Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Get digital scales. Weigh.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    when it comes to butter, mayo, etc i weigh the food as opposed to measuring it. with weight i know that i have a proper serving... if i use a tablespoon then my measurements tend to be heaping :)
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I find that even measuring spoons are off!!!

For instance today I measured one tablespoon (not heaping, just leveled) of Chia seeds and dropped into the bowel that was on my scare (zeroed) and it measured 12g. As per the packaging one serving is 2 tablespoons = 12g, but as far as my measurements go 2 tablespoons was far more than 12g. So I measured 12g (one measuring tbsp) and logged it as 2 tbsp.

make any sense? :ohwell:
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yeah a tablespoon is normally 15g / 15ml. But i always use these measuring spoons just in case.

MSP-47118.jpg
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I find that even measuring spoons are off!!!

For instance today I measured one tablespoon (not heaping, just leveled) of Chia seeds and dropped into the bowel that was on my scare (zeroed) and it measured 12g. As per the packaging one serving is 2 tablespoons = 12g, but as far as my measurements go 2 tablespoons was far more than 12g. So I measured 12g (one measuring tbsp) and logged it as 2 tbsp.

make any sense? :ohwell:

Are you sure it didnt say one serving was two TEAspoons? That sounds like it would weigh 12gs, never two tablespoons :noway:
    If it didnt, then i agree with the way to logged it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I used to measure by tablespoon, and I'd always go for the first one (heaped)
    Now I measure by grams using a food scale.
  • Asiral
    Asiral Posts: 133
    Options
    I went out and bought a food scale. I weigh all my food. Usually on the nutritional information they break down the food into grams or oz. Hope that helps.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I dont think it matter THAT much to get some super accurate measurement of food the human body is not that sensative

Don't you know the calorie counts have to be exact or one will gain an astronomical amount of weight overnight?!?!?!?!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I use actual measuring spoons.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    I used to scoop it out into a tbsp until I got used to eyeballing it. But I buy half fat mayo and use a small amount so the dent only comes up to 40 calories max.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    The spoon you are using is for eating not for measuring. I would say get measuring spoons but even those are not accurate. If you really want to be accurate, go spend 20 bucks at Target on a digital scale....it will change your life!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    To the poster who scoffed at wanting to be this accurate...it IS a big deal with a dietary goal of 1200 cal vs a man's 2500 calories. There is a study that concluded that overweight women tend to understimate their intake by over 20%. That's 240 calories (of a 1200 calorie diet), which can severely limit or even stall one's weight loss. So yes, it is important.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    So, what's 1tbsp of mayo?! I'm so confused. How do you meassure that? Don't get me wrong I like how nearly all foods are to find in our database but some of the meassurements really annoy/confuse me. Lately, I've been putting too much mayo on my diary than what I actually ate, due to being scared that I might put too little on it. (later on I meassured everything myself and now I'm certain ^^)...

But, what do you considder being 1tbsp? I've fooled around with some pics and these are the two options I've thought about:

scaled.php?server=208&filename=onespoon.jpg&res=landing

This one I found the most obvious, since it's with top and if I read from an recipe - I would count tbsp with top...

onespoon2.jpg

... Buuuut then I started counting this way, that a spoon had to be topped off - I'd rather put too much calories on my diary, than too little and avoid cheating so I started thinking that it was rather 2spoons than one I had and so on. I was to horrible wrong...

So people - how do you think about meassurements? Do you ALWAYS meassure your food correctly or do you stick to many of the premades in here? And how do YOU define one TBSP? :) Have a nice day.

If in doubt, buy a set of measuring spoons. Problem solved!
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    A measuring spoon. lol... or just go with mustard! :)
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    thanks for all the tips about the scale. i've wanted to get one. i didn't know the measure spoon/ or cups would not be completely accurate.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, it's the 2nd pitcure.

However, weighing it is the best way. And, much less than you think. When I started weighing everything I was surprised at how little a serving is. For example, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, is not 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. It's something less.
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    yep I use measuring spoons myself and I like the mayo with olive oil saves on some calories
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    To the poster who scoffed at wanting to be this accurate...it IS a big deal with a dietary goal of 1200 cal vs a man's 2500 calories. There is a study that concluded that overweight women tend to understimate their intake by over 20%. That's 240 calories (of a 1200 calorie diet), which can severely limit or even stall one's weight loss. So yes, it is important.
    I am a man with a goal of 2500 calories per day, and even to me it is a big deal. Why bother tracking food if you won't be accurate? Obviously there are certain things that are tough to measure, but I strive for accuracy. It seems counter-productive to just guesstimate everything. That's what led to me being Err2 lbs in the first place.

So to the OP, I'll echo the sentiments of the smarter ones - get a digital scale, weigh your food. You can find mayo listed in grams in the database, and it seems that "1tbsp" is around 13 grams according to many of the listings I checked. 15g for 1tbsp is for water, so other substances may be a little different.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    That would be a level tablespoon, a heaped one is obviously heaped! But a tablespoon is 15g and I think it'd be slightlymore than that. As people have said though, a gram +/- won't be a huge thing if you're being careful everywhere :)

The measurement that gets me is cups....what the hell is a cup? (sorry to answer a question with a question!)

a cup is 8 ounces.

Surely a cup is a measure of volume rather than weight, so a cup of marshmallows would weigh less than a cup of nuts, for example :)
    Fluid ounces. 8 ounces = 237 ml.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options