weight loss with severe knee injury

Options
I just want to know of any successful weight loss stories that have had knee injuries involved. I was in a car accident back in November and had a fractured knee cap. I am able to bend it finally but still am extremely limited. I've been working out with turbo fire and was starting my second week today when something happened to my knee to where it started hurting even more than normal making me end the workout early. Now I am limping again. I just want to hear of any success stories that have had something physical preventing them but yet overcoming their inability. Thanks in advanced. :)

Replies

• Chocolatewoman
    Chocolatewoman Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't have any stories to tell you but I have a link to share. I've never tried them but there are a series of DVD called Sit and Be Fit:

http://www.sitandbefit.org/index.php?page=store&category=video

These videos are for people with limited mobility and may help you in the interim. I'm sure there's a video or two about them on YouTube.

These may not give you a sweaty workout but a little something is better than a whole lot of nothing.

Be well.
  • mcknightland
    Options
    I have what amounts to a fractured knee cap also (surgery in 2 days!). Swelling and pain come and go for me as well. My working out boiled down to short walks and "exercise" on the Wii. All of my gym time disappeared because it would just get too painful.

I have lost 35 pounds since January 6, 2012.

It can be done! MFP is a great site for tracking how you are eating. I find it amazing that I've lost this much weight with virtually no exercise. It just makes me look forward to a few months from now when I'm rehabbing and able to work out again.

It can definitely be done. It may be a little slower than some success stories on here but every ounce lost just gets you closer to your goal. Good luck!
  • lesleyt1982
    lesleyt1982 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    4yrs ago I ruptured my acl. All the doctors thought that I was dislocating my patella( kneecap)& had done it 9x. Turns out after a MRI I am now awaiting surgery for reconstruction. In the last four yrs I have continued to exercise but ad to change what I did. Now do alot of walking, spinning, swimming and zumba but only if its strong. Most important. Know ur limitations, know when to rest and keep going. Low impact. No jumping.
    I have lost 2st this year. I think that classes as a success, although nit fully there yet.
  • Knee2010
    Knee2010 Posts: 10
    Options
    I wrecked a motorcycle in Jan 2009 and tore up my right leg pretty bad. Spent almost that entire year healing broken bones, learning how to walk again, had 3 surgeries on it and ended up having to do a total knee replacement. I still have lots of issues with that knee due to the extreme damage that was done from the accident. In Nov 2011 I had a VSG done to help me lose the excess weight since my leg limits what I can do in the gym. I have lost almost 80 pounds now. I go to the gym 3-4 days a week doing mostly cardio and swimming since I can't do weight bearing workouts. Even with all this, I actually "feel" healthier and stronger than I have in years. When you have a physical limitation it is just that, a limitation. Not a complete stoppage. Dont let this stop you completely from becoming a healthier you! You may find that you have to modify some of the exercises and chances are there will be some (a few) things that you just can't do anymore, but there are still things that can be done. Make sure and ask your physical therapists and/or doctors for some modified exercises and a list of do's & don'ts. It does get better. but it takes time. Keep hanging in there and don't give up!
  • lesleyt1982
    lesleyt1982 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I feel the above is spot on. Ask ur physio, I'll b surprised what U can do.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!