Grandma ready to take control

Options
HI All,

I am a Grandmother of 5 that would like to take her life back now that I have only one child left at home. I have given 150% like all other mother's and now that I am a Grandmother can start going back to remember me, without the guilt!!!

I have started working out again, and although I can't remember life without a diet, I am changing my entire life style. My goal is to be in the best shape as I was getting out of high school. I know this will take some time, it took me 26 years to get to where I am today, but I have my sights on a triathalon for 2011 and I know I can do it.

I look forward to keeping up a log and writing down something each day, I have all my old polariod pictures of me out and about the house to keep me motiatved.

So cheers to all my new buddies and will see you at the finish line....:smile:

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi. Welcome to MFP. :smile:
  • CFRFitnessKing
    Options
    Just starting here myself. thanks for sharing your thoughts.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi Leslie and CFR, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "all topics", then "general", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As for exercise, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also recently aquired the Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!!! You will love it here if you don't already. I :heart: this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • leslie63
    leslie63 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I completely agree that water truly flushes out the fat. I've finally rid my life of soda by drinking Seltzer Water and adding some lemon, lime or orange juice. Soda is soooo bad of the joints, bones etc but it's harder to quit than smoking. Plus I was reading how even diet soda was often making people heavier because the sweetner made people crave sweets.

I have been working out daily, my daughter likes the 70's and 80's (not quite ready to call those oldies yet!) so I have her IPOD at the gym or while out walking. I have been trying to stay positive since I do remember the days when I would go on a 3 day apple diet and lose 10 lbs, it isn't working any more :sad:

I had a good week albeit only 1 lb lost, it's not the same and it not going up and I physicially feel better.

have a great weekend
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I completely agree that water truly flushes out the fat. I've finally rid my life of soda by drinking Seltzer Water and adding some lemon, lime or orange juice. Soda is soooo bad of the joints, bones etc but it's harder to quit than smoking. Plus I was reading how even diet soda was often making people heavier because the sweetner made people crave sweets.

I have been working out daily, my daughter likes the 70's and 80's (not quite ready to call those oldies yet!) so I have her IPOD at the gym or while out walking. I have been trying to stay positive since I do remember the days when I would go on a 3 day apple diet and lose 10 lbs, it isn't working any more :sad:

I had a good week albeit only 1 lb lost, it's not the same and it not going up and I physicially feel better.

have a great weekend

Just remember, slow and steady wins the race! If you lose it quick, you get it back quick! :wink:
    Congratulations on losing one pound, AND for feeling better! :flowerforyou: