Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Thinking of buying my mum one of these! Glad its worked for some x
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Honestly, like any method.. it really depends on much you want it. I do think it works wonders for the mental habit.
  • elorei
    elorei Posts: 6
    Options
    Get a real one. Volcano, greensmoke, something that costs a bit. Only the cheap ones have safety issues.

I don't smoke "real" cigarettes at all now. I still really like nicotine at times, and so I have the ecig. My wife says it is much easier to live with me than when I went cold turkey (which failed after 3 months, anyway).

If you have not REALLY decided not to smoke anymore though, no solution will work. Chantix/patch/ecig/whatever. None of these will work for you until you really decide you are done with smoking.
  • sandralila
    sandralila Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tried them and thought they tasted bad, I successfully quit by just doing it cold turkey. If people close to you are smoking its twice as hard, but it can b done. Good luck
  • tunktunk5583
    tunktunk5583 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just bought an electric cigarette. Today is day one of me trying to quit.. has anyone out there used this to ween themselves off from smoking and quit successfully?

I tried one and I felt nauseous!

I smoke 1/2 of what I used to smoke-not that I encourage this but I cut down after I had a series of bad colds and bronchitis.

Best of luck to you and good for you!
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I bought the Smoke Everywhere electronic cigarette, and used it for maybe two weeks. One day I forgot to charge it, so you know what I did? Went out and bought a pack! I found it to be a waste of $100. I think they do have over the counter ones you can buy at gas stations and CVS/Walgreens... I haven't tried those yet, but they are definitely a cheaper alternative. Never hurts to try!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Options
    They are dangerous, can cause very poor health from side effects. Not that smoking is a healthy choice either, but it's not the right method.

Curious as to what side effects you are referring to. I have only had positive side effects, breathing better, smelling, tasting, etc. Also not sure how they are dangerous, there was one case of "blowing up". I've used mine for three years and never had an issue. You could also burn down your house from falling a sleep with a cig, but it doesn't stop people from using them.

All-in-all they are much better than cigs, IMO.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I quit with lozenges (little tic-tac sized mints full of nicotine.) Some people say that the gum and lozenges will just make you addicted to those, instead, but I was willing to risk that. Anything has to be better than inhaling smoke!

As it turned out, they worked great for dealing with cravings, and then I gradually used them less and less. I don't remember making any particular effort to stop using them.
  • millerhillbabe
    Options
    My niece and her hubby switched to ele sigs and they are much happier they didn't quit but they feel better because a lot of the caustic elements are gone.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Options
    Get a real one. Volcano, greensmoke, something that costs a bit. Only the cheap ones have safety issues.

I don't smoke "real" cigarettes at all now. I still really like nicotine at times, and so I have the ecig. My wife says it is much easier to live with me than when I went cold turkey (which failed after 3 months, anyway).

If you have not REALLY decided not to smoke anymore though, no solution will work. Chantix/patch/ecig/whatever. None of these will work for you until you really decide you are done with smoking.

My husband has said the same thing and even lets me use it in his car. He says it smells like cotton candy. :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    They are dangerous, can cause very poor health from side effects. Not that smoking is a healthy choice either, but it's not the right method.

As stated, the cheaper ones are the dangerous ones.... The link I posted is actually to the industry-standard e-cig. My BF works in an office full of nerds and they are all allowed to use their e-cigs inside. They were actually given one each for Christmas by the higher ups to reduce health insurance costs and reduce smoke breaks.

Anyway, these "nerds" (very smart people who do linux administration/server monitoring all day) are all very competitive and want the best of the best in their vaping (vaping = using vapor = ecig/other vaping device). The Provape or Provari is still the best on the market.

When I quit smoking before, the Ecig satisfies your nic craving, but you still crave a cigarette every now and then. Why? Because of the 32 pages of ingredients the cigarette has, not the nicotine itself. You actually crave all the other crap they have in it, addictive additives, rat poison and all. Ecig definitely helps, it has much fewer toxins than a regular cig. Not as good as quitting entirely, but much much better. I could run and work out, and my muscles would actually get tired before I would lose my breath, instead of vice versa with the smoking cigarettes.

Looking forward to quitting smoking again with the e-cig once my new batteries come in. Was stupid to start again anyway, but I still smoke much less than I did before I quit the first time.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would mention this because it is absolutely ridiculous, but Indianapolis has a smoking ban. One of the council members has now proposed a ban on E cigarettes as well!! Apparently non-smoking isn't good enough, kids are still getting the wrong message from the e-cigs. :noway:
  • Meliklotz
    Meliklotz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am.
    Have been smoke free since 2-24-2011
    You can do this!!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything...E-cigs just weren't the same & I still had the habit of putting something in my hands & mouth...The best thing that I have tried is a book - Crazy huh? But I highly recommend it...'The EASYWAY to Stop Smoking' by Allen Carr....I have heard really great things & for only $10 bucks its worth it to try it out....I read it & quit cold turkey but unfortunately started back up...UGH!! I am now reading it again... Best of luck! :)
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other replies but my uncle was on 40 a day about 2 months ago. Now he has max 5 while using the electric cig. Seems to be working for him. My aunt has quit completely!!! You can do it x
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    I've got 2 Joye E10's. I absolutely love them. I go back and forth between smoking and not smoking. An E-Cig has always made the transition easier for me. I prefer the Joye E10 due to the accessories and conveniences it has, though there are many other models that have similar options.

Edit: I've read the book by Allen Carr that some have mentioned. I recommend it as well, and you can generally find a pdf version of it around online still from a promotion a while back. If you're close-minded while reading this book, it will not work for you at all. You have to want to quit.
  • auroranflash
    Options
    Just thought I would mention this because it is absolutely ridiculous, but Indianapolis has a smoking ban. One of the council members has now proposed a ban on E cigarettes as well!! Apparently non-smoking isn't good enough, kids are still getting the wrong message from the e-cigs. :noway:

You guys need a petition! That is ridiculous! Tell them they're just like fog machines... I smoke IN my office all the time and people walk in and out - no one can ever tell!
  • ImTheMadHatter
    Options
    I started e-cigs 2 weeks ago...I am an almost 30 year smoker, by the way (42 years old). I recently started bikram yoga to try to lose weight (I'm working on more than a 60 lb weight loss goal)...smoking and hot and humid don't go well together. Since I started smoking the e-cigs...I've had easier time breathing, my lungs have been working at trying to clear themselves out (the smoker cough you get when you try quitting), I don't huff and puff trying to get around. Also, you take out everything about the cigarette, except for the nicotine (and whatever flavoring you choose). It's a nebulizer that converts the nicotine and flavor into a vapor...so, if you're going to be a smoker...believe it or not, it's been referred to as almost being a "healthy way" of being a smoker, if you're going to continue doing it...it knocks out the actual smoke inhalation, and all the other carcinogens associated with the smoking.
    I have read somewhere, you can also control the AMOUNT of nicotine you intake...that, I'm not sure about, I know you can get the e-cigs with or without nicotine...
    I noticed I have "smoked" alot less since getting these. You don't feel like you have to "race" the cigarette to get the most drags out of it before it burns out. This one...you can drag once or twice...be satisfied...and leave it alone...
    If you're trying to quit...the bottom line, you will quit if your WANT TO... and it takes alot of work and will power.
    E-cigs...in my opinion...could be a good catalyst/help...if you seriously want to quit, but need to wean yourself off. Only you can make that final decision (like any other anything bad for you) to finally say "no more."
    I wish you lots of luck...it's hard, I know!! But, YOU CAN TOTALLY DO IT!!! :)
  • jspiliotopoulos
    Options
    I haven't tried electric cigarettes, but when I quit smoking five years ago, I was taught to brush my teeth often, and drink strongly flavored juices (like Grapefruit) to alter the chemistry of my mouth. The general idea was that worst nicotine withdrawal would happen in the first week, and afterwards the strongest cravings would be caused by triggers - usually relating to tastes, smells, textures, and events in the mouth. The juice (taken with every craving) neutralizes that, as does the frequent brushing.

It worked for me. I threw out my box of smokes, and never looked back.
  • auroranflash
    Options
    I have read somewhere, you can also control the AMOUNT of nicotine you intake...that, I'm not sure about, I know you can get the e-cigs with or without nicotine...

Just to clarify this point, when you buy the e-juice (the drops you put in your e-cig of the liquid that gets vaporized), you can usually choose how many milligrams of nicotine come in the juice. Just as an example, I've bought this Blackberry Rum flavor before and you can choose between 0mg, 6, 12, 18, or 24.

https://www.ttteliquids.com/Shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=7

...so you can start with the 24mg and then slowly cut back until you are at 0mg. I personally still use the 24mg, and I don't buy the flavored juices anymore, just the regular, because it tends to gum up the atomizer and reduce the life of it (sometimes by quite a bit).