Need some advice, please.

Options
I need some advice on how to get through the next few days. My dad is having surgery Thursday and, of course, I'm the designated caregiver. He is having the surgery in a bigger town that is a 1 hour, 30 minute drive from where we live, so we will leave early in the morning to get there on time. He will be kept in the hospital overnight and probably for the better part of the next day. After he comes home, I will spend Friday and Saturday night with him to make sure everything is ok before I go back home.

I'm really concerned about my diet during this time and I'm not quite sure what to do. I will probably pack a lunch and some snacks Thursday morning to have at the hospital, but I don't think that I should pack all of my meals because I'm not sure if my hotel room will have a refrigerator. I'm not too concerned about when we come back Friday because my dad will eat whatever I cook; but he may have some diet restrictions that may limit me. I don't know, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I doubt that I will have internet access for those 3 days, and I don't have a smart phone, so I probably won't be able to log what I eat. Should I just do the best I can and not worry about it or try to pack everything?

I know this wouldn't be a big deal to a lot of people, but my diet is very important to me, especially since I got off track last week. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• racha2424
    racha2424 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Definitely pack all snacks cuz healthy ones can be harder to find if your busy or on the road. As for meals just remember what you're working towards and be smart about what you eat. Even if u eat out you can get grilled instead of fried foods, salads, veggies. I believe in you!! :bigsmile:
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Make healthy choices, pack what you can and do a mental running total of your calories... by now you know what you can and can't have...good luck with your Dad's surgery!
  • Diamond241
    Diamond241 Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree, try an during healthy snacks. I wouldn't try and stress about it much as stress causes our bodies to release the cortisol hormone which in excess goes right to our midsection which in turn leads to more fat around the belly. Just take a deep breath and take one step at a time :)
  • 123Linz
    123Linz Posts: 80
    Options
    I would plan ahead and make everything ahead, even if there's not a refrigerator you could take a cooler and keep it topped up with ice.
    Call ahead to the hotel and ask them what's in the room, ie fridge microwave? The info may even be online.

If there's a microwave, you could make meals and freeze them before you go, that way they will be slowly defrosting by the time you need to eat.

Pack salads in Tupperware and zip-lock bags, and put on ice.
    For snacks buy the calorie counted ones or weigh your own. Take lots of fruit.
    Think what you have eaten during the last week, then adjust it so that it can travel with you

hope that helps a little
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I hope the surgery is sucessful and his recovery is quick :)
    As for you, I travel A LOT so this is my advice.
    A lot of hotels do have mini fridges available. You can call the hotel and ask about them. Usually they are an extra $25 a day but are worth it to me especially since they come with a microwave most of the time. It would be great for storing fruits, salads, etc. They also tend to have wifi or cables in rooms for internet. If not, they should have a business center. Their internet tends to be free if it's not a hotel is a posh part of town. Again, you can call ahead and see if they have it.
    Hopefully that helps.
  • Jennalynna777
    Options
    Call the hotel and see if they have refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms, if that is an option, request one, that would help. Most hotels also have free internet in each room, so if you have a laptop, take that with you and you can hook up for free. If you don't have a laptop, most hotels also have an area with computers you can log into. There are also workout areas, if you can't eat the best, maybe a little bit on a treadmill would counteract what you have taken in.

Just a couple of ideas!!! Hope all is well with your dad and surgery is a success.

Jenna
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    pack healthy snacks, try to eat healthy food if you have to eat out and try not to worry, hope all goes well
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Make healthy choices, pack what you can and do a mental running total of your calories... by now you know what you can and can't have...good luck with your Dad's surgery!

I second this.

Can you call the hotel and find out if there is a refrigerator in there? Sometimes even if there isn't they will accommodate you and bring one for you. If there isn't a refrigerator and you can't bring all your food just make the healthiest choices you can when you eat out and if you have to ask them to wrap up half the portion of your meal when you order.

Good luck with your dads surgery and don't fret too much if you fall off calorie and food wise during this time. Just get back on track when you're at his house helping him out.
  • duhblond
    duhblond Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    Best of luck for your father.
    I think the first thing I would do would be to call the hotel as I assume you already have reservations and ask about in room refrigerators... once you know that answer it would be easier to plan....
    But regardless of the fridge you can still pack other snack foods that are easy and don't need to be cool. They will help you to stay on target and you will probably eat more with the added stress so at least you know you are making wise choices of what you eat.
    Good luck.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you'll be at a hospital a LOT for those days, and they generally have cafeterias with good, healthy options! You might do well to check out THAT option first :)
  • DeeNyceRN
    DeeNyceRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hope all goes well with your Dad's surgery. I agree that you should bring your own food. i went out of town last weekend to visit my family. I borught all my own food and snacks. We ate 1 meal out and I made healthy choices for that meal. I don't know if you like tuna fish but the foil packs of tuna are great to take along as they don't need to be refrigerated.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Your dad is your number one priority. 3 days is not going to throw you off too bad. You know what choices to make. Choose a turkey sandwich over a hamburger. Pack healthy snacks. But if you eat a candy bar or chips, its not that big of a deal. Prayers for you and your family!
  • sistertransister
    sistertransister Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I can relate!! Not planning ahead is a HUGE downfall for my choices! I have to plan or I do not make good choices and its a downward spiral!! :) I agree with those who suggested to call ahead and find out what your room will have in it. Also the hospital will have a refrigerator in its famly courtesy room where the coffee and juice and ginger ale is kept. You could make something in bulk--that you enjoy and take that and eat off of it several times. Def pack lots of snacks. And don't forget to throw your tennis shoes in your bag. That will help! You can do some stair climbing or outside walking around the hospital to offset your limitations to your food choices for the next several days. You can do this!!!! :)
  • PaigeStephenson
    PaigeStephenson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Renee.
    Good for you for planning ahead! I think the healthy snacks are a great plan. As for the rest of your meals, I would say do your best! This is going to be a tremendously stressful time as it is. Go into this with your mind clear that you will eat as healthy as you can and not fall too far off the wagon but don't over think things. Your dad needs you at your best. Besides, even the fact that you are conscious of this now says to me that you will not over-indulge.

I wish you and your dad the best for the next few days.

Cheers

ps - feel free to add me if you'd like

p