Lost pounds, gained inches on waist/Help?

Options
Hello all. My name is Beth and I've recently lost nine/ten pounds, but I've gained an inch and a half on my waist. I exercise five times a week (usually 45 minutes to an hour), but cannot run due to a waiver and shin splints (my exercise leaders aren't happy about it) so, I walk my butt off. I'm also a Vegetarian, so my meals consist of lots of veggies, about a cup or two of pasta and some other various forms of nutrition (no meat). I drink milk and I eat egg whites. I do not drink soda and, due to my being a Vegetarian, whenever I eat out, I watch what I put in my mouth. Mind you, I do not eat out a lot. Also, I don't eat a lot of sweets. Maybe once a week, I'll spoil myself.
Anyway, you get the drift. Any suggestions/anwers would be helpful. And no, there's no way I'm pregnant.

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    If I eat any dairy AT ALL, my waist measurement can increase as much as an inch. Then, if I lay off dairy for a few days, it will go back down.

Sometimes I have pain from eating dairy, sometimes not.

Some people experience problems with glutens or other foods to which they may not realize they are sensitive.

The only way to be certain is to cut out a suspicious food for a week or two, then add it back in and see what happens.

Now, for a completely different idea, if you have been doing heavy squats and/or deadlifts and you already had a relatively slim waist, the increase in muscle mass at the waist can increase that measurement.
  • EnClark01
    EnClark01 Posts: 6
    Options
    Sleepytexan; I weigh 168 and have a waist of 36.5. I'm in no way "slim." I also don't do weight lifting. I have an athletic build due to being part German and don't want my muscles to get bigger anytime soon.
    I'm also fine on dairy, but not so much on grain and carbs. However, because I'm a Vegetarian, I need my protein and one of the ways that I obtain my protein is through beans, vegetables, and grains.
  • Diamond241
    Diamond241 Posts: 16
    Options
    If you have any stress going on, then this produces a lot of cortisol hormone which goes right to your belly area causing fat storage there. Maybe this is why???
  • EnClark01
    Options
    Diamond241; I am in the Military so life is naturally stressful, but I guess that I COULD say that there's been a tiny bit more stress this past year; however, there's nothing saying that I cannot lose weight because I'm currently doing so!! LOL.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    if youve been working out more than usual- it could be water bloat because youre still in recovery from your workouts. Or it could just be that time of your monthly cycle where you hold on to more water. Or- if youve recently cut down on your workout time significantly, and its been stopped for quite some time- you could be losing muscle mass and your body may be gaining fat.
  • EnClark01
    Options
    yoovie; I'm not losing muscle and gaining fat. = / I'm working out five times a week for 45 minutes to an hour. I just finished my monthly cycle and lost those three to five pounds of water that's retained during that part of my life. It COULD be from water bloat due to exercising more, but I doubt it. I've been doing this five times a week exercise thing for almost three months now. It's nothing new to me...

Well, I'm at a lose here. I've been told to eat less, stop being a vegetarian, to sweat and workout more/longer, and that because I am a *new* vegetarian then, it's due to bloating because of gass.... and that maybe I'm losing muscle due to being a vegetarian and not getting protein, which I am... Quite enough protein, by the way. :grumble: I'm going to a dietician (sp?) and will hopefully get some answers.
  • winniethepooh751
    winniethepooh751 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know this is old but the same thing happened to me. My waistline went up by 2 inches since I started back working out but I've lost 6 pounds. I'm hoping that some of it is period bloat and whatever isn't is from the addition of heavy weights back into my routine.