Healthy foods to keep at the office?

Options
I'm looking for ideas for additional things. Here's what I keep at work (luckily we have a large refrigerator!): Walnuts, High Fiber English Muffins, Hard Boiled Eggs, Smart Balance, Jam, Apples, Coromega Orange Squeeze Packets, Propel Zero powder packets, Nature's Path Berry Strawberry Flax Plus, Swiss Miss No Sugar Added packets (60 calories per serving but they have Calcium), El Rey 73% cocoa dark chocolate discs.

On Sundays I hard boil a carton of eggs and buy english muffins and apples for the week. Before going to bed Sunday night, I set out a grocery sack with the stuff that doesn't need to be refrigerated in it, and write on a piece of paper a list of what I need to pull out of the refrigerator in the morning to add to the sack and take to work.

Replies

• SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've got a pretty good list of stuff already! I usually have some instant oatmeal packets in my desk drawer and sometimes 100-calorie popcorn. I also keep different flavors of tea, as I've found sometimes when I want a snack, I can get by with sipping on something hot, and it curbs my appetite.

Since you have access to a fridge, string cheese and yogurt would be good options as well.
  • Krisgren
    Krisgren Posts: 95
    Options
    Woohoo, you are super organized. Let me think what I have in my locker, 100 cal popcorn packs on the nightshifts, oatmeal packets (can make your own and prepackage in ziplocs), almonds, pumpkin seeds, different green teas, wasa bread (i like with avocado ((which I usually bring in at the beginning of my week and just slice off pieces as I go)) and a piece of turkey for a snack.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    How about some fruit and veg such as bits of carrot or celery, delicous with any oatmeal biscuits or such.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    unsweetened apple sauce
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    wow, you do a great job of keeping it together. I like almonds and I believe someone already mentioned low cal popcorn, and hot drinks like green tea.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I always have a bag of homemade granola, greek yogurt, vinaigrette salad dressings, cottage cheese, egg whites, and a few homemade frozen meals like burritos, chili, and soup.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    almonds
    jar of Peanut Butter
    I have a container of protein mix and a shaker in my office too
  • AbacoRaveness
    Options
    My two staples that "live" at work are a jar of peanut butter and a bag of wasabi peas that I keep in my desk drawer. I bring other things daily in my cooler (apple or orange, carrots or slices of red bell, mini babybel light) and those are my usual snacks. But, if I forget to bring something or I'm stuck late or something I know I have those two things that keep well and are always yummy!
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    The only foods I keep at the office are tea and dark chocolate covered almonds. I allow myself 2 almonds every day after lunch. The day I eat 3, the rest will go in the trash. It has worked for several months. It is my little indulgence. And it helps keep the sweet tooth at bay at night.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good list! In the fridge I have greek yogurts, celery sticks, baby carrots, protein shakes, hummus and hard boiled eggs. In my snack drawer I have almonds, pistashios, peanut butter packets, popcorn, applesauce, craisins, granola, soup packets, instant oatmeal, pretzels, and raisins. Then I usually bring a apple, orange or banana in my bag! :)
  • lichensandseeds
    lichensandseeds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Slice carrot sticks, celery sticks, and radish halves and bring them with hummus or laughing cow cheese.
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    my friend likes to eat sliced red/yellow/green peppers

I like plums diced up.
    Frozen grapes
    Raisins
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I like to keep things that won't go bad quickly and don't require refridgeration like walnuts, pecans, craisins, lentil soup, fixings for oatmeal (dry oats, cinnamon, protein powder, nuts), and I recently found these apple sauce packets called GoGoSqueeze that I really like. They are for kids but they don't require a spoon and if you don't want to eat it all you can put the lid back on and save it for later! I also keep a variety of teas and crystal light packets.

Sometimes I also keep a pack of my favorite high protein veggie burgers in the freezer. They are good when I'm headed to the gym after work and know I won't get to eat dinner until late.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I know there is still the sodium and caffeine factors to take into account (well, unless it's herbal tea) but I've found bringing 'chocolate' tea has helped a little bit with curbing down my sweet tooth, I still get that little bit of satisfaction from chocolate without as many calories. Almonds, apples with peanut butter, string cheese - you really do have an advantage too with having a fridge, bring veggies and hummus :)
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    In my drawer
    100 calorie popcorn bags
    oatmeal packets
    almonds
    suckers
    sugar free mints
    pretzels
    drink packets

Fridge
    Hard boiled eggs (just eat the whites)
    String cheese
    apples
    baby carrots
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have so much stuff at work that it makes my coworkers laugh, but it keeps me from eating the cake and cookies that's usually in the kitchen.

I keep:

Low fat animal crackers
    Cottage Cheese
    Apples
    Laughing Cow cheese wedges
    low fat pretzels
    instant oatmeal packets
    100 calorie snack packs
    english muffins
    triscuts
    peanut butter or nutella
    Pretzel crisps
    on-the-go water mixers
    almonds
  • mpbfmom
    mpbfmom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Almonds, mini pero peppers (they are sweet & 3 = 25 calories), sugar snap peas, hummus, 34 whole grain crispbreads (9 = 35 calories & tastes great with hummus), cheese sticks, organic peanut butter to eat with bananas.
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Where to start. I pack a lunch bag everydy with all of my snacks and parts of meals in it. I go to work at 6AM so i wait to eat breakfast until I get to work (it helps me until lunch). breakfast consists of oatmeal with dried fruit mixed in, or some dry cereal; and a piece of fruit. I have a morning snack fo veggies, carrots, cauliflower, pepper, etcs. I just found hummus packets by Wild garden that DONT need refrigerated and they are yummy. My lunch is normally a salad for the salad bar, but sometimes i bring a packet of tuna for on it and something like pretzels or crackers. In the afternoon, I will have 1/2 of trail mix.

I keep in my desk for days that I am really hungry or forgot to pack food chewy bars, nature valley granola bars, prepackaged trailmix, instant oatmeal ( i use the quick oats above), craisins, mini luna bars, and a variety of crystal light packets. i also have some jelly beans and hershey's kisses when I get really hard up for sweets.

i like all the other ideas too!
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    In my desk drawer and office fridge currently:
    salad + dressing (today's lunch)
    healthy choice fozen meal (emergency meal if I forget to pack or work late and need dinner)
    carrots
    apple
    yogurt
    almonds
    pistachios
    triscuits
    nature valley granola bar
    dove dark chocolate promises (have one after lunch and another mid afternoon if I'm really craving!)

I also frequently bring:
    Laughing Cow cheese wedges
    cheese sticks
    pear/grapes/strawberries/banana, etc
    cottage cheese
    microwave popcorn (100 calorie snack packs)
    hummus
  • tessamajesa
    Options
    I like to always have tinned soup at work so there's always a good lunch at the ready. Green Giant sweetcorn, small tin, sometimes I eat it right out of the tin! Have recently bought a bag of deluxe fruit and nut from Julian Graves and a handful of that with a cup of tea is a great energy boost, they're also nicer than normal mixed nuts because it has pecans, cashews and cranberries.