A little backwards...regarding protein

Options
2»

Replies

• WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    My macros are set at 40/30/30, and my suggested protein is literally more than I weigh.

Edit: Grams to pounds
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein default is VERY low. I lose weight better with more protein/less carbs. I might have to peek at your diary to see what you snack on since I never seem to be able to get as much protein as I would like! :flowerforyou:

Definitely agree. The default Is very low. I'm eating at least a gram of protein per pound of my body weight and much lower carbs they are suggesting and i have great results
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I average 130g of protein a day. You don't want to try and stay at what MFP sets you, the set you very low to begin with. Don't worry about going over, if anything try and make sure your always red in that numbers!

Edit** My macros are set at 40/40/20 (p/c/f)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I always go over on protein and fibre. So annoying...lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hi-

I just started using MFP 2 weeks ago. I am loving it so far! I'm a bit surprised by how much protein I'm eating. I have not necessarily changed my eating habits, but have been entering everything in and adjusting portions and what I choose for snacks to meet my daily intakes. Going into this I would have thought that I would have more issues keeping my calories, carbs, and fats down, but it's actually the protein I'm having difficulty with!

Do you have diabetes or any other disease or ailment that could affect your kidneys? If not, then extra protein in unlikely to hurt you. Eating more protein than your body can use tasks your kidneys, so the "more protien is better" advice you get a lot on MFP is not always true. If your protein numbers are consistently way over the goal, or you have any medical conditions, it would be wise to talk to your physician about it to be sure it's not a problem for you.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Please share what you are eating!!! My macros are set at 40/30/30 (c/p/f) and I'm not a nazi about carbs or fat but I try to at least meet my protein and its darn near impossible!!! So I try to get close and at least break 100!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you using the default macros? The consensus seems to be that the protein requirements are on the low side.

The MFP consensus maybe, but not the medical consensus. Too much protein can be quite dangerous for some people.
  • mdinardo73
    mdinardo73 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Iron isn't necessarily in abundance in protein rich foods, more so in red meats and your leafy greens, dark greens.... A good multi-vitamin should top up your protein requirements. Even as a vegetarian I still find that my iron levels are good.... but I take a multi :)