Replies

• DBBA21
    DBBA21 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • abigcat
    abigcat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :happy: Some interesting info here will save this thread. Thanks to everyone whose responded :-))
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I make what I call "Indian hobo stew" (and other times just "hobo stew" if it does not have Indian spices in it) out of whatever organic vegetables are on sale, with either paneer, which can be higher in calories, or quorn vegetarian roast cut up in it as good protein, and sometimes Seeds of change organic simmer sauces or even Amy's brand soup which is called something like curried lentil, which might be considered cheating: if so, use whatever your favourite Indian spices are. I enjoy making enough for a few meals during the week, and it runs out before I get sick of it, and is easy to just reheat in the pan.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Vahrehvah is a great website. The chicken biryani recipe is excellent! I try and tweak all their recipes to avoid using oil or butter or too much masalas though.
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Check out: www.showmethecurry.com
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump-sounds delish!
  • Pspetal
    Options
    Great website! Only thing is, the Indian food recipes on most websites are for restaurant versions of the dish which can screw my daily calorie limits. The same thing made at home would taste almost totally different and about a 100 times healthier. Big problem with Indian food recipes online! I have to keep calling my mum for oil-free versions of recipes... Also, they are usually Punjabi dishes which tend to be too heavy for me since I'm south Indian and eat very different food.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Dal Chawal. lol

Most of the Indian food is so high in cals but the taste is OH-SO-GOOD. I'll list some of my favorite dishes:

Chicken Biryani
    Chicken Pulao
    Kebabs (Shami, Seekh, Shish, Tikka and who knows how many other variations are there)
    Paratha. Also see Aloo Paratha and Keema Paratha (just typing these makes me drool!)
    Rajma Curry
    Chickpea Curry/Chole Masala
    Palak Gosht Curry (Spinach w/meat)
    Bhindi Sabzi (Okra fried/stew)
    Dal Chawal (Lentils with rice. my favorite of the simple/easy to cook dishes)
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Curry Base it will serve 4-6 (recipe taken from the River Cottage TV Series)
    2 tsp. cumin seeds,
    1 tsp. fennel seeds
    2 tsp. coriander seeds
    Toast in a frying pan to release the fragrance and until lightly brown
    Then add to
    1 onion,
    1 tsp. fenugreek seeds
    1 tsp. turmeric
    3 cloves of garlic or less if you don’t like it
    1-3 small red birds eye chillies (depending on hotness and taste)
    Blend all of the above in a mixer to a coarse paste

If you like it really hot then you can also add Patak's - Vindaloo Curry Paste, 30 ml

Now you have your base dry fry or fry with a little olive oil whatever you want to go into your curry.
    I usually fry onion; mushrooms red peppers and chicken then add the paste.

Add a can of chopped tomatoes (400g size) and a can of Light coconut milk/cream (400g) and top one of the cans with water add this and leave to reduce for 1-2 hours.

Indian rice I use Basmati, serves 4
    Basmati White Rice, 1 1/2 cup dry
    2 tsp. Turmeric
    1 tsp. Ground Cumin
    1 tsp. Ground Coriander
    DO NOT rinse the rice, put in the largest pan you have along with the spices above, add boiling water, to cover the rice and nearly to the top of the pan, bring up to the boil, for 7 minutes, turn the heat off and cover with the pan lid, for a further 8 minutes, then drain and serve.

I have a wholemeal pitta pocket with mine lower in cals and the whole meal works out at 545 cals, (including all of the above and the Patak's paste) but I do this for 4 people and they have 2 spoons of curry to my 1, so if you have more don't forget to adjust the calories
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bump... I LOVE Indian food... Yummm
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything in Indiana Jones Temple of Doom looked good.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I made up an Indian version for quinoa.. it is easy and almost satisfies my butter chicken cravings. Everything is to taste and a guess - sorry I never measure. This isn't authentic in the least- just so the purists know!

cup of quinoa
    1 medium cooking onion chopped
    2 cloves of garlic chopped
    teaspoon of olive oil
    fresh ginger grated (to taste)
    curry powder (your choice and to taste)
    1/2 water 1/2 chicken stock

fresh tomato chopped
    chickpeas or other vegetable - frozen peas, spinach? (if you like)
    Chicken (pre-cooked - I marinate it in yogurt and tandoori powder and grill it)
    cilantro (or mint if you like it?)

Brown your onion, garlic, ginger in a bit of oil in a pot for a few minutes. Throw your curry powder in after, mix it around and let it cook for 30 seconds or so to bloom. Chuck in your water and chicken stock (liquid amount according to whatever your quinoa package says). Cook about 18-20 minutes or according to package. When finished, throw in your tomato, chickpeas or vegetable, chicken and cilantro. Mix it up a bit and serve with greek yogurt or cucumber raita on the side if you can be bothered to make that too!
  • Pspetal
    Options
    This is my version of chicken kebabs. Very short prep and cooking time and very low fat. They aren't actually kebabs, but they taste like them and look like gyro meat. I made about a kilo of this and we finished it in 2 days... They turned out that good. This dish is about 120 calories for 1/3 cup of chicken pieces.

3 chicken breasts diced into strips
    7-8 cloves of garlic and a tsp size piece of ginger and a handful of cilantro crushed into a paste
    cayenne pepper (as much as can be tolerated)
    salt to taste
    juice of 1/2 a lime
    very very small pinch of cardamom powder
    1 tbsp roasted cumin powder or chicken masala if you have it
    4 tbsp fat free yogurt

Mix all the ingredients above in a plastic bag, refrigerate and let the chicken marinade for however long you want. Overnight is recommended, but an hour will suffice. I was in a hurry, so I didn't leave it to marinate at all. It didn't compromise the taste really since the chicken piece were small to begin with.
    Spray some cooking oil on a baking dish and arrange the chicken mixture in a single layer on the baking dish. Keep on the upper shelf in the oven and broil on 400-450 for about 20 mins or till you can see the chicken take on a reddish hue. Remove the baking dish and turn the pieces over and broil for another 20 mins till it turns uniformly reddish brown.

Mint Cilantro chutney
    Sorry I never measure for this but add stuff according to taste. All the ingredients are blended and crushed in a food processor. Add small amounts of water to facilitate the blending. My processor jams up without some water with this mixture.

1-2 bunches cilantro
    1 bunch mint leaves
    salt to taste
    1-2 cloves garlic
    very small piece of ginger
    Thai green chillies (1 or 2 are more than enough)
    Roasted cumin powder
    Amchur powder, small pinch (Optional, can be found in any Indian store. Lends dish a sour taste)

I usually make this chutney in a large amount every month. It goes with literally everything. Mix some of this with fat free yogurt as a dip for the chicken. can be used as a yogurt sauce for homemade gyros made out of oil-free rotis.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    bumping for recipes.
  • Hubbafer
    Hubbafer Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!

Anxious to see if Butter Chicken is noted? :)
  • Pspetal
    Options
    Healthy Homemade Yellow Dal South Indian Style

I make this in a pressure cooker since it takes about 5-10 minutes. The longer way would be to make it in a pot. Can be eaten with bread, roti, rice or by itself. Its pretty filling too.

Makes 5 servings of 1 cup each
    Ingredients:
    1 cup Toor dal (split pigeon peas) soaked for an hour
    1 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
    curry leaves
    1/2 cup chopped onions (optional)
    5-6 cloves garlic crushed
    3-4 Thai green chillies cut lengthwise whole
    Spices: turmeric 1/3 tsp, asafoetida/heeng 1/3 tsp (Optional. Can be found in any Indian store.), mustard seeds (they look like tiny black balls), jeera (cumin seeds)
    cilantro
    salt to taste
    4 cups water
    1 tsp sugar

The initial part is the same for a cooker or a pot... All the directions ahead can be performed in the pressure cooker too.

Heat the ghee in a pot. Add a pinch of mustard seeds with 2 fingers.
    When the mustard seeds start jumping noisily (sorry I can't think of another way to describe the thing it does), add the onions and saute them till brown.
    Add the curry leaves, a pinch or 2 of cumin seeds, turmeric and asafoetida/heeng and move around in the pot.
    Add the soaked dal and the water. Add to it the garlic, chillies and salt.

At this point:
    If you're using a pressure cooker, shut the lid and wait till it completes 4 whistles. Open after all the pressure has been released slowly. Add the cilantro and adjust salt accordingly and stir to mix and mash the boiled dal.

If you're making this in a pot, keep boiling till the dal is fully cooked. When you taste a piece of the dal, it should completely disintegrate without you having to chew it. Once it has boiled completely, add the cilantro and stir and adjust the salt.

I'll list just the ingredients with significant calorific value (more than 10)

1 cup uncooked toor dal = 703
    1 tsp ghee = 40
    sugar = 20
    onions = 25
    Garlic = 15

Total calories = 803

Per 1 cup/serving:
    calories = 160
    Protein = 9gm
    carbs = 29gm
    fat = 2gm
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I am half Pakistani and I make Pakistani food (similar to Indian food) all the time. Use your recipe calculators!! One of the things that I do that is MOST helpful is that I only use about 2 tbs of oil for every curry recipe I make. The first step of a curry is usually to saute onions in the oil. If the onions start getting dry, I only add water. No more oil at all. It still comes out FANTASTIC

At a restaurant, go for grilled items: Tandoori chicken, kebabs and such. Stay away from cream based curries: Tikka Masala, Korma, butter chicken

Most restaurants also serve roti instead of naan. Go for the roti. Usually its made of whole wheat which is A LOT better than the white flour, eggs and butter that is used to make naan.

I will try to post some of my recipes that are in my recipe log.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My share -> Here is the recipe for Turkey Spinach Kheema (ground meat)
    You will need:
    1. Jenie-O or Foster Farms Extra Lean ground Turkey - 2 packs (32 oz total)
    2. Frozen chopped spinach -1 bag(I use trader joe's organic spinach)
    3. Cumin seeds 2 tsp, Cloves -5.
    4. Salt - 1 tsp (per taste), Tumeric 1tsp, Red chilli powder 1 tbsp, garam masala powder -1 tsp, Coriander powder 1-2 tbsp (per taste)
    5. Ginger-Garlic paste -2tbsp
    6. Oil - 1 Tbsp

In a wide bottom pat, heat oil, add cumin, cloves. After couple of secs, add ground turkey and stir constantly under the meat breaks into tiny crumbles. This should be done using low-medium heat. Add Salt and Tumeric and keep stiring. Add frozen spinach and stir constantly. Spinach adds moisture back into this extra lean meat. Once the meat is not longer pink, add ginger garlic paste and the remaining ingredients and increase the heat to med-high. Once all the liquids are all evapourated, the dish is ready.
    You can scoop into Lettuce leaves and add Greek yogurt and it is delicious. You can have it with tacos or mix it with plain rice if you want.

Recipe fits well into the Low-carb, High Protein menu plan.
  • Pspetal
    Options
    Dal Makhani/Kali dal

This is one of the most popular Indian lentil recipe around. I tried it out in the crockpot a few times and it never came out as well as I wanted it to. Yesterday I got the quantities of ingredients right!! It tasted amazing and I actually put wayyyyyy less butter and cream than I usually do. I make this in a big quantity and freeze it in batches of 2 cups since it freezes well and my husband and one friend are always asking for it! This does take a long time so its always better to make a big batch.

Total calories: 1462
    Makes 11 cups
    Cals per serving/1 cup = 130!!!
    Per cup: carbs=22gm, fat=2gm, protein=7gm

Soak 1.25 cups whole Urad dal (I think it is sold as black lentil. Indian stores call it kali dal/urad dal) and 1/2 cup red kidney beans together for 8-9 hours or overnight.

Ingredients to put into crockpot together:

Soaked black and kidney beans
    2.5 cups diced tomatoes
    1/2 cup diced onions
    10 cloves of garlic + 3 tsp ginger both + a handful of cilantro all crushed together
    4-5 Thai chillies split lengthwise (add more or use less depending on how hot you want it)
    2 tbsp roasted cumin powder
    1 tbsp cilantro seed powder (available in Indian store as coriander powder/dhaniya powder)
    1 tsp sugar
    salt to taste
    about 5-6 cups water

Cook on high for 1-2 hours. If you're not at home, simply leave it on low for 8-10 hours. I put this on at about 9pm or 10pm and have it for lunch the next day.
    Put about 1/2 to 3/4 the contents of the crockpot in a food processor and paste-ify it and put it back in. This gives the dal a creamy texture. You can also do this with a hand blender I think.

Ingredients for Tadka/seasoning:
    1 tbsp butter (can put more but it won't make a noticeable difference unless u put like 4-5 tbsp and I can't make myself do that!)
    4 tbsp half and half cream
    1/2 tsp turmeric powder
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    2 tsp garam masala powder (can use more but I like to actually taste the ingredients rather than just the masala)

Heat the butter on the stove in a small pan and when it starts to sizzle, add the cumin seeds, turmeric powder, garam masala and the cream. heat it for a bit and add the whole mixture to the crockpot. Adjust salt according to taste. Throw in a handful of finely chopped cilantro for garnishing and to give it that fresh taste...

Can be eaten with rice, bread, roti, nan or even just like that as a soup! It is unbelievably filling!
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    BUMP :D