Does green tea really help?

Options
I'm wondering does drinking green tea really help you melt away those extra pounds or it's just good for your health? Coz honestly i've been drinking it since like almost 6 years but i dont really see a big difference

Although i must agree that it does make me feel a lot healthier and i love drinking it

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    There is no food or drink that noticably affects the function of lipolysis.

However, it does contain caffeine.

Caffeine = appetite suppressent, which is why you see it marketed so often as a fat burner.

It is also as a whole, good for you...them antixidents and flavanoids n *kitten*.
  • LETTYRP05
    LETTYRP05 Posts: 36
    Options
    thanks
  • chris1816
    Options

Broscience!

Sort of, yes green tea is one of the most studied things in the world, however it does not on it's own burn fat. You still need to eat at a caloric deficit, period.

Also, the study you mentioned in your post is not quite on the mark. Green tea does not stimulte "thermogenisis", which is the generic term for "DUR BURN FAT DURR" which unfortunately gets used by doctors even. It basically encourages the liver to convert fatty acids into glycogen, and to a degre muscle tissue...

...during exercise...

That's the key point you need to keep in mind, those studies were performed on groups of men drinking green tea versus oolong tea and exercising.

Be very careful when you link to posts (one of your own at that) which takes a firm stance saying "Yes, x wil do y for you", without understanding that the person may take that info and run with it; without approaching it with other factors or habits in place.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If you love drinking it, then what does it matter if it is burning/not burning fat? It's a great zero calorie drink that does have other health benefits.

I usually have some in the afternoon at work when I've already eaten all the food I brought for the day and am starting to get hungry. Cures those afternoon cravings and I can make it to dinner.
  • chris1816
    Options
    If you love drinking it, then what does it matter if it is burning/not burning fat? It's a great zero calorie drink that does have other health benefits.

I usually have some in the afternoon at work when I've already eaten all the food I brought for the day and am starting to get hungry. Cures those afternoon cravings and I can make it to dinner.

It doesn't matter.

But she asked a question.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options

Broscience!

Sort of, yes green tea is one of the most studied things in the world, however it does not on it's own burn fat. You still need to eat at a caloric deficit, period.

Also, the study you mentioned in your post is not quite on the mark. Green tea does not stimulte "thermogenisis", which is the generic term for "DUR BURN FAT DURR" which unfortunately gets used by doctors even. It basically encourages the liver to convert fatty acids into glycogen, and to a degre muscle tissue...

...during exercise...

That's the key point you need to keep in mind, those studies were performed on groups of men drinking green tea versus oolong tea and exercising.

Be very careful when you link to posts (one of your own at that) which takes a firm stance saying "Yes, x wil do y for you", without understanding that the person may take that info and run with it; without approaching it with other factors or habits in place.

You are right.
    It doesn't really exist any food on it's own that burns fat - but we cannot deny its properties that enhance fat burning, so the coffee, so the pepper, etc.....when of course there are routines around,

Could you develop more your vision of thermogenic foods ?
    thanks
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options

This is how i see green tea

edit for screwing up the quoting!
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I asked my nutritionist and was told that basically the benefits from Drinking green tea come in the form of EGCG and the Caffeine.

If you want to get a higher dose of the EGCG take green tea pills :)

Not a magic fat burning supplement or anything, just good stuff :)
  • chris1816
    Options
    I asked my nutritionist and was told that basically the benefits from Drinking green tea come in the form of EGCG and the Caffeine.

If you want to get a higher dose of the EGCG take green tea pills :)

Not a magic fat burning supplement or anything, just good stuff :)

Fun note:

EGCG availabilty is increased if green tea is consumed along wth black pepper (in your food for example).

Sort of how you only get the maximum nutritional content of sweet potatos if there is some kind of fat (oil) involved.
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't know bout all that. But in my experience it has helped. I think mainly that is suppresses my desire for certain foods.... ie chocolate.
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't know bout all that. But in my experience it has helped. I think mainly that is suppresses my desire for certain foods.... ie chocolate.

This.

When my friends say "Let's go to Tim Hortons!" and I agree, Green Tea always rescues me from stuffing hot chocolate and a donut into my face. Which is nice. Though, sometimes I still do.

Also,when I'm bored at home/work, instead of eating the boredom, I make tea (Not just Green. I have a whole Ramona style tea cupboard of loose teas because I'm a tea snob).
  • rohmaansari
    rohmaansari Posts: 24
    Options
    thank you for all this information guys :)