Water weight, etc?

Options
When I first started at the gym two weeks ago, I weighed in at 250 :/ (don't judge haha) Today I weighed myself, and I weighed in at 231. I know there are factors like water weight and things like that, and that weight fluctuates, but is it normal to fluctuate that much? I reduced my calories, and have been religiously logging what I eat, but this seems weird to me. I know I haven't lost 19 pounds and I'm just wondering why it says that

Replies

• Absidey
    Absidey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh at different places? If you weighed at one place, is the floor carpeted or uneven? I have a huge problem with the floor for my scale at home; it's given me readings off by 15+ lbs. Water weight could definitely account for some skewing, as well as time of day and the meals you ate prior to weighing in. It could be a combination of all of the above. It's also possible that the original weigh-in was skewed, even if the current measurement is accurate.

If you're using a home scale, move it around a little and try again. If you keep getting a lower than expected number, congrats! Take some measurements for non-poundage guidance if you like. And keep doing what you're doing, because at least some of that 19 lbs was your hard work!
  • Diandra81
    Diandra81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It's actually quite possible, you've changed your lifestyle and it can come off that quickly. When I first started my journey I lost 8 pounds in four days by simple calorie reduction...limited my sodium and increased water. I couldn't believe it!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    That's really not unrealistic; I lost 15.5 pounds my first two weeks (starting at 202). If you're holding a lot of water weight and suddenly reduce your sodium intake or increase your water intake, for example, it can drop very quickly. It's not realistic to expect it to happen every week, which is what people are usually warned against.