Any Type 1 Diabetics Here?

Options
Gergal73
Gergal73 Posts: 36 Member
Hello,

I'm new to this site and am curious if there are any other Type 1 Diabetics here.

I was diagnosed with the disease at the age of 2 years so have dealt with this my entire life. I've always been heavy and losing weight for me is a difficult battle as I also struggle with severe Hypothyroidism. It not as simple as eating less and exercising more.

I would like to meet some others who know what I'm going through and who may have some suggestions and ideas as to how to get weight off without suffering from severely low blood sugars. The struggles oftentimes lead to discouragement, but I would love to be successful.

If there are others that are in my same boat, I hope you would be willing to share their experiences and ideas. Thank you!
:happy:

Replies

• chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    welcome...

go to community, and than groups. i know there are 2 groups for diabetics. i am type 2. there are probably some groups for thyroid too.

again welcome.
  • Gergal73
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! It's very much appreciated. :smile:
  • elephant0382
    elephant0382 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was diagnosed 2/17/1989 at age 6. Nice to meet you!
  • SharmelleOlson
    SharmelleOlson Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Welcome Gergal

Yes, I was diagnosed 4/15/2010, at the age of 33. I have been on a carb free diet for the past 2 years and I have lost a lot of weight by doing that, but my dietition for diabetes is worried about my calorie intake too. So one of my doctors told me about MFP on the 3rd of April and I signed up right away after that, so I have been here for five days now and I am lovinging every minute of it lol.

It is nice to meet you, Gergal!

I have added you as a friend and I hope you enjoy your time here.

Blessings, Sharmelle
  • Gergal73
    Options
    Nice to meet all who have replied. Feel free to add me if you would like. I'm here and going to try very hard to do this the right way. I would love some food and exercise ideas from everyone. Also, ideas on how to deal with the emotional side of things when the blood sugars get out of control. I have great Doctors, but it's nice to have support from those who are dealing with the same issues and know what I'm going through!

Thanks to all. :smile:
  • samanthaspears
    samanthaspears Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with type 1 last October, and have had hypothyroidism for about eleven years. I definitely know what you're going through! I've been trying my hardest to lose weight but have only lost a few pounds so far. So frustrating!
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm type 1 diabetic and was dangerously hypothyroid until i started taking levothyroxine in march. I'm still not back to my normal self and have put weight on... any encouragement and friendly advice in how to best go about this would be great :)
    Becky x
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm type 1. Diagnosed at age 12. No complications, I've been on a pump for over 15 years now and doing great. You're welcome to add me.
  • mandif3
    mandif3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I do not have diabetes, but my 12 year old son has T1. He was diagnosed at 9 years of age. I myself am considered obese right now, I went through a bad depression after the birth of my daughter and my son's diagnosis and gained all of the weight I am currently trying to lose. I can offer support, and personally like meeting people who are affected by diabetes as well. Good luck to you!
  • kit2783
    kit2783 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 as well - I was diagnosed at the age of 11.

I too have struggled with my weight, though thankfully not terribly. My biggest issue was I was feeding my insulin for quite some time. I started a new regimen thanks to my new endo and off evil NPH and on Novolog/Levemir which has done wonders for my ability to lose/maintain weight. I've lost about 24 lbs so far!

What's important is to be realistic with what you can lose and how quickly you can lose it. Also, consider the impact to your A1c. My endo said typically for every 1% reduction in A1c people typically gain 10 lbs...and the converse holds true as well. Also, my doctor said it's considerably more difficult for type 1's to lose weight in general, so set realistic goals for yourself. I've lost 24 lbs in about 7 months - slow and steady wins the race!

Good luck!!!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have been diabetic since I was 10. Also diagnosed with hypothyriodism around the same time. I have lost weight twice to be where I wanted. My 1st time failed cause I started eating too much! My 2nd time failed cause I got pregnant. Now I'm doing this for the last time! I am never going to eat too much or get pregnant again. I am only a happy person when Im happy with my body. My doctor upped my thyroid meds while I was preggo but then he lowered them a couple months ago. I did NOT get my new prescription because I hoped that having a little too much thyriod hormone might help me lose weight. I dont think I was right because I think I still look like **** 11 months after having my son. I just started lifting heavy weights (never done this before) I hope to God that i turn this fat to muscle and end up being happy again.
  • OhThatBlonde
    OhThatBlonde Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetic. I'm 49 and was diagnosed on Sept 7th (2012) after a few visits to the ER. I've got my 3 month follow-up with my Endocrinologist tomorrow. I'm sure we'll be making some insulin adjustments. I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out - wasn't in my plan but now I'll have to make the best of it.
    Feel free to add me - I can use all the help I can get!!
    :flowerforyou: