Does eating more really work?

Options
I am 24 year old female, 156lbs and 5'10". For the past 3 weeks I have been working out 6 days a week at high intensity (inc. lots of resistance training) for 40-60 mins each time. I was eating roughly 1200-1400 calories and not losing any weight, although I have toned up a bit. Reading these boards everyone has been talking about BMR and TDEE. I worked out that my BMR is approx 1500 and my TDEE is approx 2300. I then took away 20% from my TDEE which gives me 1900 calories.

Yesterday and today I have eaten about 1650 calories...it feels like so much!! Does eating more really work?? I am panicking as I have a dress to fit into this weekend and can't afford to gain any weight - in fact I could really do with losing a few lbs! Someone please put my mind at rest!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2300, that is the number that you would not lose or gain, also known as Maintenance calories. Eating 1650 certainly shouldn't cause you to gain.
  • watters87
    watters87 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. I cannot eat less than 1350 and lose weight. I actually start gaining (And that is with eating my workout cal back) So I upped it to 1500 and so far so good :)
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It seems to work for some but not others. You just have to get to know your body and try things.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    In a word? YES!

I was skeptical myself, but it does work. After stalling for a good long while I upped my calorie intake by app. 250 kcal per day. Been losing steadily ever since.
  • Lampy00512
    Lampy00512 Posts: 117
    Options
    It does for me! Before I started working out, I tracked my eating habits to see where I'm at. I consumed between 900-1,100 calories. I am now eating 1,400-1,700 and have since been able to tone up my flabby arms, my stomach pouch is slowly disappearing, and have lost 2 inches from my waist. At first, I thought that's too much calories, but nope, my body has been responding quite well.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It does work. However, sometimes it takes a while for your body to adjust to the new calorie level. It took 2 weeks for me but I wasn't running at a severe deficit for years as some people have. You're still running at a deficit now so weight gain should be minimal or non-existent. Give it time. I know you have an immediate goal with your dress fitting but you're doing what's best for you body and overall health. Keep it up! If you'd like to read a bit more about what to expect and hear from ladies who have been there search, in Groups, for Eat More to Weigh Less. Amazing ladies there. Good luck to you!
  • irenedemos
    irenedemos Posts: 36
    Options
    I am having a hard time eating more calories too, but I have been told by several people to increase my calories. I am a bit worried, but will increase my calories, but like you said, it seems like so much more food!!!

Good luck to you all :)
  • LexyLou_5
    LexyLou_5 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Going to give 'eating more' a go because eating what I'm eating now sure isn't working. I have changed my setting to lose 1/2 pound a week instead on a pound a week...

Fingers crossed
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    YES, it works!! I usually eat 2000+ cals, and I lose steadily. Plus I get to EAT!! AND I feel great!! Don't let fear stop you from being healthy. Trust your metabolism, and enjoy your food sweetie. :flowerforyou:
  • Kirdaz
    Kirdaz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    if your total daily energy expenditure is 2300 and you're eating 1650 a day then you are set to lose approx just over a pound a week with out exercise. Doing intensive exercise on top of this will bring this amount down further,as calories are being burnt fueling the exercise and possibly bringing your calorie down lower than your basal metabolic rate, which can slow your metabolism right down as a matter of survival. The net calories should never go below 1100/ 1200 cals or this will put your body into starvation and reserve mode
  • watters87
    Options
    It just all sounds too good to be true! Thank you all for your advice, I'm going to continue eating approx 1600-1800 and keep my fingers and toes crossed!

I'd still be interested to hear from anyone who has found that eating more has worked for them. Especially women with similar stats to me - age 24, 5'10" and currently 156lbs - aiming for a fit and toned 140lbs.
  • brielilli
    brielilli Posts: 17
    Options
    Sure you can eat more but it can all depends on the type of foods. More fruits and veggies is the best way. You can eat more with less calories and feel full and have the vitamins and nutrients to help with proper body functioning. There are days that I feel I am eating all day long. But I have made it a point to pack a number of small meals and plenty of ruffage for the day. The calories are not a lot but I do not get hungery and I can still enjoy some of my favorite food in moderation. (dark Chocolate yum) I started doing this with cardio and strength training and I have Lost 13 lbs since this February. Slow and steady keeps the weight off. Best of luck.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Worked for me.

I'm 36, 5'4". My net calorie goal is 1,650 per day. I strength train and ride my bike 3-4 days a week.
  • naomisimpson247
    Options
    Worked for me.

I'm 36, 5'4". My net calorie goal is 1,650 per day. I strength train and ride my bike 3-4 days a week.

Do you eat those exercise calories back or are you fixed on 1,650 per day?
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    Good question...i was wondering that myself. So many good thoughts ya'll! Thanks!
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    YES, it works!! I usually eat 2000+ cals, and I lose steadily. Plus I get to EAT!! AND I feel great!! Don't let fear stop you from being healthy. Trust your metabolism, and enjoy your food sweetie. :flowerforyou:

Awesome reply!
    I'm taking this to heart too! thanks so much!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    When I got here I initially started eating 1,200, because of course I told it I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week (doesn't everyone?). I didn't know that because I don't have a lot to lose, that 2 pounds a week wasn't very realistic. Initially I lost 4 pounds in a couple of weeks and then it stopped. I was eating healthier, and I was trying to eat in the 1200 to 1300 range and the scale was not moving.

Now my calorie goal is 1633 and the scale is moving. My TDEE is about 2200.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Worked for me.

Do you eat those exercise calories back or are you fixed on 1,650 per day?

What has worked for me is trying, as best I can, to never net below BMR. I don't always get there...sometimes I'm not hungry enough to eat the extra calories. Some days I'm starving. Try to look at it weekly. If you've averaged netting around your BMR you're doing great.

Edit - Keep in mind you'll eat your same calories even on rest days. Try to give your body a re-feed day. If you eat 1800 and net 1400, eat your 1800 even on days when you don't exercise. That's what helps me get the closest to BMR for the week.
  • watters87
    Options
    Just to throw a spanner in the works now..... When I said that I have been eating approx 1600 calories a day, I meant gross calories, my net calories are lower, more like 1100-1400 depending.

When people say they are eating more, do they mean gross or net? And in terms of people saying do not eat less than your BMR...is that gross or net?

I understand the principals of gross and net, just trying to find out what combination works best?!