How accurate is the calorie burn?

Options
2»

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    well, I would say 1050 is a rather high estimate for an hour of almost anything. however, only you can tell if it's too high. Are you losing as predicted?
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I think MFP and most machines are a bit high. Then again I'm at my goal weight and very active so I tend to have to work harder to burn more calories.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I constantly read that the calories on here are way too high, but I recently purchased a HRM and I haven't found them to be drastically off. For running, I have compared my GPS watch with the HRM with the MFP numbers, and they are typically all within 5% of each other. Not worth worrying about, and who knows which one is correct. For bike riding I have only one sample so far and MFP was about 6% lower than the HRM.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I ordered an FT4 so I can be sure, though to be honest, I am scared to find out just how high my heart rate goes when cycling, lest I end up fearing exercising. I know my heart rate gets pretty high as I have impaired lungs so have to work that much harder up hills etc.

I tend to put cycling 12-14 mph in for my cycling because although I only tend to get to 10mph mostly, I have a lot of hills to get up and down rather than level roads. It estimates I burn about 440 per hour.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If you go on the Tools tab...there's a neat little device that I'm thinking about ordering for myself. Check it out.
  • maijageorge
    Options
    well, I would say 1050 is a rather high estimate for an hour of almost anything. however, only you can tell if it's too high. Are you losing as predicted?

Not at all! I have been stuck for months now.. I am given 1760 calories a day, I work out 5-6 times a week and almost always stay under my calorie goal. I started hitting the gym a bit harder to try and break this cycle, and nothing is happening...
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Not at all! I have been stuck for months now.. I am given 1760 calories a day, I work out 5-6 times a week and almost always stay under my calorie goal. I started hitting the gym a bit harder to try and break this cycle, and nothing is happening...

so do you eat your exercise calories back or no? What is your GROSS intake? Your NET intake?
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I wore a bodymedia for a while once and for 300 calories burned according to here and the machine, my band said only around 100. I always put half the time I did into MFP when logging any exercise since it's quite high.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I have a BFM Link and MFP way overestimated for me. I was eating way too much based on MFP estimates. Since I've gotten this I've dropped 2 pounds. I'm aware of my TDE and base my calories consumed off of that. On non exercise days I adjust it.
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Mfp over estimates everything except running it seriously under estimates how much I burn. Hrm are not accurate in weight lifting calories just an FYI =]

If HRM does not accurately measure calorie expenditure for weight lifting, how do you determine that, or can you? I've noticed that when I keep my HRM on for strength training the calorie count for an hour is much lower than 1/2 hour of cardio.
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Once I got my HRM I found that it was off by 150-200 cals or so. Not sure if this helps a whole lot... if you are thinking of investing in a HRM, DO IT!!!

I thought LONG and hard about it before I did, but I LOVE mine. Got it on Amazon for $60... totally worth it!

Which one did you get for $60?? All the Polar ones I was looking at were like $110.

Hey there dear... Polar ft4 on amazon. Shipping was free also :)

not sure if this link will work, but I will give it a try:
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335924022&sr=8-1
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Once I got my HRM I found that it was off by 150-200 cals or so. Not sure if this helps a whole lot... if you are thinking of investing in a HRM, DO IT!!!

I thought LONG and hard about it before I did, but I LOVE mine. Got it on Amazon for $60... totally worth it!

Which one did you get for $60?? All the Polar ones I was looking at were like $110.

Hey there dear... Polar ft4 on amazon. Shipping was free also :)

not sure if this link will work, but I will give it a try:
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335924022&sr=8-1

Sorry, forgot to add, the bronze colored one is $64... I don't really care about color, so it seemed like a good deal to me. happy hunting :)