scary side of protein powder

Options
according to my doctor it is really unhealthy for you...because it's already granulated so your body absorbs more of it and faster...causing your body to build "flimsy" muscle...any thoughts on this?

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Flimsy muscle? LOL I grow plenty of muscle cells, and of all the lines I've worked with none have been labeled 'flimsy'. :bigsmile:
  • It's time to find a new doctor!!

___
    count down 4 mores days b4 weight in, need to lose 2.5 lbs
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Haha!

Naw, the scary side of protein powder is when you buy the really crappy kind that is loaded with tons of artificial garbage. When I want protein powder, I want protein.

And no matter how scary, NOTHING beats protein powder's beautiful side: the ability to make anything into a high-protein treat! Chocolate oatmeal, vanilla milkshakes, protein brownies...YUM!
  • dorkzcomic
    Options
    As long as the "flimsy" muscles are still impressive looking I'm gonna keep drinking protein shakes
  • pinkissheek
    Options
    so what kind do you use?
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    It's time to find a new doctor!!

___
    count down 4 mores days b4 weight in, need to lose 2.5 lbs

I agree 100%. Your doctor is a nut.
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    so what kind do you use?

designer whey protein.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Haha!

Naw, the scary side of protein powder is when you buy the really crappy kind that is loaded with tons of artificial garbage. When I want protein powder, I want protein.

And no matter how scary, NOTHING beats protein powder's beautiful side: the ability to make anything into a high-protein treat! Chocolate oatmeal, vanilla milkshakes, protein brownies...YUM!

I agree!! I love my protein powder! :bigsmile: No flimsy muscle here!

I like Designer Whey also and just tried the Biggest Loser Designer Whey (double chocolate) in my oatmeal this morning. Yum!
  • TankLily
    Options
    :noway: That's crazy talk!

I use Soy because Whey doesn't sit well on my Tummy. Bonnet is a favorite of mine.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    WTF is flimsy muscle? That's a new one on me.
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    WTF is flimsy muscle? That's a new one on me.

I was kind of wondering the same thing.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Despite the fact that I would estimate that 95+% of those taking protein powder do so unnecessarily, that is one of the more off the wall reasons I have heard for recommending against it.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Flimsy muscle? I had something in mind....but uhhh, not appropriate for this board. Thinking it has something to do with getting outta a cold swimming pool. :huh:
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Don't know about the silly flimsy muscle comment, but the part about absorbing it faster is probably true, however that does depend on the type of protein as well. Whey protein absorbs pretty fast, egg protein a little slower and casien protein slower still. Most people take Whey before/after working out and a casien type before bed. Again, it depends on your diet and how much and the types of protein you are already consuming.
  • pinkissheek
    Options
    i checked back with the doctor and he said that its called flimsy muscle because it can be lost quicker....idk...but I love the swimming pool comment! very classy
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    hemp is a complete protein, I've heard that hemp protein powder is good to use. Unless you work out like an elite athlete or are a picky-eating vegan, I doubt you need it though.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Is "flimsy muscle" a medical term that I'm not aware of? That ought to tell you right there that maybe your doctor isn't as knowledgeable as he should be :laugh:
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    i checked back with the doctor and he said that its called flimsy muscle because it can be lost quicker....idk...but I love the swimming pool comment! very classy

what can i say...."classy" is my middle name.
  • pinkissheek
    Options

what can i say...."classy" is my middle name.
    thats what I though! :laugh:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Whuh-oh, he's got a case of FLIMSY MUSCLE!

Yeah, whey protein does absorb faster...and drinking it adds to that...but right after a workout you NEED a mix of carbs and fast-absorbing protein. Then a good meal not too long after. Casein protein, on the other hand, absorbs very slowly. Eat some cottage cheese at night and you're basically taking a protein IV.

But unless you're a serious weight lifter, all the little nitty gritties of protein are kind of pointless. Just get lots of it (from great sources such as eggs, lean meat, dairy, and whey) and bam, problem solved.

And stay the hell away from rice protein powder. That stuff can make the mightiest collapse into fitful retching.