Lost weight everywhere BUT my THIGHS!

Options
I am pear - shaped. I lost a total of 11 lbs, and still have 10 more to go and i'll be at my goal weight. Every time that I have lost weight even in the past, I always lost everywhere especially my upper body.. and my THIGHS always stay the same!! I am trying to incorporate alot of cardio, for some reason when your pear shaped.. doing alot of workouts with a steep incline or weights, has toned up my thighs but actually made them bigger.. (I measured my thighs each time, would gain 1/2 an inch.) even though eating healthy, watching sodium.. sugar, starchy/white carbs.

Has this happened to any of you? I am new and need a support system here that I can also share in common with. What has helped you tremendously in that area?

Replies

• EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I AM THE SAME WAY! I have always lost weight in my upper body and my thighs seem to go last lol. I've been told by alot of people/friends "you're so thin!" yeah.. UP TOP! But I still have wide hips, a 24" waist with 20.5" inch thighs! There is nothing wrong with being pear shaped hun, I think it's a beautiful figure. I do know how you feel though with wanting your thighs to slim down as well. You cannot spot reduce, losing body fat overall in general is the way to go as i've been told. My thighs used to be 23.5 inches, and while losing weight I did alot of cardio.. like HIIT treadmill, elliptical, also did weight lifting workouts.. as well as squats, lunges..!
  • AmandasJourney2012
    Options
    <~~~ pear shape here!! BUMP because i'd love to hear feed back on what has worked for others as well!

me - i have to watch my carb intake and i do alot of cardio.. for at least 45 mins! everyone is different tho!
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My thighs have always been larger than I wanted....no matter what weight I get. I am pear-shaped too. :/
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    same here..curse of the pear shape!!!! i hate it :( booo
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Same here :-(
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Different people lose fat from different areas last. If it wasn't your thighs, it would be something else.
  • Lampy00512
    Lampy00512 Posts: 117
    Options
    My inner thighs are the only place not shrinking! :explode: I lost an inch off my lower thigh though. As of last week, I've started using the Arc Trainer at the gym, need to incorporate using stair case machine, and do lunges/squats. Hoping to see some difference this month or I'll be upset :cry:
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Same here! I am having a hard time losing there too but I am a long way from my goal weight yet though!
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Genetics.

Your body will store it's fat where it wants to store it.

Continue to reduce your overall body fat %, you can't "tone" or "spot reduce", doesn't happen. If you do muscle building in an area you want to reduce fat in without eating at a calorie deficit or doing things like cardio...yes, your thighs will get bigger.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Me too. And what's even more fun... I do a lot of squats/lunges so I've built giant muscles too. Yeah. Really enjoyable.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My thighs were last for me last time too, and the first place i gained the weight back this time around :/ Even when I used to dance, my thighs were never as slim as they were when i was spinning 2-3 times a week. Once my knee injury is healed I am definitely getting back into it
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Some things I've read say it's genetic, others say it's hormonal, in any case it's my situation too. I have fought long and hard to get the legs I want. I have to work my legs far more than most other people in order to get the longer/slimmer look I want from them. But I've found it can be done. This is what works for me:

April stats: 155.2 miles walking/jogging/hiking plus 64 miles elliptical plus 202 miles on Fitdesk.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I am pear - shaped. I lost a total of 11 lbs, and still have 10 more to go and i'll be at my goal weight. Every time that I have lost weight even in the past, I always lost everywhere especially my upper body.. and my THIGHS always stay the same!! I am trying to incorporate alot of cardio, for some reason when your pear shaped.. doing alot of workouts with a steep incline or weights, has toned up my thighs but actually made them bigger.. (I measured my thighs each time, would gain 1/2 an inch.) even though eating healthy, watching sodium.. sugar, starchy/white carbs.

Has this happened to any of you? I am new and need a support system here that I can also share in common with. What has helped you tremendously in that area?

If you build muscle in your thighs, but do not lose fat in your thighs, your thighs are going to get bigger. You might consider cardio workouts that don't build as much muscle in your legs, such as swimming, or even just elliptical or bike with less resistance.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Other than having to work extra hard to get my thighs and calves where I like them, I'm not going to complain about being pear shape. It's associated with much better health outlook than apple shape!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Different people lose fat from different areas last. If it wasn't your thighs, it would be something else.

True. I'm apple shaped and the final 10 pounds I lost came almost entirely off my belly, which went from soft and squishy to... well, if not flat then at least firm. That's how I knew it WAS the final 10 pounds. Maybe it's the same with pear shaped women, only it's the thighs that don't get with the program until the very end.
  • Love2HikeMT
    Love2HikeMT Posts: 42
    Options
    My mother is German and I always kidded her that I inherited her "thunder thighs"...LOL. But, it's true. There is a lot to say about genetics.
  • Ames1026
    Ames1026 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Im pear shaped, got it from my Dads side of the family. My cousin use to tease me about it until she got it too!! LOL

Funny how the things we would like to keep, (boobs) are the first to go. I just keep working and hoping that one day my thighs will slim down.

Keep it up you are doing great!!
  • divilibitz
    divilibitz Posts: 2
    Options
    I had the same problem as I don't drive and walk almost everywhere. They got bigger when I took up aerobics. My instructor told me to try Pilates and Yoga combined for 30 minutes 3 - 4 times a week. These workouts really made a difference and I lost two inches off each thigh after 6 weeks. I also stopped looking so crunched up as the pilates and yoga combined stretched and elongated my thigh muscles..along with the rest of me. I gained half an inch in height, my posture and walking gait is much better and I look leaner and more toned. Give them a try and see how you go. :happy:
  • alabamawhirley
    alabamawhirley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm losing the most weight from my thighs. I don't know how I do it but if it helps I do water aerobics and running a lot, the first week or so I gained inches on my thighs but after 3 weeks I've lost about 3 inches. When I'm at the gym I use the treadmill and cross trainers. I also rollerskate once or twice a week.
  • DANCINGDEB2012
    Options
    I suggest you embrace your hips and be glad you have them. Better a round bottom than a round belly. I've learned over the years to love my body, and you can find a man that loves it too. Men seem to be blind to cellulite, yes I believe it's true. Just try to exercise and tone the areas. I'm fifty and proud of it.