HRM watches... Worth it ?

Options
I need one that counts calories burned

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about just a watch(no chest strap) then no, it's not worth it.

If you want one with both a watch and a chest strap, then depending on what you use it for, it can be worth it.

Personally, I love mine but thats me.. others feel that you can do without.
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I found it was worth it for me. I bought an HRM with a chest strap. Plus it's a huge motivator to see how hard I am working.
  • amberlee08
    amberlee08 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar. But yes you need the one with a chest strap.
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me a New Balance HRM for Christmas & I love it. It's pretty basic & easy to use. At first, I just wanted to keep track of my heart rate to see if I was getting it high enough during my cardio, but since I realized it also keeps track of calories burned, I love it even more. The chest strap isn't uncomfortable at all either. I often forget that I'm wearing it. It's an awesome tool & would definately advise getting one.
  • Beckiet82
    Beckiet82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've got a brand new New Balance one in the box with a chest strap if anyone is looking for one..Its just collecitng dust since I had one already!
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    I have a HRM watch. It was on sale and I needed a sport watch so I bought it. It seems pretty accurate to me. It's by New Balance.
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes totaly worth it. I love mine so much. The only way to really know how many calories are burned. Everyone on here recommended the Polar and so I got that one (the f4). It is really good.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Deffo...and DEFFO need the heart rate strap. I had a watch kind and it wasn't bad at "guestimating" but the HRM is much more reliable and gets you better accuracy=better results
  • Ragoub
    Ragoub Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mybodyforlife
    mybodyforlife Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love it for a year then got tired of put it on a wear it. So I no longer know where is my HRM :).
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I use the watch HRM with no chest strap I like it It seems pretty close to what the cardio machines at the gym read too I have Mio
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar with the chest strap--it is awesome! Shows me how hard I've worked, plus, uploads to the Polar site and I can watch my progress.
    Good luck!
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Not worth it without the strap as its basically guess work.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Polar FT4 w/ the chest strap is awesome! Got an amazing deal on Amazon too.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    only if it has a chest strap with it =)
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    you need a watch that works with a chest strap. If its only a watch then its an estimate at best, IMO totally useless.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar F7 around Christmas & I've used it for every work out I did since then! It's really worth the money.
    You can enter information like age, sex, height, etc. & it even tells you in which zone you are training & beeps if you switch zones (fitness or fat burning).
  • ciarabubs
    ciarabubs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have just bought the Polar FT4 and I must admit I really like it. Have been going to curves and according to them I burnt 418 calories this morning but HRM says 280! I am going with HRM!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I have just bought the Polar FT4 and I must admit I really like it. Have been going to curves and according to them I burnt 418 calories this morning but HRM says 280! I am going with HRM!

HRM are not accurate for strength training.