Odd question.

Options
wriglucy
wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
So when I was in my undergrad, my roommate was doing weight watchers. She told me, that when people lose weight, they lose if from the top down. Like...they lose around their waist, then hips, then thighs and legs. Is this true? Because honestly, I lost an inch around my waist, but nothing on my legs yet...which is where I need it...stupid thunder thighs:)
Thanks!

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    So when I was in my undergrad, my roommate was doing weight watchers. She told me, that when people lose weight, they lose if from the top down. Like...they lose around their waist, then hips, then thighs and legs. Is this true? Because honestly, I lost an inch around my waist, but nothing on my legs yet...which is where I need it...stupid thunder thighs:)
    Thanks!
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    I've heard that too! I've also heard that the place where you put on weigh most recent will come off first. So, for example with me, I have always had huge thighs and butt, but I've only recently begun to get fat around my belly, then when I started working out, the fat around my belly is coming off first, and my legs don't see much difference. I don't know where you started gaining weight most recent, but if it's around your waist, that could be why you're losing it around there more. Just give it time, it could be that the fat on your thighs has been there longer than around your waist and it's not wanting to leave for a while, it's very comfortable where it is, so make it uncomfortable by keeping up with your diet and exercise! (I hope this made sense at all) :flowerforyou:
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    different people lose weight from different places. My hips and butt usually loose first..then tummy...then legs, then chest...then arms. I suppose everyone doet it differently!
  • karilynn
    karilynn Posts: 87
    Options
    this is kinda funny to me because the other day my husband said "it looks like you are losing weight from top down!" lol
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard it as top down as much as outside in (face, hands, feet) and into the middle of your body.

The trainer at the gym said the same thing about the first weight gained, will be last place it'll come off of. I'm having a bugger of a time with the hips and thighs too. Why can't it come from there instead of my chest?:grumble:
  • ehorner1976
    ehorner1976 Posts: 147
    Options
    I am kind of glad you brought this up. I have started losing some weigh and I can notice in my face. My husband even mentioned it. So my guess would say it is true.
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I always thought we were all individual in where we lose weight/gain weight?

Maybe it is different if you have a lot to lose? I've never tried to lose more than 20-25lbs, but for me, it all kind of comes off the same.

My legs/thighs/butt stay skinny pretty much no matter what I weigh: my mom,and grandmoms are the same way.

So for me, weight gain gets noticible in my belly/lovehandles/boobs/upper arms and face. And when I lose, I feel like it comes off pretty evenly from all those areas.

The very LAST thing to go is/will be my pooch below my belly button. Even when I weighed 127 (I'm 5'6) It was still there. 2 pregnancies, one of which I had polyhydramnios is to blame, I think. When the skin stretches that much, unless you have genetically elastic skin, I don't think it ever goes fully away.