Am I losing my mind?!!!..

Options
Hi All,

I've recently tried to increase my water intake to 8 cups, but am finding this really difficult!..I have tried little and often but find whenever I drink lots of water i start feeling very sick and very full up..

Am I alone in feeling this way?...And does anyone know why I feel like this?

Thans guys xx

Replies

• jodiex92
    jodiex92 Posts: 56
    Options
    I think it might be as you are not used to it. I drink so much water like 3litres a day but I never used to like it, the more I drank it initially the more I started to like it.
    Just keep drinking and you will start to adjust to it and won't feel as full off it :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I think it might be as you are not used to it. I drink so much water like 3litres a day but I never used to like it, the more I drank it initially the more I started to like it.
    Just keep drinking and you will start to adjust to it and won't feel as full off it :)

I second that - I drink about 3 liters as well.

To the OP - space it out on an hourly basis. Each hour for eight hours, have 1 measured cup of water. That is 8oz right there. If you do it on the hour every hour it wont seem so hard on you....
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    There's great advice posted for you. Also, remember that a cup of water is NOT a tall tumbler. It's a small 'juice glass'. At first it is easy to forget what 8oz of water looks like.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    There's great advice posted for you. Also, remember that a cup of water is NOT a tall tumbler. It's a small 'juice glass'. At first it is easy to forget what 8oz of water looks like.

We have women at work who literally bring in a 1-Cup measure for their desk. The hoop that is on it has 8 rubber bands. Every time they have 1 cup of water, they take off one rubber band. An easy way to keep track!
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i sweat so much during my HIIT on a treadmill I drink 1 gallon a day....just carry my ice water in a sweat proof large glass every where I go. Measured the amount of water it holds when full of ice.....I have one cup of coffee in the am, 1 glass of red wine in the pm, and nothing else but water
  • vahine03
    vahine03 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too. It takes getting used to. Eventually it'll be easy. I drink 4 cups with a meal and 2 after a workout. More, if it's a hot day.
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Get a straw and suck it down. I'm on the go all the time at work so when I sit at my desk for 35seconds, I have a water bottle with a straw in it, and I sit right next to the water cooler. I fill it, drink the whole thing, and walk away. I try to do this each time I sit down, which isn't frequent, and my water bottle is maybe 20oz.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you cant get 8 glasses dont stress it. You only need enough to maintain hydration. Some people require 64 oz, some less and some more. Not getting 8 glasses wont prevent weight loss.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    doesn't have to literally be water, can come from tea/coffee/diet soda too.

A good way is to sit with a big litre/two litre bottle next to you all day, and just sip sip sip all the time.

I dunno how much a cup is though, I'm not American o.o
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You get use to it..a t first i could barely down 8cups.... but now i can easily go over a gallon in a day.

I personally think the water bottle makes a difference. I CANNOT drink as much water out of a regular cup... nor can i drink a lot of ice cold water. (trial and error discovered these things)

so now i use a camelbak water bottle and it is a GODSEND..i have like 5 of them because i cant go without them. and they are 3cups per 24oz=3cups.. so makes it better
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If it helps, non-sodium, non-caffienated, non-caloric drinks (diet-rite, store brands, superwater, etc,) count as water intake.
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I tend to measure out the 8oz sometimes. It really isn't alot of water if you drink 1/2 then wait a bit and drink the other 1/2. You don't have to suck down all at once if you don't want to. It helps me also to have some bottles that I know are 16oz or so and I work on drinking those throughout the day. Good Luck. It does get easier. I used to hate water to.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I really believe that different people need different amounts. I forced myself to drink over 8 cups a day and was miserable. I stayed with it for many months and my body never did adjust and I peed out so much of it constantly that it was even impacting my sleep greatly. The doctor said that the belief that everyone needs that much is actually a myth, as some people don't. I rarely sweat that much even when I am working out very hard, which is about 4-6 times a week for an hour. I have found that I can usually tolerate 4-6 cups a day without it impacting my sleep or ability to work without living in the restroom.
  • gracey2521
    gracey2521 Posts: 72
    Options
    8 glasses a day is just a guideline, some people need more, some people need less. It's kind of like how everybody needs to consume a different amount of calories to stay healthy.

Here's an interesting and informative article on the topic:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Hope that helps! =]
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    yes, you could be loosing your mind.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I've recently tried to increase my water intake to 8 cups, but am finding this really difficult!..I have tried little and often but find whenever I drink lots of water i start feeling very sick and very full up..

Am I alone in feeling this way?...And does anyone know why I feel like this?

Thans guys xx

I can't make the 8 either, never have I don't think. I just don't agree with adding all those crappy flavoured chemicals to it, when there are so many in there from the tap anyways.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I keep a bottle of water near me alot. One of those squirting bottle. I can't help but take a sip all day long. At around 11-12 oz. glasses for me now
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    doesn't have to literally be water, can come from tea/coffee/diet soda too.

A good way is to sit with a big litre/two litre bottle next to you all day, and just sip sip sip all the time.

I dunno how much a cup is though, I'm not American o.o

that's not entirely true. Soda is a diuretic, which means it will actually dehydrate you. Coffee also isn't a good replacement for water, especially if you're putting cream and sugar in it. Your best bet is plain water, but you can also add things to water to help, like fruit slices or the crystal light packets. Plain tea (no added sugar or milk) will also replace water. There is also carbonated flavored waters that you can drink, but look at the ingredients to make sure it is just carbonated water and not soda.

Your best bet is to stick with plain water. Just slowly increase your intake so you get used to it, eventually you will actually crave water over other beverages because your body recognizes it as being better for you. I also find it helpful to use a 32oz reuseable water bottle. I know that I need to drink two of them a day so it gives me a goal I can visually see.
  • emkelly27
    emkelly27 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    when I am at work I try my best to drink water thinking i will be destracted and it's healthy for you. turns out i drink at least two or more of my water bottle when i'm at work. school its diffrent because i want to stay away so i drink diet coke. that ok every now and then but i usually limit my self to 4 diet coke a day as long as i try to drink water when i am home. i am encouraging myself to drink more water instead of diet coke but every time i still seem to have my self going for that diet coke can instead of water. maybe theres advice for me as well for i seem this advice doesn't help...lol i try
  • MommyToFour24
    Options
    I usually drink 12-16 glasses a day. It takes about a week to get used to it each time I quit for whatever reason.