Replies

• Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, but when I eat them at a diner they make it ****ty
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    This JUST happened to my boyfriend. For a few months, we thought he had become lactose intolerant (which seemed plausible based on age/background). He would get HORRIBLY ill, crying and even screaming from abdominal pain for 6 hours (and this is a huge guy with a high pain tolerance), with nothing helping. We nearly called 911 a number of times thinking it must be his appendix or something seriously wrong, but would put it off for a bit because we couldn't afford it, and it would go away after a few hours. Then last week, I gave him a breakfast burrito with just the tiniest amount of sour cream on it, which he took with two Lactaid pills and had the worst attack yet. We were baffled as to why the pills had stopped working, but decided to cut out all dairy.

Two days later, I gave him a totally lactose-free breakfast of eggs and toast, and there was another attack. It finally dawned on us that while every attack had occurred after having something containing dairy (though we often had to think back several hours to find it), it was always right after having eggs. We tested it last week with a frozen pizza, and sure enough, he's just fine with the dairy. For whatever reason, eggs are causing this extreme reaction.

I have no idea what might cause it, but I imagine it's possible that the same thing happened to you. The best thing I can think of is just to avoid it and not even risk the reaction.

Ah thats horrible girl! Yeah I haven't had a reaction that severe yet but I only eat them in small amounts like..1 or 2 at a time..I do get abdominal cramping though sometimes and I feel bloated and miserable and just want to sleep!
  • giadatje
    giadatje Posts: 59
    Options
    Most people, if they are allergic to eggs, are allergic to the egg whites, not the yolk.

^This!!!!

I have no problem with the yolk, but egg whites... I started to puke them when I was 6 months old and still I have to puke them after 30 years :wink:
  • porcupinegirl32
    porcupinegirl32 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and have this problem. Try eating them for lunch and see if the same thing happens. If it doesn't then I'd say it's an allergy or you are lactose intolerant but if it doesn't you may have a mild version of IBS or Crohns.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Are you using any butter or milk when you fry your egg?
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    omelette and fried eggs make me feel really sick all day long, it's weird!!!!! i can eat boiled egg or anything else with egg in it fine :s i have a lactose intolerance and it's gotten worse lately so maybe my stomach is sensitive to that now too? it's really weird!!
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    Are you using any butter or milk when you fry your egg?

Nope I cook it plain... Dont even add salt and pepper. Sometimes I put honey butter spread on my bread with it but thats it..and I still get sick when I don't put the spread on
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    I don't think its dairy because I eat a lot of cheese and I drink milk and yogurt often and never get sick at all.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with similar symptoms. Organic eggs don't help in my case because it's a protein in the egg that makes me sick. I do ok if the egg is baked into something like bread, but if I eat half a boiled egg... look out :(

Unfortunately for me I also have dairy and gluten intolerances - and it's the proteins in those foods that affect me, too.

I still find plennnnty to eat though, lol!
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    Its just so weird because I don't have an intolerance to any foods..except that. I used to be mildly allergic to bananas but that went away and I eat them all the time now
  • Jweb8969
    Jweb8969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    this same thing has been happening to me for about a year now - i can eat them *sometimes* and get away with it, but most of the time, big tummy troubles!! i never had an allergy growing up - very strange, isn't it?
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    What about the egg substitute products?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Its just so weird because I don't have an intolerance to any foods..except that. I used to be mildly allergic to bananas but that went away and I eat them all the time now

That is odd.

I would definitely get an allergy test done for eggs just to be sure. A lot of foods in restaurants are made with eggs or egg products, so if you are allergic, it's best to know and modify your diet to avoid them in the future.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Intolorances and sensitivities to certain foods can come and go. It's not unusual at all. But you may have a totally different problem anyway. I know someone who got sick every time she prepared eggs in her favorite non-stick pan. She started using a ceramic coated pan instead and stopped having problems.
  • deeva2266
    deeva2266 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    As odd as this sounds I used to get an upset stomach eating eggs then my doctor suggested just a sprinkle of table salt and voila no more issues with eggs. Not sure why this works for me but I can enjoy eggs again.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Intolorances and sensitivities to certain foods can come and go. It's not unusual at all. But you may have a totally different problem anyway. I know someone who got sick every time she prepared eggs in her favorite non-stick pan. She started using a ceramic coated pan instead and stopped having problems.

Chipped or damaged nonstick pans can be really bad for you and make you sick. This is why we switched over to stainless and ceramic.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    The live cultures in yogurt are actually beneficial to people with lactose intolerance ^^.

And I just had a thought. You should get tested for an egg allergy anyway, not just because they make your tummy feel bad. People with egg allergies have to avoid flu shots (not sure about other vaccines) because the labs use chicken eggs to make the vaccine. Though I doubt you'd have an adverse reaction to a flu shot if eating eggs just messes with your tummy a bit. Good to know though!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed over 10 years ago and ever since then, I get horrible stomach cramps when I eat eggs. They are fine if they are in baked goods, but scrampled, fried, hardboiled, deviled and the like are a no go.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    hmm i'm wheat intolerant, lactose intolerant, i have ibs and until recently i was intolerant to caffeine..... and it now hates eggs, i literally can't bare to even make boiled eggs after the fried egg i had last week. Sounds stupid but i really can't be bothered to go through having tests again... I have a high imflammatory rate in my abdomen so they thought it wasn't ibs but it definitely is, i just get it horribly :/ doctors are sometimes wrong or just think your a hypercondriact in the uk, i've never been listened too and will probably never know why i have so many intolerances!
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    I can eat eggs cooked in things though. AND I was in the army so I got FLU shots yearly. They always gave me the flu but I just figured thats how it worked..haha... I'm going to try the table salt! And I do have a nonstick pan so maybe I will try cooking it in my stainless steel one :)