suggestions to stay motivated.

Options
I work at a very stressful job-12 hr shifts- 3-4 days a week. I lost 4.8 pounds the first week and was ecstatic. The next week I gained .5 pounds. Then fell off the wagon completely. I started again today. I am a chocoholic. One bite and I'm sunk. Then I'm like Oh well, I might as well eat it all. When I watch what I eat and exercise I feel so much better, Any suggestions on how to stay motivated?:ohwell:

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Keep your goals in mind. Make them a constant thought whenever you go to give into the cravings. Is a serving of this or that really worth throwing all the hard work away? Remember if you do eat chocolate (which some studies show to be good for you), do it in moderation. Nothing wrong with having a bit here and there. Remember also that it takes time to lose weight, it didn't magically appear over night so it won't go away over night. If you haven't started yet, take your measurements! They will help you stay on track when the scale doesn't move or if it moves up.
  • Lindseyfay21
    Options
    I have easily fallen into the trap of "well I ate this crappy thing the day is shot may as well keep binging" or even "screwed up yesterday might as well just give it up". I think its important to take each day - or even minute at a time- and DONT give up. Allow yourself to mess up- and move on!
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Lindsey remember this...saying "oh i've ruined my good eating today, screw it" is like saying "oh I just dropped my phone, let me smash it until it breaks".

I use a ton of motivational quotes to keep me going, i read forums, look at pictures and keep myself around positive energy.
  • jskeensrn
    jskeensrn Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks so much for your input. This site really helps when I need encouragement:flowerforyou:
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Try eating 3 things that are good for you first then the chocolate. the other thing is don't beat yourself up for eating something you love but try and stick to healthy things for the rest of the day. if you fall off the wagon get backon with your next turn. None of us are prefect when it comes to this but we can all be better. Also if I eat something bad I make my self drink a glass of water with it. :)
    9223477 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do not beat yourself up. You only have to look at the total to date - overall you are still down. Remember that to work at this on a one day at a time.

Get yourself a buddy at work that will work with you.

Keep going
  • Lindseyfay21
    Options
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    PINTEREST!!!!!!!!! That is all!
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Okay this is lame but it works for me...I post pictures of hot bodies all over my kitchen near anything bad..HAHA
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple. Just make yourself go to the gym. I don't know why people act like it's so hard. I have lived about 25 miles away from the gym I belong to since November, and I'm still ALWAYS there! Even if I don't feel like working out, I know that if I just go and get it in either a - I'll feel better or b - oh well if i don't feel better I still got my work out in. I made my lifestyle change on january 1 2011 -- and I have stuck with it not because of the weight loss, but because I feel so much better!!
  • linni100
    linni100 Posts: 2
    Options
    you can try only eating half of what is on your plate. try using a smaller plate that way you only have so much room for food. i do the gym 5 days a week. trying to get ready for my sons wedding this saturday.
  • LynnSkaggs76
    Options
    post it notes, write it down, schedule it in, even if you begin with just 10 minutes a day, any exercise is better then none,, i think