why doesnt tea count towards water

Options
Is there any reason why when I drink unsweetened green tea that it shouldnt count towards my water goals for the day???

Replies

• GumbyAnne
    GumbyAnne Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would count it. I am no expert, though.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Usually tea has caffeine in it. Even green tea has some
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Why don't you just drink water for your daily water? Does your tea have caffeine? If it does it does things to your body that water doesn't.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    tea is also a diuretic - it's still got water content - it's your call if you count it - I don't
  • llywyn
    llywyn Posts: 315
    Options
    I havent been counting it, but with winter coming up i know I'll be replacing a good deal of my regular water with warmer liquids. I do not like caffeine and make sure to dring decaf green tea or herbal as much as possible (and I like the antioxidant factor too).
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    You actually need more water when its cold out. You dont realize that you are sweating when its cold since it evaporates so fast. Your body (remember the heat resistance of water) needs the water to regulate its temperature. It is a common mistake that people make in the cold, not drinking enough water.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I count it--I figure it contributes more water to the body than the diuretic effect causes water loss.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I count it--I figure it contributes more water to the body than the diuretic effect causes water loss.

Same here.
  • bethsears
    Options
    Tea does have a mild diuretic effect but it does count towards your daily intake of water, but not necessarily to the same degree that plain water would. Some foods also count towards your daily water intake (thin water heavy fruits). That is plain unsweatened tea! I would still drink some plain water though. The stronger the tea and the stronger the diuretic impact, the less water your body will absorb.
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    Why even mess around with it? Just drink water for your requirements. Anything over that from tea or whatever is bonus.

Why play the wondering game? It's like taking medication that expired. Is it still good, am I still getting enough of what I need? 64 ounces of water a day is not a lot. It is 4 ounces per hour for a typical person that is awake for 16 hours a day. Half a glass. I'm done ranting, sorry.
  • strongandfit
    Options
    Tea ( like coffee) is a diuretic. Its effect is the opposite to water.
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I count 1/2 of the tea I drink. So if I drink 16oz I list that as me drinking 8oz of water. I get a tea in the morning then fill it with ice and water for the rest of the day. That way I get something other then water in the morning then all day long I know how much water I am drinking.

In short: I count it as 1/2
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    tea can count as water. Medical advice about water intake is actually about fluid intake and you can get your fluids from water, tea, juice and even the foods you eat. The diuretic effect of tea is minimal. There's nothing that says all your fluids have to be from water. That being said, you still have to account for calories so if you are drinking juice or sweetened drinks, you do need to account for the calories.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I havent been counting it, but with winter coming up i know I'll be replacing a good deal of my regular water with warmer liquids. I do not like caffeine and make sure to dring decaf green tea or herbal as much as possible (and I like the antioxidant factor too).

I drink hot water with a wedge of lemon squeezed in it. That will keep you warm and has no caffeine. As well, there are some awesome herbal teas out there. Peppermint tea, ginger tea and Tazo's Wild Sweet Orange are my favourites.
  • llywyn
    llywyn Posts: 315
    Options
    As well, there are some awesome herbal teas out there. Peppermint tea, ginger tea and Tazo's Wild Sweet Orange are my favourites.

Totally agree! I love peppermint tea especially during the holidays! Celestial seasons lemon zinger is also a fav... and last year I got hooked on the decaf tea flowers for glass teapots... can't remeber the brand.

So it looks like if its unsweetened and decaf i'll be safe to count al least 1/2 as real water. Much appreciated advice from all!!
  • debtdummy
    Options
    i drink robinson juice , never ever drink just water, i cant makes me thursty lol
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    tea can count as water. Medical advice about water intake is actually about fluid intake and you can get your fluids from water, tea, juice and even the foods you eat. The diuretic effect of tea is minimal. There's nothing that says all your fluids have to be from water. That being said, you still have to account for calories so if you are drinking juice or sweetened drinks, you do need to account for the calories.

A huge second to this, and most would be surprised at the water content of many fresh foods.

With winter coming up, if you want a good cup of tea or joe, drink it and stop stressing about "ahhhhhhh! but I need 64 ounces of water or else!" It's possible to strike a balance and remain well hydrated.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Most days I probably drink in excess of 176 oz's of tea. Plus I get some water in there too. I'm pretty sure I'm hydrating myself enough.

And I drink it because I like it, and it doesn't contain calories.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Why even mess around with it? Just drink water for your requirements. Anything over that from tea or whatever is bonus.

Why play the wondering game? It's like taking medication that expired. Is it still good, am I still getting enough of what I need? 64 ounces of water a day is not a lot. It is 4 ounces per hour for a typical person that is awake for 16 hours a day. Half a glass. I'm done ranting, sorry.

You're very passionate about your water! I don't count anything but plain old water from my Brita as water. Other things do count toward your daily fluid intake, but water is still water.
  • Demetria
    Options

Same here.

ditto, for me, i use decaf

demetria