Balancing Social Drinking and Weight Loss

Options
Hello all! I am in the process of losing roughly 60 lbs that I put back on after a very big weight loss (116 lbs). I am having a hard time when it comes to drinking and weight loss. I am 29 years old, no kids, newly engaged and have a very social group of friends. Every Friday and Saturday there is either a happy hour, party, wedding, birthday outing, batchelorette party, tailgating for a sporting event, etc, etc etc. With the nice weather approaching it is only going to get worse. I don't have much self control when it comes to these things. I try to schedule outings or activities that don't involve drinking. For example, last weekend we were going to go white water rafting for the day and camp the night before. Well, camping turned into drinking by the fire. When I started losing weight again, I decided to cut it down to every other weekend but my friends/fiance are not very supportive and I always end up going out. Most of the time, I will just have a glass of wine or two and I don't see anything wrong with that but the last two weeks it has added up to a lot more. And, of course, I will reach for the unhealthy food after having a few.

Anyway, my question is how many calories a week do you think it is appropriate to allocate for alcohol? How do you balance the two? I have friends who binge drink every weekend and are able to somehow stay in shape!! It's so frustrating. Any comments are much appreciated!!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're young and you want to have fun. I totally get that.

Be smart with those calories (and otherwise, of course, but that's a different topic).

If you have wine, also have water.
    If you have liquor, mix with only DIET beverages or club soda.
    And watch the food!

And, if it were me, exercise more on those days, and the day after.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    I am having the exact same issue, and I need advice also ! (married, no kids, and very social)
    HELP!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • nszocinski
    nszocinski Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My husband and I do Mexican every weekend. I do fine with what I order to eat (mostly grilled chicken) but I have to have a jumbo margarita. I just have to make sure I workout and then I try to be very good on Sunday. I worry about the alcohol calories/sugar but darn it, I'm not giving that up!
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight again, I decided to cut it down to every other weekend but my friends/fiance are not very supportive and I always end up going out.

I see that right there as a problem. Try to talk to your friends and fiance more to get them to support you. I'm young as well and enjoy drinking, but drinking excessively also isn't healthy or good for you. Think of it in terms of your overall health, and not just weight loss, and you'll have more self control over time to say no to that third drink, and just learn to have fun without as much alcohol (or none at all). If people keep pressuring you to drink more, perhaps you should re-evaluate your friendships and what they mean to you, as they are trying to derail both your progress and your decision-making skills. They're essentially saying their choices are better than yours, which is no fun at all.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    When I'm going out I try to hit the gym and burn a lot so I have a hefty deficit to work with. If I'm not going for food and drinks then I try and have a really great dinner with whole grains, lean protein, lots of vegetables yadayadayada.

If I'm going out for food and drinks? Well...I haven't really mastered that one. Sometimes I make it, sometimes...not so much. I usually end up trying to have a deficit the next few days to make up for it. I'm sure that is probably not the best method but as long as I keep counting I'm happy. The last time I counted calories I lost 60+ lbs but then stopped as the weather got nicer and I started going out more (and drinking more...). I figure as long as I continue counting I will be better off than when I don't. And hopefully I can work on my self-control little by little..
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am in the process of losing roughly 60 lbs that I put back on after a very big weight loss (116 lbs). I am having a hard time when it comes to drinking and weight loss. I am 29 years old, no kids, newly engaged and have a very social group of friends. Every Friday and Saturday there is either a happy hour, party, wedding, birthday outing, batchelorette party, tailgating for a sporting event, etc, etc etc. With the nice weather approaching it is only going to get worse. I don't have much self control when it comes to these things. I try to schedule outings or activities that don't involve drinking. For example, last weekend we were going to go white water rafting for the day and camp the night before. Well, camping turned into drinking by the fire. When I started losing weight again, I decided to cut it down to every other weekend but my friends/fiance are not very supportive and I always end up going out. Most of the time, I will just have a glass of wine or two and I don't see anything wrong with that but the last two weeks it has added up to a lot more. And, of course, I will reach for the unhealthy food after having a few.

Anyway, my question is how many calories a week do you think it is appropriate to allocate for alcohol? How do you balance the two? I have friends who binge drink every weekend and are able to somehow stay in shape!! It's so frustrating. Any comments are much appreciated!!
    IMO, Do a good hard burn at the gym on Fridays. I try to go for an extra 300-400 calorie burn if I'm going out that night. And yes, make sure you drink tons of water all day and all night. And log every single thing. Pre-plan. And if you don't know what it is, and you can't log it? Then don't eat or drink it.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Drinking more than a few drinks, if that, will not help you in your weight loss goals, it just won't, sorry, I probably have 1 or 2 drinks a month......I can't even remember the last time I had a drink to be honest........
  • calgarychick2012
    calgarychick2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have one cheat nite dont really worry about it. otherwise no booze the 6 other days
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I am a social and drinker...sadly, I am social with my BF every night I cook dinner! So I drink regularly. It might just be a glass or two of red wine a night...but its almost nightly. I just have learned to work it into my routine. I would rather cut out extra snacking for a glass of wine. Some tips I have learned though, make it manageable. I measured my pours...5oz is a true glass of wine....well damn I never actually poured 5 oz...its small!!!! But I stick to that and I sip and enjoy. (Thats why I switched from white to red, its easier to sip slowly and it lasts longer.) On the weekends when I go out I have 2 go to drinks. Vodka and club soda or Select 55. Luckily I was never a huge beer drinker so to me 55 tastes fine. Vodka and club is a classic with very few cals. If I know I have a special event (ie wedding with open bar etc) I do a HUGE workout prior and just wish for the best. I have learned that depriving yourself never works and the binges come back stronger than before!!!!
    GOOD LUCK!
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    I am having the exact same issue, and I need advice also ! (married, no kids, and very social)
    HELP!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

We go out at least 3 nights a week, and I agree with the OP that now that summer is coming, its going to get worse.
    For an example: I'll drink 5 vodka sodas and then we order pizza at 3:00am when we get home or to the after party!
    I feel doomed !
  • meg7399
    Options
    Drinking more than a few drinks, if that, will not help you in your weight loss goals, it just won't, sorry, I probably have 1 or 2 drinks a month......I can't even remember the last time I had a drink to be honest........
    NOT true...everything in moderation...34lb downs and still a regular drinker!
  • computerchick
    computerchick Posts: 2,647 Member
    Options
    So many people have the same problem. Is it possible for you to Google what you think you will be drinking and know the calorie count before you indulge? I know some frozen drinks that you get at restaurants can pack as much as 500 calories. Definitely start alternating alcohol, then water, then another alcoholc drink, then water. Sip slowly. Try to make one of your drinks last thru two of your friends' drinks. If you eat, try to eat sensibly. And definitely exercise more on the day before drinking, the day of drinking, and the day after. And drink LOTS of water on those days too.
  • meg7399
    Options
    I have one cheat nite dont really worry about it. otherwise no booze the 6 other days
    see this is where I see problems forming...a cheat night to me means drink whatever and thus bingeing occurs. One to two drinks every night and I never feel the need to cheat. I stay within my cals and I consistently lose weight!
  • meg7399
    Options
    So many people have the same problem. Is it possible for you to Google what you think you will be drinking and know the calorie count before you indulge? I know some frozen drinks that you get at restaurants can pack as much as 500 calories. Definitely start alternating alcohol, then water, then another alcoholc drink, then water. Sip slowly. Try to make one of your drinks last thru two of your friends' drinks. If you eat, try to eat sensibly. And definitely exercise more on the day before drinking, the day of drinking, and the day after. And drink LOTS of water on those days too.
    Good advice....stay away from those girly drinks though....YIKES are they high cals!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I really really struggle with this too. I've managed to cut back by having a double training session Saturday morning with my trainers and group of friends. This means that I don't do Friday night drinks and I have a good deficit for Saturday night. So that's a start. The problem I haven't quite mastered is getting back on the wagon on the Sunday. I tend to blow out the whole day Sunday too, when I should really get up, do some exercise and eat properly!
  • chattipatty2
    Options

IMO, Do a good hard burn at the gym on Fridays. I try to go for an extra 300-400 calorie burn if I'm going out that night. And yes, make sure you drink tons of water all day and all night. And log every single thing. Pre-plan. And if you don't know what it is, and you can't log it? Then don't eat or drink it.
    Do you have an app on your phone? You can log as you go along. That'll help you stay within your limits. You can drink and eat in moderation. I get the munchies too after drinking, but If I left the house to go out with say 800+ calories left to drink or eat, I feel more comfortable. Go with a clear booze (vodka, gin, rum) with a diet soda (I even bring my own diet raspberry gingerale and slip it to the bartender :laugh: ) Good luck! :drinker:
  • chattipatty2
    Options
    NOT true...everything in moderation...34lb downs and still a regular drinker!
    Ditto this. As long as you are in your deficit!!! But this may not work for everyone. You have to use MFP like the bible for trueness to yourself. But a good hard work out and KNOW how many cals you have to eat/drink!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ChattyPatty makes a good point! Get a phone app and look things up as you know. Your friends don't have to know what you're doing. But, I find, if I log my calories as I go, I consume way fewer.
  • amanda776
    amanda776 Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks everyone! What great replies! Glad to know I'm not the only one that has this problem. I always do double spin class Saturday mornings if I know I'll be drinking that night so I already have that covered. Sometimes I think I am being too hard on myself, this will never be sustainable if I feel like I am depriving myself!! And yes, I always log every alcohol calorie, that definitely keeps me in check. :)
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Cold hard truth for me was this: To really start seeing results from my efforts I had to stop drinking. Pretty much completely at first and now I will only have a few drinks every couple of weeks or so. Not only will your body not effectively burn fat if you're drinking all the time, you will as you've learned, make poor food choices. If you slow down your fat burning and make poor choices often, you will not see results.
    Once I've reached my goals, and I'm in maintenance, I'll probably go back to enjoying my wine a couple times a week.
    In the meantime, my social life has drastically declined. But honestly, I'm okay with that. I have more time and energy to work out, and I don't need to drink to have a good time and if my "friends" don't want me around because I don't have an alcoholic beverage in my hand, they're not really friends are they. FRIENDS are people who support your goals and don't give you **** for trying to make yourself healthier.
    Bonus: reducing the frequency of your drinking lowers your tolerance, so when you do drink you catch a nice buzz quite easily lol :drinker: