• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking right now....

I work out for wine.
  • Maystar80
    Maystar80 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Totally in the same boat! I'm a college sorority girl afterall. And even though I don't party hard every weekend, (and I try not to because I know it's likely I'll drink or eat more than intended) I still like to relax w/a teensy buzz.

What I'm doing is I only drink 1 or 2 nights a week and when I do I have 1-4 drinks a night. I only drink mixed drinks made w/clear liquor and diet tonic (or diet soda or even water as a last resort). I will never add any other calories to the liquor. And the clear liquor is only about 70cals per ounce so it's not that bad if you don't go overboard. If I want wine I try to limit it to 3 glasses. So this limits my alcohol intake to about 300, maybe 400, cals per night.

This should be a good strategy, but the thing about alcohol is that the calories may have greater impacts than on weight than that same amount of cals from healthier foods.

Also, as you mentioned, it's likely you'll grab for all the munchies your conscience never seems to let you eat. I've learned that in the end it's way better to eat a healthy full meal a little while before drinking than to starve yourself to save room for alcohol calories. It just ends up backfiring and you end up eating way more pizza, cupcakes, cookies, chips, etc. than you'd ever imagine you could.

That's my two cents. Good luck! I know how hard it is.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    I am a pretty social woman, so I understand the issue!
    1)Drink water before and after.
    2)Have a great exercise day
    3)Good protein, light calories before you go out...feel full
    4)When you drink, try cocktails with flavored vodka,tonic/orclub soda&lime
    vodka&coke zero (I know it can be evil, but I don't swear off for an occasional drink)
    skinny margaritas
    light sam adams...or if you must, light cheap beer
  • amanda776
    amanda776 Posts: 50
    Options
    I have more time and energy to work out, and I don't need to drink to have a good time and if my "friends" don't want me around because I don't have an alcoholic beverage in my hand, they're not really friends are they. FRIENDS are people who support your goals and don't give you **** for trying to make yourself healthier.
    Bonus: reducing the frequency of your drinking lowers your tolerance, so when you do drink you catch a nice buzz quite easily lol :drinker:

Love your whole post but this part really hits home - I actually had a "friend" get nasty with me because I left a party early to go to the gym once. Oh and she's one of those people who can drink 5 nights a week and stay in shape.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

I work out for wine.

Me too... its a good motivator actually.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options

I work out for wine.

Awesome--I'm actually drinking now too. I work out for my liquid calories.
  • lmfbs
    lmfbs Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cold hard truth for me was this: To really start seeing results from my efforts I had to stop drinking. Pretty much completely at first and now I will only have a few drinks every couple of weeks or so. Not only will your body not effectively burn fat if you're drinking all the time, you will as you've learned, make poor food choices. If you slow down your fat burning and make poor choices often, you will not see results.
    Once I've reached my goals, and I'm in maintenance, I'll probably go back to enjoying my wine a couple times a week.
    In the meantime, my social life has drastically declined. But honestly, I'm okay with that. I have more time and energy to work out, and I don't need to drink to have a good time and if my "friends" don't want me around because I don't have an alcoholic beverage in my hand, they're not really friends are they. FRIENDS are people who support your goals and don't give you **** for trying to make yourself healthier.
    Bonus: reducing the frequency of your drinking lowers your tolerance, so when you do drink you catch a nice buzz quite easily lol :drinker:

^ EXACTLY.

The reality is that you have to choose what's more important, quicker weight loss or drinking. You CAN be social without drinking, and if you can't, you might need to look at whether you have another issue there.

I have given up alcohol to lose weight. I have minigoals, and when I reach them, I'll reward myself with a night out. I've simply found that I can't drink and continue to meet my other goals.

Something that was told to be by a dietitian when I was playing rep sports was every standard drink sets you back 6 hours of training time. I'm not sure if it's true or only applies to high level sports, but it sure helps me put down my drink when I know that's another 6 hours in the gym/pool.

Also, your friends sound like jerks. Get new ones who love you and support you.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I would nurse 1 drink all night and make sure you have the calories for it :) Have fun!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how sugary your drinks are. I try not to eat as much on a day I know I'll be drinking (I know that's probably bad) and I stick to vodka sodas or straight liquors. The only real issue is dehydration and the fact that you lose a whole workout day the next day because your performance sucks.

Maybe you can suggest other social activities with your group of friends? Drinking is not the only fun thing you can do.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    So basically to balance out a normal cinco de mayo I'm going to have to run to mexico.
  • lmfbs
    lmfbs Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So basically to balance out a normal cinco de mayo I'm going to have to run to mexico.

Best start running now :p
  • gromithere
    gromithere Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    In addition to all of this good advice above, I suggest thinking ahead and bringing along some healthy foods BEFORE you start drinking. I have also noticed that due to the lower calories I've been eating, that just a couple of drinks is plenty to get a good buzz.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have more time and energy to work out, and I don't need to drink to have a good time and if my "friends" don't want me around because I don't have an alcoholic beverage in my hand, they're not really friends are they. FRIENDS are people who support your goals and don't give you **** for trying to make yourself healthier.

Love your whole post but this part really hits home - I actually had a "friend" get nasty with me because I left a party early to go to the gym once. Oh and she's one of those people who can drink 5 nights a week and stay in shape.

Yuck. You are better off without her! And if she's drinking (a lot) 5 nights a week, she may be in shape and look good now, but chances are she won't in a few years, while YOU on the other hand, by taking care of yourself will look fabulous :)
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Guys!! She's only 29 years old, no kids, newly engaged and has a very social group of friends! Though they may not be very supportive, they also may not understand the page she's on! All she's asking is how to do it! I don't see her asking herself or us if she has a problem with it! She obviously just needs a little guidance from a supportive forum.
    OP. Just a reminder oft things you need. Polar HRM, food scale, app phone. Stay in calorie deficit. Drink lots of water and work out HAM prior to going out, and the next day too.
    Someone mentioned high protein low cals the day of. Agreed.
  • hippie_spirit
    hippie_spirit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    ^^ this!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 and I go out in social situations probably 3 times a week. I used to drink some beer, but now (and for the past 3 mos or so) I abstain completely. My friends have no problem with me saying no to beer (and why should they really? It doesn't do anything for them one way or the other) I actully find it strange that at this stage of your life (you said 29 if I'm not mistaken) you would be subjected to peer pressure...
  • katelouiseoz
    Options
    Hi there - I am the same and have a busy social life which usually revolves around the pubs! I usually have a drink with the boyf of an evening with dinner as well... I try and drink vodka and diet coke of soda and lime when i'm out and have a few glasses of wine in the week. Basically I don't eat as much and make sure I stay within my calories. I only have a 1lb weight loss a week (most of the time) I guess it would be quicker if I gave up the booze!
  • stacyrenee29
    stacyrenee29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. Find out what is low in carbs and calories. Decide how much u are going to have... And decide first thing in the morning, so you can plan on what you r eating for the day and don't forget to count your calories as well. Don't do anything silly like fast and not eat so u can drink more... That only makes you ill, dehydrated and very drunk when u don't expect it. Also, remember to drink plenty of water through the day and in the evening, remember to drink one full glass of water after each drink that you have. Hope that helps.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    social drinker here. i generally stick to vodka and captain morgan's.

a flavored stoli + soda = 100 calories
    captain morgans + diet coke = 80 calories
    hendrick's gin + tonic = 100 calories

basically you want to watch your mixes since the alcohol itself isn't too bad if you're just having a few drinks. if i know i'm going to end up having more, i definitely make sure i have food ready for me when i get home, otherwise it's too tempting to eat something stupid while out