Looking for some new (and easy) vegetable recipes

Options
13»

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I love Brussels Sprouts, but my family not so much. So I cut them in half, put them in a steamer bag with a tablespoon of non fat, low sodium vegetable broth and a tiny bit of Mrs Dash Fiesta Lime and pop in the microwave. My daughter and husband love them now.
    I do something similar. Buy the smallest sprouts you can find - smaller is milder.

Cut 'em in half, quarters if they're big.

Put 'em in a big bowl and give 'em a big heavy sprinkle of greek seasoning and a little dash of olive oil. Toss vigorously.

Steamer bag, nuke for 3 minutes, feast. 3/5ths of the people in my house love them. (My grandson is 2 and picky, son is 22 and only eats fried crap).
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    OMD, I love asparagus...
    here is my recipe it is delish!!!

Cut off the ends, put in a baking dish

Drizzle olive oil over, sprinkle garlic or garlic powder and parmesian cheese over top.

Thats it!
  • rehtaeh78
    rehtaeh78 Posts: 90
    Options
    Bump 'cause my salads are getting old!
  • LyndsieLovejoyyy
    Options
    i'm no chef, but what i do with veggies

i eat baby carrots like you as a snack

spinach leaf salad with mushrooms and tomatoes

and when i want cooked veggies i either buy the steamers from walmart that are raw veggies and you pop it in the microwave or i take a bunch of random stuff like onions, spinach, musrooms, peppers, etc and throw it on a frying pan and push it around till its done. no ingredients, just veggies :)
  • kimmyl69
    kimmyl69 Posts: 14
    Options
    I love asparagus too!! Here's what I do and my husband LOVES it as much as I do!!! Steam it for approx 15 min...as soon as its done steaming, have a saute pan hot and sprayed with pam olive oil spray and 1 crushed clove or 2 of garlic and put steamed asparagus in and saute for a minute or two then squeeze the juice of a fresh whole lime on and saute for another 30 seconds-1 minute...season with salt and pepper...it is AMAZING!!!!!!
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Bump for inspiration.
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is quickest. Next is roasted veggies, just toss in a bit of olive oil and your favorite seasonings and stick it in a high oven (375-450) depending on the time for about 12-17 minutes. I like to get a nice char/caramelization. Just make a big batch then portion it out for the whole week. Serve over rice, in tacos, quesadillas, in sandwiches or paninis. Over soba noodles or pasta. Make a casserole with cottage cheese and some type of whole grain. I loved grilled veggies in a lettuce salad--it's always nice to have a warm meal. I also love slaws--and think outside the box, doesn't always have to be just cabbage- try broccoli, carrot, raw sweet potato (i promise it's good), zucchini, radicchio, kale, green beans. Just a bit of plain yogurt, salt pepper and lemon juice--you can even add a bit of shredded chicken. YUM!
    T
    he more you cook veggies, the more you realize how easy it it. Explore your sauces and seasonings to change the flavors, and even how you cut it affects your dish, I like big chunks-- feels more "meaty" and hearty. Then thin strips for tacos and pastas and slices for sandwiches.
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • sweetazcandi524
    sweetazcandi524 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    bumper crop of ideas!
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love these zucchini chips- pretty easy to make and I feel like they're a treat, like potato chips!
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-oven-chips-10000001087041/

I saute spinach with olive oil and garlic, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top and they're yummy

sliced cucumbers with hummus

Do you eat smoothies? I make smoothies and mix in kale for a "green smoothie." (you can do this with any green really, spinach is popular too). YOu can't even tell it's in there, and by the time I get to work I've already had one fruit and veggie serving!
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I sautee my vegetables (especially asparagus and zucchini) on the stove most of the time. Just a little olive oil (about a teaspoon) and medium high heat for about 8 minutes. I season with various Mrs. Dash blends. The Chicken Grilling Blend, Southwest Chipotle, and Italian Medley are really good. They add a little flair without sodium.

Steaming is also easy and retains most of the natural goodness in vegetables.

Roasting Cauliflower and Brussel Sprouts brings out a wonderful rich sweetness. Lightly toss with a little oilve oil, salt and pepper to taste and roast in a 400 degree oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. Squeezing lemon juice over them after they are roasted brings out even more complex flavors. Delicious.

I also roasted Kale recently - toss with a little olive oil and bake at a low temperature - about 225 - for about 20 minutes. The chips are wonderful when they are crisp. I found the recipe on this site for the Kale. Loved it - but it didn't store well. Best eaten right after it is oooked. Got soggy and chewy when left in a ziploc overnight.
  • scatterbrained
    scatterbrained Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Take a vegetable peeler to a zucchini and a carrot and peel them into a series of long ribbons. Heat a tiny bit of olive oil in a pan, and quickly toss the ribbons. Season with a little sea-salt and use in place of pasta.

Zucchini made in this way is particularly nice tossed with basil, feta, pepper and chilli.

Cabbage is also versatile. Thinly shredded cabbage can be quickly sauteed and also used in place of pasta. It can also be stir fried with garlic, sesame seeds and ginger, and used as a side dish.

Cauliflower can be cooked in vegetable stock, drained (make sure to remove all water) and mashed. Add chives, pepper and parmesan cheese (if desired).

Green beans and potato can be steamed and tossed in a bowl with olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Add fresh continental (flat leaf) parsley, fresh mint, and a small amount of garlic. Toss and serve. If you like fish, and either tuna or salmon for a healthy nicoise salad...
  • jenngi620
    jenngi620 Posts: 51
    Options
    Beans- Beans the magical fruit!! :-)

I like black bean salad. A variety of different recipes.

Usually has black beans (rinse well to get rid of the nasty sodium if you used canned) + frozen or canned corn + green and/or red onion+ avocado + red and or green peppers. For the dressing, a little olive oil, minces garlic, lemon juice.

Stays good for a few days in the fridge and is yummy.

There are lots of easy and quick recipes on line.

I tried this last night, it was amazing! I can't wait to make it again when my cilantro is mature and I can add in a few sprigs. Thanks for the great side dish idea!