Toning up with household objects. :)

Options

Replies

• stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Utube Jillian Michaels 30day shred level 1 (its free) grab your two cans or two water bottles and go for it she has an awesome workout program and it really works. Weather your useing 3pound weights or a 3pound bottle woo cares your doing something to better you go for it
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    You guys really don't think the equivalent of lifting nothing will build muscle, do you?

Am I getting trolled?

I believe she stated "tone", not "build". I don't know what she looks like, but if she's never done anything starting with 1 or 2 lbs is better than doing nothing and I applaud her for her effort. My profile pic shows miniscule biceps to some... but you didn't see where I STARTED from! I'm quite proud of my little bumps. I hope to make them bigger - and yes, I do use "real" weights.
    There's no such thing as "toning." There is building muscle, or not building muscle. In order to achieve the look people call "toned" you need higher muscle mass and low body fat.

While I agree with your premise, I reject the premise that this can only be done by lifting heavy (which I do and love). Body weight exercises can be effective. Curling a soup can probably won't be effective, at least not unless you do a LOT of reps. http://sweatscience.runnersworld.com/2012/04/light-weights-build-muscle-as-effectively-as-heavy-weights/?cm_mmc=NL-TrainingExtra-_-899092-_-05012012-_-Light-v.-Heavy is an article from runner's world that talks about a recent article that basically says lifting to fatigue with high or low weights gets the same amount of protein synthesis. There are a lot of women that swear by and have decent bodies from body pump... at this point, I lift heavy because I love it regardless of whether or not it is the only avenue that gets me the body I want.

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/training/cross-training/light-weights-many-reps-or-heavy-weights-fewer-reps/ is an older runner's world article that supports the more traditional point of view that lifting heavy is the way to go.

To the OP: Body weight exercises are probably your best option to maintain your muscle mass in a calorie deficit such that when you lower your body fat enough the muscle will show through a little and give you a little definition, which is what people typically mean by "toned". There is only muscle and fat, you can't "tone" muscle, only build it, lose it, or maintain it. And without steroids or a hormone imbalance, you will be unable to put on much muscle. In two months, I've put on approximately half a pound of muscle, and I lift as heavy as I can for 3-5 sets of 4-8.
  • danakah
    danakah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is a good book of body weight exercises.

http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0971407614

There is an app by the same guy that walks you through his workout plans. It's pretty good and way cheaper than a gym.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Even though nerdfitness helped me get started, its benefits didn't last long. If you want to see your muscles, you are going to have to build them. "Toning" isn't really going to do you much good as far as building strength, or getting the lean look that I think you are aiming for. Try getting a copy of "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" from the library. I promise lifting heavy isn't going to make you "bulky" or "look like a man." I lift heavy and the girl in that picture to the side playing guitar is me. No manly muscles, there. :)
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    richard1.jpg
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Some people are just hateful on these boards; they love to put others down. Also alot of people havent experienced broke! When you are broke, $1 can be too much to spend on weights. I agree with the person who said all you need is your own body weight. That sounds very productive to me! Good luck to you!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It takes super heavy weights and extra calories to gain muscle mass.

Your fat won't turn into muscle. It can't. It is biologically impossible. You will build muscle and lose fat, two completely different things.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises can work. Curling a 12 oz. can won't.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    You guys really don't think the equivalent of lifting nothing will build muscle, do you?

Am I getting trolled?

Lifting body weight and household objects is not lifting nothing. People built muscle before there was fitness equipment and gallon jugs of water do weigh something.
    I'm sure the original gladiators lifted things a lot heavier than water bottles.

Funny, I didn't see any gladiators posting... Hm.
    You are not contributing any sort of valuable suggestions, do you somehow feel important because you're ridiculing a bunch of non body building workout beginners? Not everyone can bench press 200 lb. So what household objects would you suggest they use if water bottles are so completely abhorrent and comical to you?
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i used to use the heaviest cans in the kitchen when i FIRST started working out... i would extend my arms to the side and do wind mills until my arms burned. . lay down and chest pressed until my arms got tired... push ups.. ect.
    i bought weights now tho lol ...
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises can work. Curling a 12 oz. can won't.

Curling nothing at all IS a body weight exercise. Some people have heavy arms. It won't hurt to add another few oz, will it?
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Wow, I don't believe some people. You can DEFINITELY build muscle with body weight and household objects. Some of my faves:

LOWER BODY

-Jump squats (MUCH more intense than regular)

UPPER BODY

-Tricep dips on a chair/couch

-Pushups (regular, dolphin pushups, triangle pushups, walking pushups, pushup jacks)
    and if you master those, try one of the following variations: http://www.askmen.com/top_10/fitness/top-10-push-up-pro-variations_10.html

-Pull ups (if you have access to a public park with monkey bars, let the kids play while you work out!)

CORE

-Hollow rocks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzxiORnGYAE)

-Upside down situps (hanging from monkey bars)

Weights:

canned goods, gallons, pillow case stuffed with canned goods, small children (lifting), larger children (squats with kid on piggy bag)

Another idea is going to garage sales. You can get a lot of equipment for very cheap!

And last but not least, this site: http://tanandtoned.tumblr.com/ has TONS of great free workouts! It even has 30ds :)

Hope that helps!!! Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it without weights or a gym!!!
  • shannoni_23
    shannoni_23 Posts: 25
    Options
    At my old bootcamp we did a lot of arm exercises with no weights. Hold your arms out to the sides & do 10 small circles to the front, then back. Then 10 big circles to the front, then back. Arms out at sides, up to clap above head, back down/up etc 10 times. Arms out, and forward clap at chest level 10 times.....basically a whole bunch of arms UP movements WITH NO BREAKS ugh, way harder than it looks/sounds.
    Push-ups on knees to start.
    Squats/lunges
    Crunches
    Stand against wall in a sitting position for 30 sec (or longer, but that's what I started out with)
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Am I getting trolled?

Lifting body weight and household objects is not lifting nothing. People built muscle before there was fitness equipment and gallon jugs of water do weigh something.
    I'm sure the original gladiators lifted things a lot heavier than water bottles.

You are not contributing any sort of valuable suggestions, do you somehow feel important because you're ridiculing a bunch of non body building workout beginners? Not everyone can bench press 200 lb. So what household objects would you suggest they use if water bottles are so completely abhorrent and comical to you?
    Her point was that people can build muscle without a gym. And yes, you do need to build muscle to be defined or to "tone" as you are so set on calling it.

I've already made my suggestion, lift heavy weights, but everyone's too enamored with their current conception of how to "tone." I can't bench 200, nor am I a bodybuilder, but I still lift weights that are heavy for me because that's what works.
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Am I getting trolled?

Her point was that people can build muscle without a gym. And yes, you do need to build muscle to be defined or to "tone" as you are so set on calling it.

I've already made my suggestion, lift heavy weights, but everyone's too enamored with their current conception of how to "tone." I can't bench 200, nor am I a bodybuilder, but I still lift weights that are heavy for me because that's what works.

I'm sorry, but how exactly do you explain programs such as Insanity that involve NO weights?
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options

Am I getting trolled?

And I agree that people should lift as heavy as they can, but a gallon jug of water may be the heaviest they can manage as a dumbell substitute.

Another suggestion I have is doing a standard plank position, then alternate raising each leg as high as you can while keeping yourself stable and your back and neck aligned and your core muscles tight. I can manage 10 for each leg before I get wobbly.
  • lmfbs
    lmfbs Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Am I getting trolled?

I'm sorry, but how exactly do you explain programs such as Insanity that involve NO weights?

The strength stuff is bodyweight exercises, which can build muscle. You're also going to burn fat, resulting in a leaner figure where the muscle is more visible.

The point was it's going to be more effective to lift heavy things. I lift my drinkbottle to my mouth with the same hand over 100 times a day yet the arm I do it with is actually *weaker* than my other one. Go figure.
  • RosesFitNotes
    RosesFitNotes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i have 4 children, and they were all under the age of 5 at one time. Can can workout at home and make it count.

#1. do push-ups #2. squats. no equipment necessary. "Insanity style" moves need no equipment. the internet has TONS of videos. they may not be very long but will give you ideas and usually proper form. one thing is for sure you need both cardio and strength training. especially for woman. don't wait to lose wait to strength train.

if you can buy anything--- get a medium and a heavy strength resistance band. you can do everything with them.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Am I getting trolled?

Insanity is a fat burning program. Reducing bodyfat to expose muscle is not the same thing as building muscle. Nobody builds significant amounts of lean mass only doing Insanity.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I was also told about a book called, "The Naked Warrior" which is supposed to be a really good body weight workout book. I wanna check it out, but I'm waiting for it to reach the library because I, too, am poor, and can't afford to buy it new.