What is the best book you have ever read about nutrition?

Options
jenn_may
jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
I have a goal to read one book on proper nutrition every month. Let me know what you all recommend!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I actually just started reading the first book on nutrition I've ever read. It's "Mind Your Heart: A Mind/Body Approach to Stress Management, Exercise, and Nutrition for Heart Health" by Aggie Casey, Herbert Benson and Ann MacDonald

I'm not very far into yet, but since it's the only book on nutrition I've read it will have to be the best.

I do read a lot of publications (newsletters, clinical journals, articles, etc.) on nutrition though. I've read a lot of great stuff but my favorites are by Walter Willett.
  • canuckgirl0992
    Options
    The Food Revolution by John Robbins!
  • jenn_may
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    A Guide to Flexible Dieting by Lyle McDonald.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/a-guide-to-flexible-dieting
  • OccupyFitness
    OccupyFitness Posts: 147
    Options
    Not about nutrition, but I liked Animal Vegetable Miracle for the story themes about food and family and questioning our relationship to our local food community.
  • hhowey
    hhowey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't think this was The Best, but I like to be as educated as possible about nutrition options out there, so I liked reading the Atkins book.
  • jenn_may
    Options
    Not about nutrition, but I liked Animal Vegetable Miracle for the story themes about food and family and questioning our relationship to our local food community.

I love books like this too. I have read many books on organic farming.
  • nutandbutter
    nutandbutter Posts: 447
    Options
    A Guide to Flexible Dieting by Lyle McDonald.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/a-guide-to-flexible-dieting

Plus Lyle has a ton of great articles on his site. Also, alanaragon.com. Although they're not books, the articles on both of these sites are definitely worth reading.
  • coolteenager101
    coolteenager101 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Their are books about nutrition?
    I know their are science books, but like fictional books?
    However, the best book I read was "The Last Apprentice"
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    the Bible... lots of fish, bread, and wine in there and thats all i eat. now i look "God-like"
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    The Joy of Cooking. Seriously. It's old, but some wonderful creative and useful recipes to learn how to cook better for yourself.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain...serious eye-openers in those pages.
  • ginamc04
    ginamc04 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The China Study, Eat to Live, Forks Over Knives, Engine 2 Diet, Eat Clean Diet, Body for Life, Bring it!

They are all great! I can't remember the rest!
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Fast Food Nation.

Or just watch the movie.

this is the only book i have read nutrition wise.

so ignore my post

I love jelly
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    BTW--- there are a lot of GREAT food documentaries too...

-Food matters
    -Forks over knices
    -Food Inc
    -Hungry for change (free: http://www.hungryforchange.tv/)
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Brain Longevity

by D. S. Khalsa
  • jenn_may
    Options
    The China Study, Eat to Live, Forks Over Knives, Engine 2 Diet, Eat Clean Diet, Body for Life, Bring it!

They are all great! I can't remember the rest!

I have read Engine 2 and loved it! Forks Over Knives has been recommended to me a lot so it might be next on the list.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It's old but Fit or Fat is pretty good as far as good solid nutrition information and no nonsense approach to eating healthy. I've also just read Eat to Live and learned quite a few new things. You know, after dieting for years and taking tons of nutrition classes I sometimes feel like I'm not learning a whole lot when I read a new diet/nutrition book, but I learned a ton of things I didn't know in this one!
  • jenn_may
    Options
    Fast Food Nation.

Or just watch the movie.

this is the only book i have read nutrition wise.

so ignore my post

I love jelly

HA! You make me laugh. I have seen Fast Food Nation, but thanks for the recommendation!
  • jenn_may
    Options
    It's old but Fit or Fat is pretty good as far as good solid nutrition information and no nonsense approach to eating healthy. I've also just read Eat to Live and learned quite a few new things. You know, after dieting for years and taking tons of nutrition classes I sometimes feel like I'm not learning a whole lot when I read a new diet/nutrition book, but I learned a ton of things I didn't know in this one!

Awesome! Thank you. My goal is to become a nutritionist. I am trying to get a head start before I begin schooling.