Hungrier on lifting rest days?

Options
Nopedotjpeg
Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
I've noticed over the last few months of strength training I've been hungrier on rest days than I am on lifting days. Despite the variable food differences, it seems like a consistent thing. This ends up being a pain in the *kitten* big time because I'm going over on rest days. I'm guessing the only thing I can do is just better planning, but I'm wondering if other people experience this or not? I always read people who eat more on lifting days than rest days.

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I actually rarely notice a huge difference. That's possibly because I try to pre-plan my meal times so that if I do get hungry, I'm not left alone with a house full of food.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    im not heavy lifting, but i get ravenous on my rest days too. it actually throws me off for days at a time sometimes. Firstly because I usually eat back my work out calories so my body is used to having more food in a regualr day....secondly because I dont feel as responsible maybe? I'm starting to consider not taking rest days at all. I dont think thats a good thing necessarily, but i do some pretty rigorous workouts. so much so that i can actually double my calorie intake on most days if i do eat them all back.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I always read people who eat more on lifting days than rest days.

It depends. If you're on a calorie deficit or even just maintaining you really don't eat more on lifting days versus non-lifting days but you should consider eating differently. Lifting days are commonly higher carb, high protein, low fat, whereas non-lifting days can be high protein, reduced carbs, increased fat.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I am usually hungrier on my rest days too.
  • RestartThisRight
    Options
    ive stopped taking rest days because of it! That, and I always hate rest days anyway. I get soo hungry on rest days! its ridiculous!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    ive stopped taking rest days because of it! That, and I always hate rest days anyway. I get soo hungry on rest days! its ridiculous!

I don't have that option. The result of me not taking my rest day the day before upping the weights is a barbell rolling off my back because of having to fail a rep. =/

EDIT: And yeah, I know I screwed up having to fail the rep. Should've set up safety catches higher.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm hungriest the day after lots of exercise, which usually corresponds with rest. I presumed my body is saying "you used half my glycogen and I want it back, oh, and look at all these cells you broke, I need stuff to fix them."

I eat a sustained intake that does not fluctuate based on exercise, with what seems to be a quite modest deficit.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on rest days, so I'm hungry every day. :wink:
  • gafrausto
    gafrausto Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents, but that's when you're body is repairing (building) after you've made micro tears in your muscles. Sleep the most productive repair/growth time, but those rest days (especially since you're going to fail) are also essential for growth and as you've stated to recover in order to go to fail on your next workout.

If you speak to a reputable trainer, they'll tell you that you need more rest days when going to failure so often and may recommend that you not go to failure as often.

Good luck and as long as you're not gaining unwanted to weight feed your hunger :)
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    It's good to hear that I am not the only one...I am so hungry the days after lifting as well. :(
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I always read people who eat more on lifting days than rest days.

It depends. If you're on a calorie deficit or even just maintaining you really don't eat more on lifting days versus non-lifting days but you should consider eating differently. Lifting days are commonly higher carb, high protein, low fat, whereas non-lifting days can be high protein, reduced carbs, increased fat.

wow, I never knew that, thanks
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents, but that's when you're body is repairing (building) after you've made micro tears in your muscles. Sleep the most productive repair/growth time, but those rest days (especially since you're going to fail) are also essential for growth and as you've stated to recover in order to go to fail on your next workout.

If you speak to a reputable trainer, they'll tell you that you need more rest days when going to failure so often and may recommend that you not go to failure as often.

Good luck and as long as you're not gaining unwanted to weight feed your hunger :)

^^^ This
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Any time I get a really good lifting session in, I am voraciously hungry the next day - pretty much no matter what I do or don't do.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Does your rest day follow your lifting day? I am always ravenous the day after a heavy day (I lift at night)...
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

It's not supposed to be to failure. But I did something dumb and did sprints the day before I tried upping my Squat another 10 lb. Didn't go over well.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would be an issue if you consistently ate a little more on rest days and a little less on lifting days. I know lots of people do the opposite, but to me, it almost seems to make more sense to eat more the day AFTER to fuel the muscle rebuilding. But like all the other fine tuning stuff we try to do, I bet in the end, the impact is negligible to nil.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Here seems to be my new pattern, I'm new to lifting....
    I lift heavy, I come home and all I want to do is SLEEP.
    Later that day or the next day, I seem to be really hungry. And I'm eating at a moderate deficit, nothing extreme.
    So I've been curious as well if this is just psychological or if others have had the same experience.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm like a ravenous beast on the days after lifting, especially considering I lift at night.
    Keeping in mind that I'm eating 3,200-3,500 a day and aiming to bulk up, but muscles do their building and repair work on your 'rest days' - not during the workout. Hence why you're hungrier the day after.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Rest days are the hungriest days ever. I'm going to start eating the same amount on rest days, because I doubt it will affect me in the long run, 500 cals more or whatever. Hongriness is no friend of mine.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    breaking it down into 'rest day' and 'lifing day' is probably a little pointless, depending when you lift. Logically something you haven't actually done yet can't really effect you. When lifting at night, why would that make you hungrier during that day?? I mean your body is not psychic. But if I lifted in the morning, I am sure I'd be hungry all day.