Options
    i eat foods that total less calories than i expend in a day to lose weight
    Huh?
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Huh?

What he's trying to say is that you don't always need to over-analyse things. Tracking your calorie intake and expenditure (and making sure that you consume less than you burn) is the only real sure-fire way to lose weight. That's step 1.

Step 2 is to get your macronutrient balance right (at a very simplistic level - make sure you get enough protein and fats each day, and fill the rest of your calorie 'allowance' with carbs).

Step 3 is looking at improving the quality of your diet, to make sure you are getting good levels of essential micronutrients. This will increase your overall health.

Step 1 will see you lose WEIGHT, step 2 (primarily adequate protein and fat intake) will see that the weight you lose is mostly fat - should also be combined with resistance training, and that your body has the right types of fuel. Step 3 will make you a healthier person, increase functions such as your immune system and cognitive functioning and many more!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Here is what I have been doing since day one.

Eat whatever you want. Just make sure you count every single calorie on here. And I mean EVERY SINGLE CALORIE and at the end of the day, make sure it is below you Daily allowance.

By default, you will start cutting out what I call USELESS calories.

Seems to work for me.
  • angcubby
    angcubby Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try a plant based diet. Plenty of proteins! ( example:spinach!) And cutting out animal fat and protein and processed foods helps A TON. My husband did this and has lost 20 lbs in the last two months. I've lost over 30 lbs with the plant based lifestyle. Lemon water helps, too.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I eat all the foods!

All the foods that fit into my calorie goal. There is no magical type of food that will help you lose weight.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Huh?

What he's trying to say is that you don't always need to over-analyse things. Tracking your calorie intake and expenditure (and making sure that you consume less than you burn) is the only real sure-fire way to lose weight. That's step 1.

Step 2 is to get your macronutrient balance right (at a very simplistic level - make sure you get enough protein and fats each day, and fill the rest of your calorie 'allowance' with carbs).

Step 3 is looking at improving the quality of your diet, to make sure you are getting good levels of essential micronutrients. This will increase your overall health.

Step 1 will see you lose WEIGHT, step 2 (primarily adequate protein and fat intake) will see that the weight you lose is mostly fat - should also be combined with resistance training, and that your body has the right types of fuel. Step 3 will make you a healthier person, increase functions such as your immune system and cognitive functioning and many more!

I'm gonna go ahead and concur with this. Thanks :smile:
  • joannecita26
    joannecita26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Words to live by!

Also, overcoming a plateau can be assisted by the other side of the equation... energy expenditure. It might be time to change up your exercise routine.
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have kicked up my fruit intake in the last month or so. It tastes great and you can basically eat as much as you want. I have lost 6lbs and because of strength training, gained muscle. I also eat a lot of beans for protein. If I am lacking in my fats, I usually do a tablespoon of organic olive or coconut oil.
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Nonfat yogurt! Studies have shown that having 3 servings a day burns belly fat. It's a delicious way for me to bust that gut!
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have been on a plateau for the last nearly month. I have been trying, but I haven't been losing any weight.
    So, I would like to know what you are all eating that is good, and low in calories and maybe high in protein. And it can't be bad to go over your protein limit, right?
    Stephen

Open up that diary!
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    *Change things up- exercise & food
    * Add Cinnamon to your meals
    It speeds up your metabolism & keeps you fuller longer
    I usually have Oat Bran w/ Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves, Honey(optional)
    & Almond Milk(vanilla)
    I make it into a liquid consistency so that it's drinkable after consuming that
    It keeps me full and satisfied for the whole day then at your next meal you're
    Not as hungry
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    Nonfat yogurt! Studies have shown that having 3 servings a day burns belly fat. It's a delicious way for me to bust that gut!
    Great suggestion. The calcium from any low fat DAIRY product (not supplement) will help you excrete more fat.
  • mwestmount
    mwestmount Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Eat whatever you want. Just make sure you count every single calorie on here. And I mean EVERY SINGLE CALORIE and at the end of the day, make sure it is below you Daily allowance.

Seems to work for me.

I'd say it works!!!!!!! Congrats on the 50lbs!
  • mwestmount
    mwestmount Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump

please explain "Bump"
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone already said this so it's just a comment really but I can't believe the difference that food makes in weight loss. Hear me out, I thought, ok...i'm going to eat 1600 calories a day. A calorie is a calorie right? Well yes...and no. Eating 1600 calories of clean foods makes me lose about twice the weight that eating 1600 calories of mcdonalds does. I know that it's salt, and water retention but your body burns smarter and faster with clean foods. Try to limit your fast food, your simple carbs and eat as naturally as possible. Drink plenty of water and I promise you will blast through this plateau. Good luck!
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You *bump* a topic to bring it to the top of the page. Threads are placed on the page in order of activity (replies). By adding *bump* your reply moves it to the top of the page and others have the opportunity to reply.
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Seems to work for me.

This

I found that this means that I have to literally earn the calories for my treats a.k.a. useless calories. I also go over my protein count every single day - I have to in order to stay full, or at least not feel like I could gnaw on my desktop =-) My calorie goal for weight loss daily is 1200 - 1340 which doesn't leave much wiggle room without considerable exercise. I eat a lot of tuna, salmon, oatmeal, greek yogurt, hummus and beans to get the extra protein and not a ton of calories. Good luck to you, I hope you find some good ideas that help!
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    *Change things up- exercise & food
    * Add Cinnamon to your meals
    It speeds up your metabolism & keeps you fuller longer
    I usually have Oat Bran w/ Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves, Honey(optional)
    & Almond Milk(vanilla)
    I make it into a liquid consistency so that it's drinkable after consuming that
    It keeps me full and satisfied for the whole day then at your next meal you're
    Not as hungry

Do you have exact measurements for this? It sounds like an awesome post morning workout meal/treat. Thanks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!