How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I know people say to weigh yourself every week, but I'm finding that this practice discourages me a lot. Has anyone tried weighing themselves just once a month instead? I'll tell you why I ask.

I've been lifting weights. It's actually the first time I've tried this when I'm trying to lose. I would never in a million years have guessed it would make such a big difference to my body shape, but it has. The problem is that the scale is now being uncooperative.

I am working VERY hard at losing weight. I control my cravings, I eat lean protein and plenty of fruits and veggies. And it is SO discouraging to do all of that work and then see the scale at the EXACT same weight 2 weeks in a row.

I'm wondering if I do it once a month and see an actual difference if it would help. What does everyone think?

Replies

• auuudriana
    auuudriana Posts: 18
    Options
    I weight myself every morning. I know they say not to do that, but for me it just works better. I find that I keep myself more on track if I weigh myself everyday. Once a month is a long time, though. Maybe try every two weeks?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day.

I know it's better to weigh once a week during weight loss, but there is evidence to suggest that weighing daily for maintenance is more likely to produce successful results.

I don't get my panties all bunched up if I'm up one day over the day before, but if it doesn't come back down in a couple of days I know I have to be a little more diligent with weighing and measuring food etc. I am also a numbers nerd and love weighing myself before and after a long run to see how well I compensated for water loss etc. I'll sometimes weigh at night and then again in the morning.
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    I second the motion for every two weeks.

That being said, you're in a different phase of your fitness now that you're lifting. Different phase = different tool for measuring success. It might be time to "let go" of the scale for a while and start measuring the circumference of your muscles (and waist etc).

Eventually, you'll probably see the scale go down, sure, but in the mean time, keep your sanity by focusing on other measures of success.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I only record gains if they stay for more than 3-4 days in a row. Some may be discouraged by weighing too often, I think it's kind of a game. Some days I might hit the scale 2-3 times... interesting to see the fluctuations after meals or working out.

I'm a bigger guy, and can drift 3-5 lbs / day depending...

If you're weight lifting, seeing the scale not move might actually be a good sign.... pull out the tape measure instead.. measure your waist or hips and then compare in two weeks.. If your working out that heavy and not moving the scale, I bet the tape is moving instead!
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The only change it make will be in your head. It won't make you lose any more quickly or more slowly, and it won't change your body. You're doing weights, which will burn fat and add muscle. You're replacing mass with mass, so it's expected that the scale won't budge. Your metric at this point should instead be a measuring tape.

Of course, this all depends on your intake versus TDEE. If you're eating at a deficit, you should still lose weight regardless of whether or not you're adding muscle. Eating healthy is important, but more important is your calorie count if your primary goal is just to make the scale budge.

Also, if you're just starting weights then you're probably more prone to water retention as the muscles rebuild. It will add weight, but it's just water.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself daily, but only record my weight once a week.
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    i weigh myself daily, but only record my weight once a week.

Ditto
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    If I feel like weighing, then I weigh. But honestly, usually once a week. I've gone as long as a month without but I usually get off track if I do that. I've also done the every day thing, and while some people think it's best to do that, I don't. I get discouraged if I don't see results.
  • Aprilb6
    Aprilb6 Posts: 1
    Options
    I weigh in every day first thing in the morning; other than the week before and the week during my menstrual cycle. Studies show that people who weigh themselves often tend to stay leaner. However, when you first start working out and your muscles get sore, the inflammation process cause your body to retain some fluid, so in the beginning of a new workout routine you may weigh a pound or 2 more than you did when you get started. We shouldn't get discouraged. Once your body gets used to the new routine, the inflammation will go down and the water retention will disappear. Then when you change up your routine and start getting sore again, the entire process starts again.
  • stacyrenee29
    stacyrenee29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Every morning before eating or drinking and after voiding. Either no clothes or if that makes u uncomfortable than the same clothes each weigh-in.Best results this way. Seeing the daily numbers help to keep u accountable. Sometimes you cheat skittle but if u see the numbers go up, then u realize that you can't cheat if you want results. I used to hate weighing myself, but then I realized how much the daily weigh-ins helped.
  • lolcatftw
    lolcatftw Posts: 36
    Options
    I don't. In fact, I just ballparked what I thought my weight was. Rather, I take candids every few mornings in front of the mirror while keeping absolutely true to my food and exercise log. Photos say a lot more than a scale about your physique. MFP is built on basic science: kcal in - kcal burned = net kcal deficit/surplus, so you'll meet your goals regardless. If you're building muscle while burning fat then your weight is not indicative of your progress anyway (cliché, but true).

If it makes you feel good then weigh yourself. If not then don't. You can also take a measuring tape to your trunk and appendages, have your BMI measured periodically, log improvements to your favorite exercises (e.g., pace for runners), etc. Whatever keeps you motivated.
  • royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    every 4-5 days but record when I know it went down...lol :embarassed:

12146223.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Jessica_Henry74
    Options
    Everyday but I only record on MFP on Sundays.

A lot of people say it's not good to weigh everyday because the numbers fluctuate so much.....but I am addicted. LOL!
  • wantu2wantme
    Options
    I weigh myself like 5 times a day. haha
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm weighing myself weekly this month because I'm close to a weight I haven't been in ages, so it's a phychological thing. However, once I see that number (this weekend I hope), I'll weigh every two weeks.

I will take measurements each weekend from here out though.
  • Lmdaniels
    Lmdaniels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am obsessive about weighing. Several times a day. Before and after voiding. Before I go to bed when I get up. After a workout...really depressing around the time of my cycle its amazing how the weights fluctuate. I only document weekly for weight, and monthly for inches...
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    I second the motion for every two weeks.

That being said, you're in a different phase of your fitness now that you're lifting. Different phase = different tool for measuring success. It might be time to "let go" of the scale for a while and start measuring the circumference of your muscles (and waist etc).

Eventually, you'll probably see the scale go down, sure, but in the mean time, keep your sanity by focusing on other measures of success.
  • NittanyLion95
    Options
    I weigh every morning before my shower, but only record my weight (regardless of gain or loss) on Wednesday mornings. I stick with the same day/time each week and it's been working for me...it keeps me honest. I see the scale go up and I know I've over-indulged, so I get back on track. Good luck!
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    for me personally, once a week at the same time wearing the same clothes, its more realistic, every day isn't as realsitic as water retention and the time of day is a big factor. i used to be obsessed with weighing daily, it didnt work for me
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Every day, several times a day. I only record when there is a loss though.