Best breakfast to stop hunger till lunch?

Options
Hey all,

Currently I am having two slices of wholemeal bread with butter for breakfast but my hunger pangs kick in around 11am. The only access I have at work to a quick snack is a vending machine full of temptation so I would rather avoid that!

What do you guys recommend to keep the hunger away till after 12pm?

Replies

• jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    A much bigger breakfast...I have yogurt and protein every morning along with 2 or 3 other things thrown in there...I have that around 7am and it normally lasts me until 11/12 o`clock..
  • ShwetaK2130
    ShwetaK2130 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I too get hungry by the time I reach work.. I have a glass full of milk and eggs (in various ways) or fruits to keep me going till lunch.
    I usually eat twice in morning.. One at 7 and the next at 10 ..
    Hope this helps .. ^-^ :smile:
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The usual porridge and fruit is a great stay for me or something with protein would be great, would you be able to fry an egg to go along with the toast.

On the snack front you will have to be organised and bring some if you want to succeed. Its the best piece of advice I can give, bring a bag of apples and a packet of nuts with you at the beginning of the week and use those as an 11a.m. snack. It pays to be organised otherwise that vending machine will win everytime. I know believe me.
  • cajmanthei
    cajmanthei Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Getting more protein in might be helpful. How about some eggs and just one piece of bread.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Well no wonder! There's no protein...

On days I have time, I have oatmeal with fruit, soy milk, PB, and on dash out days, it's Greek yoghurt with nuts & some protein cereal
  • alp1990
    alp1990 Posts: 56
    Options
    scrambled egg on toast :)
  • farahsaleem
    farahsaleem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    3 slices of wholemeal bread with an egg keep away my hunger till 2 pm ...
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of Cream of Wheat (sometimes it is Malt O Meal and sometimes Cocoa Wheats -- I don't add sugar to any of them and no, I don't eat oatmeal.. it makes me gag) and then I have some cottage cheese with fruit. I eat around 6:30am and can easily make it until 11:30 or noon before I want to eat again.
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    yep, a more filling breakfast, how about peanut butter instead of regular butter on that bread and a glass of skim milk to go with it? Add some fruit, bring a granola bar, or my favorite 100 calorie snack, Special K Fruit Crisps, to hold you over after breakfast/before lunch.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Eggs, can even be made the night before and heated in the microwave. A small bag of nuts as snack. I scramble one or two whole eggs and 4-5 egg whites, top it with salsa for some zing at 6:00 a.m., keeps me satisfied for about 4 hours, then 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds (you can have almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc)
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfasts are either a whole wheat low fat Eggo waffle with peanut butter or a Dunkin Donuts bacon egg and cheese wrap. This provides protein which lasts longer than just carbs. Sometimes I eat a boiled egg and grits. I also eat a snack at 10am, a small piece of fruit or a raw veggie. Yesterday was cantaloupe. Day before was raw cucumbers. That carries me over until lunch and I usually eat around 12 or 1230. My husband eats grapes and cashews for a snack. don't let yourself get too hungry or you will find yourself in front of the vending machines.
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thank you - lots of great advice.

I thought I was being clever just having a small breakfast - but I guess the problem lies there. I think tomorrow I will try a bit of egg on one slice of toast and see how I go. Will also throw in a little milk too!

I will bring in a few apples, bananas etc and leave them in my desk drawer for elevenses!

Thanks guys!
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    oh, and don't forget to gulp that water!!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry before lunch. One thing that keeps me full, though, is overnight oats (pretty much muesli) soaked in milk or almond milk and a little juice from an orange or lemon. I don't really do it too often because it requires mixing the night before, but the one that kept me fullest the longest was 50 g oats soaked in milk and juice from half an orange, then the next morning, just before I ate it, I stirred in 1/2 a scoop (15 g) protein powder. Otherwise, you could do a similar thing with hot porridge. If you're just having toast, you might need a little more protein. How about two slices of toast, one with egg and one with peanut butter or butter and jam or something. Also, I don't know what your dietary preferences are but I used to eat a lot of smoked salmon and scrambled egg on toast for breakfast. That's pretty filling. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas. I love breakfast.
  • FerryfieldLad
    Options
    oh, and don't forget to gulp that water!!

Oh I am drinking a lot of water - and the regular walk to the loo is adding to my exercise. :tongue:
  • naturlkish910
    Options
    I have steel cut oats using almond milk and agauve to sweeten it. Pretty good and it holds me (=
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I avoid the vending machine by having a bag of nuts in my drawer at work. When I get that mid morning or late afternoon hunger a small handfull holds me over and saves me money. If you have an office fridge a cheese stick would do the same.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You can try this...

1/2 cup of Oatmeal
    1 Tbsp of Peanutbutter
    1 scoop of Protein Powder
    1 Bananna
    Depending on the protein powder its Roughly about

455 Cals
    60 Carbs
    35 Protein
    20 Sugar

This i have at 6-630 am

Then im off to the Gym shortly after ( i like to workout in the morning)

mix everything together and microwave for 45sec and voila ready to eat.

I have this EVERY MORNING
    LOL

Enjoy
  • FerryfieldLad
    Options
    You can try this...

1/2 cup of Oatmeal
    1 Tbsp of Peanutbutter
    1 scoop of Protein Powder
    1 Bananna
    Depending on the protein powder its Roughly about

455 Cals
    60 Carbs
    35 Protein
    20 Sugar

This i have at 6-630 am

Then im off to the Gym shortly after ( i like to workout in the morning)

mix everything together and microwave for 45sec and voila ready to eat.

I have this EVERY MORNING
    LOL

Enjoy

Thanks - will give this a try!
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Bowl of porridge with blueberries/banana then a hard boiled egg with a cup of herbal nettle/fennel tea. Really filling and lasts til 12 o'clocl.