Not sure how to cut down on sugar! Suggestions?

Options
Everyday I find I've eaten too much sugar (according to MFP), which makes sense really considering my penchant for meringues - HOWEVER, even if we disregard this I'm still over. Considering that only thing contributing to this is my fruit intake, I'm a little conflicted.

Is overloading on fruit sugar rather than lolly sugar okay, or should I be cutting out my daily banana?

Replies

• Jessieh6266
    Options
    Aside from cutting back on the un-necessary sugars like the ones found in cookies, yes there are a lot of sugars in fruits. Albeit, the sugars found in fruits are better for you and are more easily digestible. This being said, instead of a full banana, eat half. The fruits I have had to cut back on severely (I have had the same issue) are: grapes, watermellon, and mangoes. However, sugar is everywhere, aside from proteins. So, instead of reaching for that tempting fruit, go for some peanut butter and celery. Or in my case, peanut butter and carrots (may sound weird but it tastes good, then again I am 4 months pregnant and sometimes can't be trusted) =D
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    . Or in my case, peanut butter and carrots (may sound weird but it tastes good, then again I am 4 months pregnant and sometimes can't be trusted) =D

Not pregnant but LOVE carrots dipped in peanut butter!!!!!
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat foods with added sugar/sugar substitutes and I don't put sugar in my coffee. I still eat lots of fruit. I stopped tracking sugar.
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    if you do want to cut down then maybe choose a different fruit?
    bananas will increase your sugar more than say an apple, however they are still alot lot healthier than a daily lolly-pop! lol
    things like meringues and ice cream cant really be made without sugar, but if that's your daily snack then you need to decide if you do want to substitute it for something like carrot sticks and hummus or a nakd bar or just to enjoy it

id avoid 'low fat' foods as they tend to substitute fat with sugar and sweeteners,

if you need something sweet have half or a smaller portion but as long as your carbs aren't too high and you are under your calories then i would worry about sugar too much!

fruits in season tend to taste nicer than when they arent so that could help with eating other fruits if u wanted to substitute you banana
  • BonnellCA
    Options
    Try pomelo fruit, a slightly naturally sweet grapefruit, is a good choice for a low-sugar fruit.
    And try baking some of Jamie Eason's lemon protein bars or chocolate protein bars. recipes are on bodybuilder.com
    They have no sugar (they use stevia) and are absolutely delicious. Even my teenagers love them...and have both lost several pounds while their mom adjusts the available snacks in the house! Everyone wins!
  • oliviagetsdown
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll probably just replace one of my daily fruits to vegetables just to cut down a little. It's just so confusing being told that you have to have 3 fruits a day, but then that that's already too much sugar!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll probably just replace one of my daily fruits to vegetables just to cut down a little. It's just so confusing being told that you have to have 3 fruits a day, but then that that's already too much sugar!

No.. you dont have to have three fruits per day.... every person's different. I cant digest 90% of the fruits available, I have fruit maybe one serving per week... I fill up fast on vegetables....
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    On the back of this thread, I've just set my food to count sugar :noway:
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    And according to this morning's entry, I've already exceeded my daily allowance - had porridge for breakfast, a fruit salad and a yoghurt :grumble: :grumble:

So, in view of that, I shall NOT be tracking sugar anymore incase it gives me an eating disorder :explode:
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    I have this problem too. I usually have a piece of fruit with breakfast and bam, half my day's sugar is consumed. I don't know. I try and stay away from things with added sugar and just sort of choose to accept that my sugar level might be high. I also try to pick from the more nutrient rich types of fruit so I am getting for than my sweet fix out of it. :)
  • ivy32582
    ivy32582 Posts: 3
    Options
    I looked for this thread after realizing that my 1 cup of 1% low fat milk counted as 12 for my sugar intake for the day..i guess I agree with those of you who say to just cut out the junk food sugars and Ill keep my healthy sugars at least for now. :smile:
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I would count dairy sugars but I don't count fruit sugars. I don't really eat fruit excessively though. If you are concerned, replacing fruit with a veggie snack is a good option.
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The problem with tracking sugar is that fruit sugar isn't all that bad for you. When the food guides come out and they talk about limiting your sugar intake, they mean from refined sugars. Fructose can be safely consumed in moderation. 3 servings of fruit a day is pretty healthy and within the limits of the Canada and US food guides.