NHL Playoffs

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    When I think of tough players Jeremy Roenick inevitably comes to mind. In what other sport would a man with a broken thumb sit on the team bench and adjust his shattered jaw and then go out for another shift? GO FLYERS!!!
  • chrissyv1024
    chrissyv1024 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been on ice.. but I'm no skater. I am seriously amazed at the skill that hockey players have to move on ice and how quickly they get up from a fall, etc. those pics are pretty nasty. I think it may be the most violent sport out there... i do love a good fight tho! ;)

oh .. and go CAPS!
  • Bruinsmama
    Bruinsmama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My son & I just started playing street hockey, even though I have been a rabid Bruins fan for decades. I have a new appreciation for the HITS & INJURIES, especially being hit by the puck!

And my son & I don't throw down and fight at all, but I bet that hurts too!:sad:

Still love my Bs but right now rootin' for Jersey, so Go Devils! :flowerforyou:
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

and for me World Cup soccer is the best sports event to watch.

I have some grass that is currently growing, if you'd like to give that a watch too!!
  • bwmiller1
    bwmiller1 Posts: 98
    Options
    Hockey is the greatest sport ever. Hands down. Assclown indeed.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Any major sport is hard to play, weather it's hockey, baseball, soccer, whatever. I've been skating since I was 4 and have played hockey my whole life, and yes it is a hard sport to play. So is baseball. I played a couple of years of baseball when I was young, but now I play slow pitch and have been playing for 20 years now. I had a friend come out to spare with us who use to be a pitcher in his early 20's and asked him to throw me some balls. Yeah a fastball down the middle may be easy but if you've never played baseball or at least not professionally, try to hit a slider or a breaking ball. Good luck. It is very hard to hit a baseball nevermind from a major leaguer. Anyone can run in the field and catch a ball but if you can't hit your nothing. I've never played soccer in my life and I'm pretty sure if you put me on the field, everyone would be running circles around me especially the guys who have been playing for years.I'm sure basketball, lacrosse, tennis, any sport is hard to play and be good at it otherwise we would all be playing and making millions like them right? to each his own on what sports we like, but to say hockey is easy or baseball is easy is ridiculous. Nuff said.
  • bethany1031
    bethany1031 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hockey is second only to football in my book - and it's a close second. Like 1 and 1A. Playoff hockey, on the other hand, is by far the best thing to watch. We lived in Raleigh, NC and were season ticket holders for the Hurricanes for a few years - went to almost every home playoff game the year they won the cup. I always say that the only thing better than playoff hockey is overtime playoff hockey.

I could not agree more with 1 & 1A. Although I think Hockey is my 1 & Football my 1A. Was lucky enough to be at the game where Blues made it through 1st round of playoffs - amazing! Especially since they've sucked so hard the last decade or so. Hubby is from Detroit & a die hard Wings fan.....tends to get a little interesting at our house during Wings/Blues games.

Can I get a LET'S GO BLUES!!!!!
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    I love hockey, especially once the playoffs roll around. It seems like players will give up life and limb for their team. It's definitely my favorite time of year.
    Oh and go Caps!

C-A-P-S! CAPS, CAPS, CAPS!!!
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    LETS GO BLUES!!!!!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

I have some grass that is currently growing, if you'd like to give that a watch too!!

lol its obvious you have never watched if you feel that way. the passion and intensity of those games dwarfs anything you see in north america.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    When I think of tough players Jeremy Roenick inevitably comes to mind. In what other sport would a man with a broken thumb sit on the team bench and adjust his shattered jaw and then go out for another shift? GO FLYERS!!!

football :)
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I am a huge hockey fan, and loyal too (I have yet to abandon my Tampa Bay Lightning, despite their woeful last 8 years of playing). I can't ice skate, so I am even more impressed with the agility the hockey players have on ice. In a way, it's the most graceful form of violence I've ever seen. My team is not terribly aggressive, though, so more often than not I watch them get pushed around.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

lol its obvious you have never watched if you feel that way. the passion and intensity of those games dwarfs anything you see in north america.

I have tons of respect for soccer players at athletes and I know that the stadiums and fans are electric ...but for me, as a spectator sport, I find it incredibly boring...incredibly
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    despite their woeful last 8 years of playing

Got you beat. I am a Toronto fan and have had to deal with 40 years of woefulness :)
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    What is this average joes (great TV show). Of course hitting a 95 MPH fastball is hard for someone who has never swung a bat. Only pros can hit speeds that high. That's like me askiing you to score on Henrik Lundqvist (it will never happen).

The fact of the matter is that anyone walking through a park can activley participate in every other major sport in north America. Sure if I play baseball I may strike out every time, but I can play defence, or stand in the batters box, draw a walk and run the bases.

Running, catching, jumping, throwing (all required to participate in baseball, football, soccer) are skills that are learned/developed at the toddler stage of development and allow me to be a part of the action.

If you pass by an arena and are asked to play a game of pick up (having never skated before), at best you will spend the next hour on your back doing snow angels, or grabbing onto the boards for dear life or just standing in 1 spot as people play around you like you were a pylon (and I won't even discuss passing, shooting or stick handling. That's just unfair). You will not be able to participate and if you try to touch the puck, you will fall (balance on a slick surface with skakes that are 1/8 of an inch thick.

I'm a massive sports fan, I watch it all, and appreciate the skill each one requires. It's like comparing apples and oranges though. Not only does hockey require it's own skill set, as does each sport (batting, kicking a soccer ball, using a stick in hockey), but has the additional difficulty of playing on a surface, ice, that without a lot practice, can make the most athletic guy/girl look very uncoordinated/foolish.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Go Kings!

(That is all. I am from LA and recently moved to St Louis so this round should be fun!)
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm a Leafs fan (no jokes please the last 7 years have been tough enough)

Also a Leafs fan, and I am old enough to have seen them win a few Cups!!!!!
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hockey has been and always will be my favorite sport! Growing up in a family that has produced NCAA football/basketball and NBA athletes it was an interesting choice for me :) I am a lifelong Blackhawks fan, and was even when they were horrible (before the entire city backed them as they do now). I was sad to see my guys go in the first round but what can you expect when they play a lethargic series. I always wanted to play, but being a girl and having two parents working full time, the 'odds' were not in my favor. It still is the funnest, most energetic sport to watch.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    To the Man U fan. I follow soccer very closely. I agree with you soccer stadiums with 80 000 screaming fans is amazing. I'm an Inter fan (having a tough year) and Italian background.

Tough loss on Monday, I was rooting for City, Italian coach and player (former Inter guys too). Plus Man U has won too many dometic titles, there needs to be a changing of the guard.

Now back to playoff hockey... What the hell is going on with St Louis. I have money on them to win the cup. The LA Kings are looking untouchable right now. I don't even remember the last time a 8 seed went on a tear like this.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    I'm a Leafs fan (no jokes please the last 7 years have been tough enough)

Also a Leafs fan, and I am old enough to have seen them win a few Cups!!!!!

I am incredibly jealous. The last time the leafs made the playoffs I was 18 and in highschool (27 now). At this rate I could go my entire 20's without seeing the Leafs in playoff hockey (but yet I'm still a die hard fan).