Weight Gain during the week

Options
Hi All,

I have been following a strict diet and exercise plan for over 5 weeks now and have dropped 20 pounds from 265 to 245. Over the last 2 days however i have noticed that my weight has actually been increasing by half a pound a day. As far as my calorie intake and exercise is concerned, i am meeting my targets in both. I weigh in at the same time each morning. Does anyone have any explanations as to why this could be happening?

Thanks in advance for your help

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Daily weighing is not a good idea if you try to find a lot of meaning in those numbers. You could have eaten more salt, or worked out harder or differently, or any other variety of things that would cause you to hold a little water and weigh a little more. It doesn't mean anything; to find any real trends, you have to look at the numbers over a greater range of time.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    It's probably only a fluctuation in water levels. I know it's tempting to weigh yourself everyday, but it is best to only weigh once a week so you don't get discouraged when you see small gains like this. You can retain water for many reasons like high sodium intake the day before, (if you're female) it could be because you're nearing that time of the month, and even if you perform some type of strenuous exercise that leaves you sore the fluids and inflammation around the sore muscles can be enough to add a few pounds to the scale.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Fluid fluctuation - check your sodium intake, drink lots of water, don't weigh daily.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Also to note (this isn't related to your daily fluctuation) but in just 6 more lbs you'll have lost 10% of your initial body weight. Consider recalculating your TDEE and reseting your goals. Your calorie needs may well have dropped a little.
  • klgresser
    klgresser Posts: 3
    Options
    I weighed myself for the first time since I started a week ago, and was stressed because it says I have not lost anything, then I read your posts and think I found the collbrate, Im about to have my period...that would explain it right? I have been eating like I should and excersising
  • valenief
    valenief Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    could be water weight!
  • tb_friend
    tb_friend Posts: 11
    Options
    I recommend taking your measurements also. At times when I dont see a difference ont eh scales I do see them in inches.
  • sidhome
    sidhome Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I did work out extra during the weekend and muscles have been feeling a bit sore - so that could be it...thanks again for all your input
  • jna1957
    jna1957 Posts: 53
    Options
    as you have lost more than 5 pounds i would suggest you recalculate your numbers. I weigh myself daily but only first thing in the morning
  • sidhome
    sidhome Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been recalculating my numbers - every 10 pounds lost - so hopefully my target numbers are pretty accurate