NHL Playoffs

Options
13»

Replies

• Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    [I apologize for the length of this post.. got carried away... ]

Hockey is a great sport. You get to seriously beat up your friends and shake hands when your done. Players start learning how to be tough at a young age. There is no checking at lower levels but my 10 year old knows how far he can push it without taking a penalty. He can use his body to send a kid flying down the ice on his back... He's fast and draws a lot of tripping penalties, hops back up and sprints back to the play.

To play hockey you have to be able to skate. That does not mean just gliding – you have to have good deep edges, inside, outside, backwards and forwards. You need strong legs & core. You have to be able to stop on a dime and change direction in seconds. You need to be fast. You need a powerful stride. You need to do all this while holding a slender stick and finessing a puck, wearing thick padded gloves. You need to be able to keep the puck while not looking at it, quickly determining your next move. Using your body to keep opponents away, checking them into the boards. Trying to fake out the goalie and get a shot off while being challenged by defenders. Hockey players are not completely protected with pads. You have to be tough enough to get slammed with a puck or stick and continue to play.

I don’t play (I do skate) but have experienced the pain of getting hit with the puck (and it was not a rocket shot by an NHL player) it took my breath away. I think I still have a bruise from it. I’ve seen some really tough stuff watching U18 games! Those kids get away with things you don’t in the NHL! The refs just can't catch everything.

I would say: 1) Hockey, 2) Rugby and 3) Football
    And… Go Caps!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    What is this average joes (great TV show). Of course hitting a 95 MPH fastball is hard for someone who has never swung a bat. Only pros can hit speeds that high. That's like me askiing you to score on Henrik Lundqvist (it will never happen).

The fact of the matter is that anyone walking through a park can activley participate in every other major sport in north America. Sure if I play baseball I may strike out every time, but I can play defence, or stand in the batters box, draw a walk and run the bases.

Running, catching, jumping, throwing (all required to participate in baseball, football, soccer) are skills that are learned/developed at the toddler stage of development and allow me to be a part of the action.

If you pass by an arena and are asked to play a game of pick up (having never skated before), at best you will spend the next hour on your back doing snow angels, or grabbing onto the boards for dear life or just standing in 1 spot as people play around you like you were a pylon (and I won't even discuss passing, shooting or stick handling. That's just unfair). You will not be able to participate and if you try to touch the puck, you will fall (balance on a slick surface with skakes that are 1/8 of an inch thick.

I'm a massive sports fan, I watch it all, and appreciate the skill each one requires. It's like comparing apples and oranges though. Not only does hockey require it's own skill set, as does each sport (batting, kicking a soccer ball, using a stick in hockey), but has the additional difficulty of playing on a surface, ice, that without a lot practice, can make the most athletic guy/girl look very uncoordinated/foolish.

i thought we were talking about pro sports thats why i stated 95. so to be clear hitting MLB pitching is the hardest thing to do in sports.

and again i think hockey is probably a good answer for what is most difficult to learn to play overall due to skating.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Hockey is the most demanding sport out there. Those guys take a beating 2-3 nights a week during the season and hardly ever leave a game. A guy gets hit in a baseball game or a cramp in football or a poke in the eye in basketball and he has to go get his mangina rubbed.

I am hoping for a Devils/Rangers matchup next round so that we can see some old-time hockey. That brawl they had a few weeks back was epic.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    it is crazy what the Kings are doing. As a Caps fan i'm used to disappointment but i'm starting to think "why not us?" for this year. so many top seeds are out. and now that i live in Phoenix its interesting to see what the Coyotes are doing. it would be crazy to see them win the Cup then get moved to another city.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    Hockey is the most demanding sport out there. Those guys take a beating 2-3 nights a week during the season and hardly ever leave a game. A guy gets hit in a baseball game or a cramp in football or a poke in the eye in basketball and he has to go get his mangina rubbed.

I am hoping for a Devils/Rangers matchup next round so that we can see some old-time hockey. That brawl they had a few weeks back was epic.

it amazes me that any sports fan can think this. do you really think football players are soft? football is played once a week because of the beating they take during the game. the NFL is the wealthiest league in the world dont you think they'd play more games per week if they could? hell they dont even want to extend it to an 18 game season due to the toll it takes on the body.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    [I apologize for the length of this post.. got carried away... ]

Hockey is a great sport. You get to seriously beat up your friends and shake hands when your done. Players start learning how to be tough at a young age. There is no checking at lower levels but my 10 year old knows how far he can push it without taking a penalty. He can use his body to send a kid flying down the ice on his back... He's fast and draws a lot of tripping penalties, hops back up and sprints back to the play.

To play hockey you have to be able to skate. That does not mean just gliding – you have to have good deep edges, inside, outside, backwards and forwards. You need strong legs & core. You have to be able to stop on a dime and change direction in seconds. You need to be fast. You need a powerful stride. You need to do all this while holding a slender stick and finessing a puck, wearing thick padded gloves. You need to be able to keep the puck while not looking at it, quickly determining your next move. Using your body to keep opponents away, checking them into the boards. Trying to fake out the goalie and get a shot off while being challenged by defenders. Hockey players are not completely protected with pads. You have to be tough enough to get slammed with a puck or stick and continue to play.

I don’t play (I do skate) but have experienced the pain of getting hit with the puck (and it was not a rocket shot by an NHL player) it took my breath away. I think I still have a bruise from it. I’ve seen some really tough stuff watching U18 games! Those kids get away with things you don’t in the NHL! The refs just can't catch everything.

I would say: 1) Hockey, 2) Rugby and 3) Football
    And… Go Caps!

Get carried away... I did a few times. I'm a firm believer that you can't judge a sport unless you have tried playing it. Hockey has the skill/finesse that soccer/basketball has, the raw power, strength and toughness football requires, and is played at speeds that no major sport can compete with. To put into perspective, some NHL players can hit top speeds of almost 50KM/H (over 30 MPH). Donovan Bailey, former world record holder at 9.84 seconds in 100m only hits a top speed of 22.8 MPH.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    The NFL is the second toughest sport out there. But I feel the NHL is by far the most physically demanding sport. You see guys leave all the time gushing blood from a puck to the face and they are back out there 5 minutes later. They get slammed into the baords all night, which I feel is equivalent to being tackled, and yet they play 2-3 games a week. I was being a little sarcastic with the NFL, but baseball and basketball are by far the biggest wimps of the major sports.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I'm a Leafs fan (no jokes please the last 7 years have been tough enough)

Also a Leafs fan, and I am old enough to have seen them win a few Cups!!!!!

I am incredibly jealous. The last time the leafs made the playoffs I was 18 and in highschool (27 now). At this rate I could go my entire 20's without seeing the Leafs in playoff hockey (but yet I'm still a die hard fan).

Right there with you...last time the Flyers took the Cup home was 3 years before I was born...been close a few times since; but no joy in Philly yet :cry:
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Get carried away... I did a few times. I'm a firm believer that you can't judge a sport unless you have tried playing it. Hockey has the skill/finesse that soccer/basketball has, the raw power, strength and toughness football requires, and is played at speeds that no major sport can compete with. To put into perspective, some NHL players can hit top speeds of almost 50KM/H (over 30 MPH). Donovan Bailey, former world record holder at 9.84 seconds in 100m only hits a top speed of 22.8 MPH.

True, I never played just observation.. well, I played one game on D and I sucked! = ) The Stars practice at my home rink once a season and it's amazing to see how fast they are up close! I am so used to watching the little guys.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    despite their woeful last 8 years of playing

Got you beat. I am a Toronto fan and have had to deal with 40 years of woefulness :)

I'd get used to those feelings!!
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Hockey is second only to football in my book - and it's a close second. Like 1 and 1A. Playoff hockey, on the other hand, is by far the best thing to watch. We lived in Raleigh, NC and were season ticket holders for the Hurricanes for a few years - went to almost every home playoff game the year they won the cup. I always say that the only thing better than playoff hockey is overtime playoff hockey.

my god playoff hockey is exciting