Milk: Cow vs. Soy vs. Almond

Options

Replies

• mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use Silk Almond Milk in my cereal and smoothies...taste better, less calories, more calcium and lactose free (those were the reasons I chose it). I stopped drinking Soy Milk because it is known to raise estrogen levels.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I like raw cows milk or almond milk. There seems to be so much controversy with soy so I try to avoid it in any foods. Your best bet would probably be the almond milk if you can't get any raw dairy.
  • heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk, because my body does not agree with it. I stick with unsweetened almond milk and soy milk. Soy milk for my coffee and almond milk for cereal or shakes and smoothies. Personally, I love almond milk but I do think there is a slight aftertaste that I don't like in coffee. Calorie wise unsweetened almond is better, but there is more protein in soy.
  • Feddyvon
    Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just didn't care for the taste of Almond Milk, so I've been using the Vanilly Lite Soy for the last year or so. Love it on my cereal, and like the added protein.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My favorite is chocolate milk, which of course comes from brown cows.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I enjoy all of them.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is a winner. Tastes great and lower calorie than the others. Plus, soy isn't the best for you. So I pick almond!
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The almond milk has more calcium than regular. I have heard some bad things about non organic milk about the processes it goes through and the cows having antibiotics in them and whatnot. A friend of mine is considerig switching to pure raw cow's milk that you can only get from a farm.

Unless you want to do the raw thing I'd do almond.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I buy 2% for the little kids, and Almond milk for myself and my oldest son. We are both lactose intolerant, and he is also allergic to soy. Plus it taste great! The little kids love the sweetened vanilla almond milk too.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I drink Almond milk as a lower calorie alternative to regular milk. I have hypothyroidism and soy interferes with that condition and my medication.
  • debzeeU2
    debzeeU2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I tried Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk-- not a big fan. The taste is okay, it was the texture that I couldn't get past.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm intolerant to soy, so it upsets my stomach.

I drink some milk, I just can't get used to anything else in coffee or on cereal despite my efforts, but ever since I nursed my son I can't get passed drinking other animals milk. It's probably because I had to stop drinking it because he was intolerant. Then I read an article talking about organic vs non-organic milk and infection and I don't even want to go there because I know the infections I got from nursing so . . . yeah.

So, I limit the moo-cow stuff to coffee and cereal and some cheese, and I use almond for everything else.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have intolerance to lactose and dairy and allergic to soya so I usually have rice milk with added calcium. However our local supermarket has just started stocking both almond and hazelnut milk so going to give them a try. I dont tend to drink milk but do have it in my rice porridge in the morning. Knowing that it has more calcium is a major bonus as I have to keep an eye on my intake.
  • ChaoticMum
    ChaoticMum Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    For all the almond milk drinkers, make your own....much cheaper if you buy the almonds on sale. And fresh
    , I prefer almond milk. Won't touch soy because of the GMO aspect, and am lactose intolerant. Plus I am vitamin b12 deficient so it helps me out just a bit more there.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I recently started drinking soy milk very vanilla. I dont like milk. Allergic to nuts. but I like it with my cereal in the AM. Little sweeter, but I need the protien because I dont eat much meat, I dont eat eggs, and I am allergic to nuts. Tastes like a milk shake. LOL
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I can't get over how many people say almond milk is "delicious". I'll use it in a protein shake but there's no way I could drink it straight cuz I think it tastes nasty. OTOH, I've only ever had the Blue Diamond vanilla almond millk, the kind that doesn't have to be refrgerated until opened. Am I missing something?
    I don't like almond milk at all. I bought a carton of vanilla and ended up dumping it down the drain. It's nasty. I do LOVE Silk light choc milk. It tastes just like reg. choc milk to me. I havent tried plain soymilk.
  • happinessforevercm
    Options
    I buy both my husband loves almond milk and I love cows milk... I still buy cows milk but I buy the skim...Here we have a brand called Skim Royale It has extra nutrients and stuff in it to make it better. I hardly see a difference from drinking 2% milk
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is gross and has a nasty aftertaste. I think so anyway! Vanilla is what I tried.
    Chocolate soy milk (Silk light choc) is awesome!
    Regular milk, yes, I am talking about cow bewbie milk is OK to drink! I just drink/cook with skim to reduce the fat content.

For everyone who says cow's milk is unnatural for us to drink,,I respect your opinions but (the big but lol), how are crushed, pulverized and processed beans or nuts turned into liquid natural?

I say drink what you like best. :)
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    All of the milks. (Well, except soy, don't like.)

Also, did you folks hear about all the raw milk controversies going on? I wondered how skewed (in either direction) the media is making this. Apparently it's easier to get pot these days than raw milk.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk should be taken out of our diet completely, our bodies were not ever meant to have it!

I pretty much guarantee you that our bodies were never meant to have the majority of items you can find in the central aisles of any supermarket.