abs question for ladies over 40 and with children...

Options
I am working on getting back into shape and I just wanted to know how many of you who are over 40 and have had children have a 6 pack? I see people on here with pics and I wonder is it possible for me to even get there? I have never had a six pack but always had a fairly flat tummy until children. So can someone weigh in on this? If this is possible and you have a six pack, what is your ab routine?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Not me. :(
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have had 4 children and I will be 41 soon. I don't have a 6 pack, but I do have a flat stomach. I do cardio, sit-ups and work with weights. Some people say sit-ups are not the answer, but I still do them 5 times per week.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have had 4 children and I will be 41 soon. I don't have a 6 pack, but I do have a flat stomach. I do cardio, sit-ups and work with weights. Some people say sit-ups are not the answer, but I still do them 5 times per week.

This is what I have found that I can only get back to a flat stomach. I dont want to be chasing the Holy Grail. I have a ways to go to get back to my flat tummy but I will get there. Thanks ladies.
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's possible, I love using the ball otherwise it's boring. Yoga is also great.
  • str8bowbabe
    Options
    It's possible, I love using the ball otherwise it's boring. Yoga is also great.

So Kimberly you have had children and are among the distinguished over 40 crowd? I want to get there but I just dont want to be killing myself doing ab workouts to only realize that it isnt even possible.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am not 40. I am 32 with 2 kids, and I am starting to have a 4 pack. My workouts are intervals of full body exercises and plyometrics with weights. Sometimes there's v-sit, plank and other abs exercises, but I don't focus on it much. When I was younger per kids, I would keep doing crunches to try to get a nice belly. But my belly now actually looks nice than it did before kids. The only thing, though, is that the belly skin is looser and do hang when I am bent over.
  • str8bowbabe
    Options
    I am not 40. I am 32 with 2 kids, and I am starting to have a 4 pack. My workouts are intervals of full body exercises and plyometrics with weights. Sometimes there's v-sit, plank and other abs exercises, but I don't focus on it much. When I was younger per kids, I would keep doing crunches to try to get a nice belly. But my belly now actually looks nice than it did before kids. The only thing, though, is that the belly skin is looser and do hang when I am bent over.

This is the problem I have had since having children. And unfortunately I have 10 years on you so that could make a difference too. LOL But I just wanted to know if there was even a possibility. I will be happy with my flat tummy again. I am working on them. I can already see a difference but still have to lose some weigh to get the look I want. Thanks everyone for the input.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've seen pictures of lots of older ladies with fabulous abs here. I'd assume that at least some of them have children. It is in all likelihood, possible for most people, but might require an incredible amount of work.

I'm 41 with a 2 year old, and always had flat abs before her. Personally, I'd be happy with my flat abs, but once I get there, I might decide to push it a little and see where we go. I'm not really sure I have it in me to get to a low enough BF% that what ab muscles are there will show.
  • str8bowbabe
    Options
    I've seen pictures of lots of older ladies with fabulous abs here. I'd assume that at least some of them have children. It is in all likelihood, possible for most people, but might require an incredible amount of work.

I'm 41 with a 2 year old, and always had flat abs before her. Personally, I'd be happy with my flat abs, but once I get there, I might decide to push it a little and see where we go. I'm not really sure I have it in me to get to a low enough BF% that what ab muscles are there will show.

this is exactly my point...I see all these pics with 6 packs and I want to know if these women of my age have had kids and now have 6 packs.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    44 and 4 kids. I have a decent tummy; no complaints, but no 6 pack YET. It's coming. I can see faint lines of it when I stand in a certain way, ha. It is my goal for 2012.

However, there is no "ab routine" that will get you a 6 pack. Truly the secrets to a 6 pack are eating right, and lifting HEAVY squats and deadlifts.
  • str8bowbabe
    Options
    Thank you then I am on the right track because I do all that you mentioned. This is the answer I have been wanting to know. Thanks again.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I'm over 40 with kids, have a flat stomach and a 4-pack. My lower abs will never turn into the coveted 6-pack. The muscles there are destroyed (had kids way too young) and there's too much loose skin. Everyone is different so you might be able while others, like me, are unable.

Don't use that as an excuse not to work your abs. Having a strong core is essential in eveything we do.
  • Texmom_2003
    Texmom_2003 Posts: 79
    Options
    wow.. this is is a good information..as I am 33 years with 2 kids. But I do not know what are the right exercises to shrink abs , can anyone suggest. I also want to know if anyone with 2 c-sections can have flat tummy, though not 6 pk or 4 pk?
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    wow.. this is is a good information..as I am 33 years with 2 kids. But I do not know what are the right exercises to shrink abs , can anyone suggest. I also want to know if anyone with 2 c-sections can have flat tummy, though not 6 pk or 4 pk?

I've had 3 c-sections. For "shrinking" or getting rid of fat, you need some cardio. For building muscle -- and that's the way you get a 6 pack, it's heavy lifting. check out Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROL4W), Stronglifts, or Wendler's.

OOPS-- don't forget to eat properly :)
  • str8bowbabe
    Options
    I'm over 40 with kids, have a flat stomach and a 4-pack. My lower abs will never turn into the coveted 6-pack. The muscles there are destroyed (had kids way too young) and there's too much loose skin. Everyone is different so you might be able while others, like me, are unable.

Don't use that as an excuse not to work your abs. Having a strong core is essential in eveything we do.

I have always worked my core. I just wanted to know if I was chasing something that isnt possible. I will be very happy with a flat tummy and I am getting there.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm not 40 yet, but I'm getting there. I'm also getting there with my abs! The horribly honest truth about abs is that in order to see the definition, you need to get your body fat down in order to reveal what's underneath. I'm at about 22% body fat, and there is hope. I've also have two children by c-section.
  • Thomakk
    Thomakk Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am 41 with 3 kids and am having a very difficult time with my lower abs. I've been working hard on cardio for 3 months now and have a lot of muscle under the flab, but the flab isn't going anywhere.

Before kids, I always had a nice flat belly....but no more : (

I would love to hear from those over 40 that had the flab and got rid of it. How?
  • str8bowbabe
    Options
    I am 41 with 3 kids and am having a very difficult time with my lower abs. I've been working hard on cardio for 3 months now and have a lot of muscle under the flab, but the flab isn't going anywhere.

Before kids, I always had a nice flat belly....but no more : (

I would love to hear from those over 40 that had the flab and got rid of it. How?

So its not just me wondering this...LOL
  • TarheelMom44
    Options
    I;m 52 with a 19 & 22 year old. The tummy is my main source of irritation. I think though by watching what you eat & absolutely NOT eating too late at night then going to bed will definitely help.
    I am doing stretches now in the morning for about 30 mins so it all will help.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I;m 52 with a 19 & 22 year old. The tummy is my main source of irritation. I think though by watching what you eat & absolutely NOT eating too late at night then going to bed will definitely help.
    I am doing stretches now in the morning for about 30 mins so it all will help.

the thought that you must stop eating by a certain time has been debunked many times over. Unless something is going to cause your stomach distress and/or upset your sleep (caffeine, etc), there is no reason not to eat before bed. (it doesn't cause nightmares, either).