Cinco de Mayo

Options

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE Mexican cuisine. as you know, Cinco de Mayo is this Saturday, and I want to go eat at our local Mexican restaurant. (amazing food!!!)

Does anyone have tips on how to do it healthy, or know what some of the healthier Mexican foods are?

Usually I go for a big burrito or tacos with beef. Not this time. I've worked too hard these past few weeks, and I'm not going to let it go for another weekend of bad eating.

We have an invite over to a friend's house. She's a really good cook, and she plans on going all-out. Frankly, so do I.

We're going in the afternoon. I'm going to have a light breakfast and get on my bicycle and see if I can ride 50 miles to buy myself a few thousand calories. Then I plan on another 50-miler for the next day. I'm saving a few calories over the next few days in preparation. I'll up my water all day Saturday and Sunday for the sodium I just know I'm going to partake in.

Then I'm going to be as reasonable as I can, try to choose filling things, water down my margaritas with lots of ice, focus on chatting rather than snacking, savor every bite, etc...

But I'm also going to enjoy a well-earned and well-planned good time.
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Don't miss out on the thousands of suggestions already given in past threads!

Using the Search function will open up a whole world of suggestions. It's like a fairy godmother.

usually do but was lazy this time.

meh.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE Mexican cuisine. as you know, Cinco de Mayo is this Saturday, and I want to go eat at our local Mexican restaurant. (amazing food!!!)

Does anyone have tips on how to do it healthy, or know what some of the healthier Mexican foods are?

Usually I go for a big burrito or tacos with beef. Not this time. I've worked too hard these past few weeks, and I'm not going to let it go for another weekend of bad eating.

We have an invite over to a friend's house. She's a really good cook, and she plans on going all-out. Frankly, so do I.

We're going in the afternoon. I'm going to have a light breakfast and get on my bicycle and see if I can ride 50 miles to buy myself a few thousand calories. Then I plan on another 50-miler for the next day. I'm saving a few calories over the next few days in preparation. I'll up my water all day Saturday and Sunday for the sodium I just know I'm going to partake in.

Then I'm going to be as reasonable as I can, try to choose filling things, water down my margaritas with lots of ice, focus on chatting rather than snacking, savor every bite, etc...

good call!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Don't miss out on the thousands of suggestions already given in past threads!

Using the Search function will open up a whole world of suggestions. It's like a fairy godmother.

You know, I have found that unless a thread is two or three weeks old, you can't even find it in the search function... which is why the search function sucks! Why is there always someone that says "don't start a new thread, use the search function". Threads is what keeps the site in business here. Content is what keeps us coming back.
  • Lisuuhhh
    Lisuuhhh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Chicken tortilla soup is so SO good and much better for you than most things on the menu. Or some restaurants serve chicken mexican salads with corn and black beans, pico de gallo.. those can be fairly low cal too.

If I might make a suggestion-- I would order to go so you're not tempted to order everything! You could go to the grocery store and buy the Jose Cuervo skinny margaritas.. they are so good and low cal!

Hope this helps for ideas :)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i find that plain tacos aren't that bad, just shell, beef and tiny bit of cheese no sour cream. On the border restaurant has a nutrition menu that can give you a run down of calorie content in the items (or don pablos.. one of them.)
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Since I'm married to a Mexican I get the real Mexican food!! Soo delicious!! But I know fajitas isn't that bad for yea I think ne ways.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    You know, I have found that unless a thread is two or three weeks old, you can't even find it in the search function... which is why the search function sucks!
    Weird. Searching for "mexican food" brings up over 50 pages of past comments.
    Why is there always someone that says "don't start a new thread, use the search function". Threads is what keeps the site in business here. Content is what keeps us coming back.
    Weird. I must have missed that. Maybe my browser is acting up. I can't see any "don't start a new thread" comments. That would be against the community guidelines. I, however, suggested not missing out on the wealth of suggestions already out there.

And, :flowerforyou:.
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    Options
    If it was me, I would enjoy whatever I wanted. One day isn't going to kill you, especially if you workout that day. My wife and I painted our house last week and for four days we didn't eat very well. However, I got up and worked out beforehand, and hopped back on the better-food wagon immediately after we were done painting. I stepped on the scale this morning and had lost 2.5lbs. Now, I may have more to lose than you and being a guy it seems to be a bit easier, but one day is not going to set you back that much. My point: enjoy your day! If this is a holiday/type of food you love, just eat portions of what you love and don't worry about the calories for the day. Regardless, hope you have a great cinco de mayo!

this has been my mind set for a few months now and gotten me nowhere. :) it's crunch time now though, pool opens on memorial day! heehee
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Don't forget that Mexican cuisine includes some killer seafood. Ceviche's a great dish, and there are a lot of great shrimp dishes, like "camarones a la diabla" -- shrimp simmered in a spicy chile sauce.
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    Options

rockstar :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    You know, I have found that unless a thread is two or three weeks old, you can't even find it in the search function... which is why the search function sucks!
    Weird. Searching for "mexican food" brings up over 50 pages of past comments.
    Why is there always someone that says "don't start a new thread, use the search function". Threads is what keeps the site in business here. Content is what keeps us coming back.
    Weird. I must have missed that. Maybe my browser is acting up. I can't see any "don't start a new thread" comments. That would be against the community guidelines. I, however, suggested not missing out on the wealth of suggestions already out there.

And, :flowerforyou:.

Just like you get tired of the same old topics, I get tired of hearing about the search function. It wouldn't have occurred to me to look up healthy Mexican food except that someone started this thread and brought it up. Just because the discussion has been had before doesn't mean that the discussion is not worth having.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Don't forget that Mexican cuisine includes some killer seafood. Ceviche's a great dish, and there are a lot of great shrimp dishes, like "camarones a la diabla" -- shrimp simmered in a spicy chile sauce.

Mmmm that sounds good! I'll have to look for it on the menu.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Just like you get tired of the same old topics, I get tired of hearing about the search function. It wouldn't have occurred to me to look up healthy Mexican food except that someone started this thread and brought it up. Just because the discussion has been had before doesn't mean that the discussion is not worth having.
    Again, nobody suggested such a thing. I simply offered a friendly tip to not miss out on the wealth of info that has been shared in the past.

Sheesh. You're derailing the topic. Please stop.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My very fit wife, swears by chicken fajitas and limits her toppings to onions, veggies, etc...
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would enjoy whatever I wanted. One day isn't going to kill you, especially if you workout that day. My wife and I painted our house last week and for four days we didn't eat very well. However, I got up and worked out beforehand, and hopped back on the better-food wagon immediately after we were done painting. I stepped on the scale this morning and had lost 2.5lbs. Now, I may have more to lose than you and being a guy it seems to be a bit easier, but one day is not going to set you back that much. My point: enjoy your day! If this is a holiday/type of food you love, just eat portions of what you love and don't worry about the calories for the day. Regardless, hope you have a great cinco de mayo!

this has been my mind set for a few months now and gotten me nowhere. :) it's crunch time now though, pool opens on memorial day! heehee

I guess I keep thinking pool season is still months away :/ guess it's closer than I think!
  • allysonb80
    allysonb80 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My favorite Mexican food restaurant (http://www.topshelfmexicanfood.com/ for those of you in the Phoenix area) offers a Lite and Healthy menu that is awesome. Try searching the Mexican restauants near you to see thier menus and if they offer a Lite menu.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I L O V E Mexican food...I'm a Texan...it's expected! I was raised on chips & salsa, fajitas, pico de gallo, etc!!
    I count out my 10 chips and put them on my app plate & eat just those!! Then I PILE my fajitas with veggies & a reasonable portion of grilled chicken or steak!!
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Living in San Antonio, I eat Mexican food at least 2-3 times a week! Fajitas, especially chicken, sauteed veggies, black beans or borracho (They're a little higher in fat and calories but I like them better) corn tortillas. Even guacamole in reasonable serving size (2-3 ounces). Stay away from the fried crunchy tacos, and remember the flour tortillas have about twice the calories of the corn. Chips are fried, so limit how much you have. Salsa and pico de gallo and all the spicy stuff is great as it helps to increase your metabolism for a short while and is low in calories. Avoid the high fat stuff in large quantities like cheese, queso, sour cream. As was mentioned earlier, a lot of mexican restaurants serve fish and shrimp prepared in low fat ways. Fish tacos on corn tortillas with a cabbage slaw and a little chipotle sauce can be a great choice. Even if my restaurant isn't in the database, I look up similar items that are to estimate how many calories are in them. I've also started going with a great spicy Bloody Mary sometimes for about 1/2 to 1/3 the calories of a margarita! If I know I'm going out, I plan by saving calories, but can't always do that. Nice meal for about 450 calories is a taco salad without the bowl, lettuce, borracho or black beans, chicken fajita, pico de gallo, and just a little cheese. Then I add chopped onions, cilantro, and jalapenos. Yummy and doesn't break the bank. If I am eating take out, I get baked chips to go with it! Lots of options if you try new things!