Foods that trigger migraines?

Options

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Common triggers include red wine and chocolate. :grumble:

I cut out all artificial sweeteners - including HFCS - so my soda comsumption plummeted, which helped both with migraines and weight. :happy:

Some people are triggered by fluorescent lights; if that is a factor for you, changing the lighting in your work area should be considered a "reasonable accommodation".

My headache diary showed TOM to be a trigger, so my physician put me on continuous OC's.

Good luck!!

Mine is always worse during TOM also, so I guess I'm wondering if it may be a food combined with my hormones. What are OC's?

Oral Contraceptives; I take the same dose every day (no Tricyclen, no withdrawal week).
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I started taking B-12 regularly and my every month, twice a month migraines stopped. I only recently got one about 3 weeks ago for the first time since November, because I hadn't been taking my supplements... didn't make that mistake again.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I get them from sodium spikes. Also, I figured out that the pickled ginger served with sushi was a source for me. I was tested for allergies a few years back and didn't get serious about primarily avoiding the foods I'm allergic to until 2.5 years ago, since then I've only had 1 or 2. If you've never been tested for food allergies I suggest you give it a shot.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I get at least two migraines a week :( these days they are most weather related but I have cut out:

Anything with Aspartane
    Sharp cheeses
    Most alcohol (I'm ok with vodka though)

I try and be careful with

becoming dehydrated
    not getting enough protein
    and not eating at regular intervals
    Going out when its super hot outside (this summer I'll for sure be loving up to the wii)
    and Bright lights for flicking lights
    Plus no 3-d movies for me
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Mine are triggered by MSG (monosodium glutamate), commonly found in Chinese foods, sauces, flavored chips, and some prepared frozen foods. It also causes GI disturbances. Glad I figured that one out!
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

I cut out all artificial sweeteners - including HFCS - so my soda comsumption plummeted, which helped both with migraines and weight. :happy:

Some people are triggered by fluorescent lights; if that is a factor for you, changing the lighting in your work area should be considered a "reasonable accommodation".

My headache diary showed TOM to be a trigger, so my physician put me on continuous OC's.

Good luck!!

Mine is always worse during TOM also, so I guess I'm wondering if it may be a food combined with my hormones. What are OC's?

Oral Contraceptives; I take the same dose every day (no Tricyclen, no withdrawal week).

Ah, thanks. :) I'm on some also, but maybe it is having the opposite effect?
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    Aspartame; and its in almost everything 'light' 'diet' or 'sugar free'

One Diet coke or light yoplait and I'm out for the rest of the day. Another trigger for me is TOM and dehydration. I can use splenda or stevia though, which has helped cut calories.
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. That gives me a good list to take a look at. I know the triggers are different for everyone, but it's a good way to get a start at looking at it. Mine are also caused by barometric pressure changes (big storm rolling in, etc) but I'm a strong believer in changing diet to counteract these things (same with hormones and stuff) so I'm interested in at least trying it.

Thanks! :smile:
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    My husband laughs at me because every time I get a migraine I go back and try to retrace what I've eaten, done, etc. that may have caused them. To be honest, even when I feel that a certain item may have done it, it doesn't necessarily happen the next time I eat that item. I even had one situation where a car driving buy (believe it was the glare of sunlight on it) caused one of my migraines. I honestly don't know that there is a sure fire way to determine what things cause them. I do get what I call mini-migraines during my cycle each month. I call them mini because they are migraines, but I can actually function for the most part. Those I know are TOM triggered, but normal full-blown migraines are so random for me I could never tell what exactly triggered them.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Good luck!!

Ah, thanks. :) I'm on some also, but maybe it is having the opposite effect?

In recent years it has actually been suggested that women on contraceptives who also get migraines be careful as they can increase migraines for some people. I think it's the higher estrogen ones that are most common for this and that women often, not always, should be on ones that use progesterone, but I don't remember for sure. Different women react differently, in terms of migraines, with different levels. The last two doctors I have been to have asked me about hormone contraceptive since I get migraines, but since I avoid such contraceptives it's been a while since I've heard the reason for avoiding them explained. You might want to ask about that because yes, if you get menstrual migraines it obviously has something to do with your hormones, at least those particular ones do anyway. Other times of the month could be something else.

Also - you could try reading The Migraine Brain for more information about triggers, especially less well known ones.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I used to get them very badly, to the point where I was vomitting....I got put on Imitrex and that helped. I do not like depending on drugs sooo I did everything in my power to get rid of them without meds AND I have not had one for almost a year. I did a few things:

*stopped drinking artificially sweetened drinks (no more diet drinks)
    *Got my eyes checked (I needed glasses)
    *Got my sugar checked (Borderline diabetic)
    *Eat frequent meals with a good balance of carbs and proteins
    *Added Vitamin D, B-Complex, Calcium w/ Magnesium and Zinc and Iron
    *Switched my birth control
    *Make sure I sleep at least 7 hours a night
    *AND water water water...can't tell you how many times they were due to dehydration.

Seems like a lot but these were all triggers for me :)
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    almonds, which I never knew triggered them! I have been migraine free for a few months now until last Friday. The only thing I can pinpoint is the almonds I had. I had almond milk that morning and dry roasted almonds as a late morning snack. It started right after that ):
    Mine are the same way...12-15hr of vomiting and not getting out of bed.
  • Samst19429
    Samst19429 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    definately too much salt, not enough water, and even lack of eating. I get them almost twice a month also and sometimes it results in me vomiting and i know its from me having too much salt an not eating enough
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

Good luck!!

I cant take OC's, but my doc put me on a beta bloker and that has been my life saver
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    I've pushed through work with a full-bore migraine. It's not impossible. Sometimes you don't have a choice. Once I sat at my desk crying like a baby and throwing up in my trash can as opposed to trying to remain stoic. Even then my boss was a total jerk about letting me leave. Ugh.

That said, anything estrogen-elevating (fermented stuff, mostly) triggers mine. My OCs were the leading cause. Migraines went MOSTLY away after switching... then, oh, weird, migraines again. Doctor suggested I start a food journal. Turns out right about the time they started again, I'd switched to soy milk to combat some GI issues that were actually unrelated. Strong cheeses, most alcohols, etc, all give me what I call "mini migraines", too, lol. Worse than a headache, but I can still take care of what has to be done.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Oh, someone's post just reminded me - a lot of people who get migraines have been found to be deficient in magnesium. Some of those people can increase it through food or a supplement and have their migraines completely go away. Others might be deficient and increase it but will still get migraines. So that's something to consider. It hasn't gotten rid of mine to increase it but sometimes if I'm getting one I can take some Natural Calm magnesium and it will curb it.
  • Love2HikeMT
    Love2HikeMT Posts: 42
    Options
    I used to suffer from severe, incapacitating migraines and ended up going to the Cleveland Clinic for evaluation. I was told to avoid the following foods: alcohol (wine, beer, etc.), chocolate, peanuts, MSG, citrus (especially grapefruit), carbonated beverages. I know there were some others, but can't recall. I was also told to avoid being out in bright sunlight without wearing good, dark sunglasses. Some scents would also trigger a migraine, such as being around someone who wears perfume and smokers.

The funny thing is that I suffered from migraines while living in south Florida (low altitude). Since I moved to the mountains of Montana I've never had another migraine. Higher altitude? Blood is thinner at higher altitudes... And, now I can enjoy a glass of red wine without difficulty.

There are many different causes of migraines. I would suggest you see a professional with expertise in migraines and undergo a thorough evaluation. I had a complete workup at the Cleveland Clinic - MRI with contrast, blood work, etc.
  • cath129
    cath129 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Everyone's triggers are different. Weather and humidity are big triggers for me. Also, my neurologist said there is strong correlation between weight and migraines.
  • duhblond
    duhblond Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    Caffeine, imitation sugar, and alcohol are triggers for me....
    Neurologist told me to cut them out of my diet completely or have the same amount each day.
    I choose to cut them out, but if I'm going to indulge... I massively consume water before during and after lol
    Sure not as sexy to have a water bottle with my wine :P but it has made the frequency of the migraines go down substantially.
    Hope that helps.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Another vote for blue cheese...I can have very little (yep I'm dumb enough to try) or I end up with a migraine the next day.

Also alcohol if more than half a serving...which I can do without.

And other random aged or marinated foods...like greek or Spanish olives. Though calamata olives haven't done it.

Lack of caffeine did it too, until my dr explained that the amount I drink (1 coffee, 1 soda) per day really is less harmful and way cheaper than loading up on excedrin and immitrex. :)