Pub tonight for dinner, help!

Options
Has anyone got any ideas of low calorie pub food? I've got 500 cals left today and don't have a clue what I can eat for that!

Replies

• njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Has anyone got any ideas of low calorie pub food? I've got 500 cals left today and don't have a clue what I can eat for that!

a small steak with steamed veggies, chicken and veg, either of those proteins with salad. Maybe even a quesidilla...so long as they don't fry everything is oil before they throw it in the oven! Good luck!
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Just drink 6 shots on an empty stomach right away and pass out for the night before you have the chance to eat anything.
  • h3xx1
    h3xx1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem last week and wussed out with a side order of fries as my main and a beer for desert :D

Anything chicken breast based should be low in kcals - look out for heavy sauces though!

Adam
  • blmr85
    blmr85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good Idea Sirben!!
  • bergsangel
    bergsangel Posts: 131
    Options
    Just drink 6 shots on an empty stomach right away and pass out for the night before you have the chance to eat anything.

This^ lol
    Check out the menu online and plan in advance. 500 calories is a decent amount IF you don't plan to drink.
  • heidihurl
    heidihurl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    OMG I am laughing so hard right now.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Baked, broiled, or grilled meat (preferably chicken breast or fish), salad with veggies only (no croutons, cheese) and the lowest calorie dressing available (the less the better), small baked potato with salsa (no butter or sour cream).
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options

I concur
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Soups usually work as long as you stay away from the creamy ones. There should be a salad option too.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    The thing to remember when eating out is if you don't see it on the menu, ask them to prepare something to your liking. Most pubs and restaurants won't list "simple" or "clean" food because everyone wants something that tastes good. Which usually involves butter, oil, cheese, etc. Just ask them to grill you some chicken, a plain baked potato and a side of veggies if you are worried about calories.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    If you do go slightly over you can always recoup the calories through exercise tomorrow!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I guess the real question is do you drink enough to puke? If so, you can eat whatever you want :bigsmile:
    In all seriousness, eat what you want. You can make up for it tomorrow with better choices. It's a lifestyle change not a diet.
  • Shirvona
    Shirvona Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Depending on their menu at this pub, the only thing I can suggest is to stay away from the bad carbs. So if you want a burger with side salad then order it with no bun, avoid anything with breading on it or a lot of dairy in it. If they do off the menu orders maybe ask if they can steam some veggies or a veggie plate with a side of dressing. But all of this depends on weather or not you are planning on drinking a lot or a little, that plays a factor into how bad you can choose to be.
  • MDyck1979
    MDyck1979 Posts: 21
    Options
    Broiled chicken breast, dble side of steamed veg, low cal dressing for dip so you don't feel like you are TOTALLY depriving yourself - add to that a nice pint of LIGHT draft and that should be approx. 500cals. Feel free to order whatever most closely approximates this and ask them to hold all the gooey sauces and fried sides.

As for "just drinking till you pass out" advice from good-time party-boy poster - yeah, we all know how that works out - by the time you hit beer/shot #4, you've already agreed to go in on a platter of nachos and wings - drink one more (in for a penny, in for a pound) before toddling off and spend the rest of the week hauling *kitten* to break even.
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Baked, broiled, or grilled meat (preferably chicken breast or fish), salad with veggies only (no croutons, cheese) and the lowest calorie dressing available (the less the better), small baked potato with salsa (no butter or sour cream).

If they don't have a fat free dressing ask for a lemon...squeeze that on your salad with a dash of salt and some pepper...great emergency low (very) cal dressing
  • MDyck1979
    MDyck1979 Posts: 21
    Options
    Really? Didn't know that there were that many dullards on MFP...
  • shrinkbacktome
    Options
    Haha! 6 shots! It's wednesday! might try at the weekend ;) Thanks for all the ideas guys!
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    Great suggestions, salad with light dressing, broiled chicken with steamed veggies...There are several good low cal beers out now if you decide to indulge in a cpl of drinks. Take a walk before you go if you have time, or grab a few min of jumping jacks..whatever you can squeeze in would help with your calorie intake. If you end up going a little over, don't sweat it, you have some breathing room now and then!
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    Depending on their menu at this pub, the only thing I can suggest is to stay away from the bad carbs. So if you want a burger with side salad then order it with no bun, avoid anything with breading on it or a lot of dairy in it. If they do off the menu orders maybe ask if they can steam some veggies or a veggie plate with a side of dressing. But all of this depends on weather or not you are planning on drinking a lot or a little, that plays a factor into how bad you can choose to be.

Burger without the bun! My husband and I order this quite often when we go out! It's good and you leave behind the feeling of being overly stuffed and bloated!
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Stay away from ranch dressing :) I like deep fried pickles... which aren't super high in calories compared to other deep fried foods. But it's the ranch dip that kills me every time :p

And I drink water with lots of lemon.. makes me feel like I'm drinking lemonade instead of just plain water :D

Good luck!!