Frist week results

Considering the fact I went way over on calories 4 of the 7 days.. (and I didnt really do any 'real' exercise) i'm pretty happy with the fact I have lost 3lbs!

Hopefully with menu planning this week and actually going out for walks (my 8 year old is begging me to take her for a walk on the bike trail.. she's good motivation!!! hehe)(and have a walk already planned for today and 1 for monday evening) I will do even better next week! I can't wait!

Also- how do I know what pace to be walking at and how many calories that pace burns? Should I use my podometer to figure it out? Any suggestions? (one persons "fast" walking- is another persons "super fast" walking)

Replies

• mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Considering the fact I went way over on calories 4 of the 7 days.. (and I didnt really do any 'real' exercise) i'm pretty happy with the fact I have lost 3lbs!

Hopefully with menu planning this week and actually going out for walks (my 8 year old is begging me to take her for a walk on the bike trail.. she's good motivation!!! hehe)(and have a walk already planned for today and 1 for monday evening) I will do even better next week! I can't wait!

Also- how do I know what pace to be walking at and how many calories that pace burns? Should I use my podometer to figure it out? Any suggestions? (one persons "fast" walking- is another persons "super fast" walking)
  • If you already have a walk planned you can figure out the mileage with a map or online... then see how long it takes you to walk that mileage... when you enter your walk in the system it will ask you how many miles per hour you walked... If you really want the most accurate results you could get a heart rate monitor... they will tell you how many calories you burned and help you to stay within 85%of MHR... Good luck
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    I'd get a heartrate monitor like dragonscapes suggested. They really do work better then those "guesstimation" charts. Your height/weight and fitness level make a huge difference. I had a friend at the gym who was about 100 lbs more than I was, and when we'd be side-by-side on the elyptical she'd burn about 200 calores more than me going the same rate and length of time. So that's a huge descrepency! Also, the HRM is motivating as it encourages you to work harder. If you're getting tired, but look at the monitor and it says you burned 570 calories-hey, why not give a little more effort and make it an even 600??
    Great investment, doesn't have to be super expensive, and is worth every penny!

Good luck!