Anyone in college who can relate?

Options
OK, I'm normally pretty good about what I eat throughout the week, but weekends make me really plan and think. I like to go out and, yes, drink... Which is enough calories in and of itself, but the hangovers cause me to completely fall off the wagon some days!! Plus drunk food, I don't normally get it, but I went to visit friends at a different school on Saturday and seriously binged on pizza/cheesy bread when we got back from our night out... THen the lack of sleep from a crazy weekend/school causes me to become apathetic about working out and eating.

Long story short, today I was going to go to swim club practice and yoga, and maybe even for a run... Instead I stayed home, napped, watched One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl with my roommates while baking brownies with them.

Rough monday as far as being healthy goes. UGH I'm so frustrated with myself for making poor decisions. 2100cals today :( with zero exercise :(

In need of some motivation.

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    College life is definitely hard to get the pounds off. I gained 20 - 30 lbs while in college. The bad dining hall, always wanting to eat out on the weekends or order Chinese, the drinking during senior year. I get it. Which is why now I am a graduate and taking a year off, I am really trying to get my butt in gear.

It's especially hard when everyone around you is watching movies and eating brownies ;). Because the instant satisfaction usually seems better than the consequences or the ability to go exercise. If you keep your mind to it though, you can come out on top. :flowerforyou:
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a challenge when everyone else doesn't share your same goals. I completely understand how drinking :drinker: derails your whole weekend too, but you have to stay focused. Have you ever been at a point where it seems like you can say no to anything that you would of otherwise devoured in minutes? That is probably the point where you were most disciplined. That's actually the point I'm trying to get too now. I have gained almost 8 lbs back, and I am sooooo sad about it :sad: , but I am back in the swing of things and so can you. Start by making mini goals, and do whatever you need to do so that you can actually keep them. For instance you want to start counting calories again, but do you have all the groceries to keep you enjoying your meals?

I think you know what you need to do to fit your own personal situation so just sit down and think about it, then do it.

As a fellow college students I know you can do it. good luck.
  • pinkissheek
    Options
    I'm in college and the best thing I have found is to tell EVERYONE that your trying to lose weight...then they can help you keep on the right path...at least mine do!:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I'm in college and the best thing I have found is to tell EVERYONE that your trying to lose weight...then they can help you keep on the right path...at least mine do!:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:

That's a very good idea too! Or you can ask your roommates to keep you in check and maybe get a dry erase board or poster board to graph your progress. If it's more visual to you, it will keep reminding you. If it's visual to other people, you will be very likely to keep at it to keep from looking like you're not doing it. Maybe chart your exercise or chart if you've met your goals for each day. Something public and what works for you. :smile:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You could always do what I did: drink excessively until it becomes prohibitively expensive to get drunk at bars/parties. Then when you go out, just get one or two drinks you really enjoy, because you know you flat out can't afford to get drunk anymore.

How's that for advice :laugh:

Seriously though, I still go out to the bar at least once to twice a week, and while I'm there I tend to get one or two drinks (usually either very expensive beer, brandy alexanders, or grasshoppers). Basically I just work out a LOT, eat well the rest of the time, and I'm still losing. The drunk food will get you though, because its nothing but fat and carbs. Good for after a run, but not good after a night of binge drinking.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Limit your money :laugh:

But I hear you. Once I turn 21... something's going to crash and burn.

I generally try not to drink socially unless I'm at a bar/ an occasional glass of wine for dinner.
  • dachinababe
    Options
    totally with you on that one. Its so hard to stick to my plans on sunday when I don't get home till 5 oclock am sunday. then all I do is pass out. when i wake up its usually 8pm. its so unproductive and freakin sux cause the hangover is killer. I'm trying so hard not to drink but its so so hard to not drink being a rugby player. ahhhhh!! hope u can find a way around this drinking thing and let me know the solution 2 :D
  • apalesko
    Options
    When I was in college, it was definitely tough with the cafeteria food, and trying to fit workouts around my class schedule, but I did at least okay on those fronts, if not fantastic. It definitely takes discipline, though, which is super hard when roommates are cooking brownies or something. My recommendation is to make trade-offs: yes, I can make brownies with my friends, but only if I go to the gym. No gym, no brownies! Something like that.

As for drinking, honestly, I just decided not to drink, and that was super helpful for my health! :) So I would recommend less or no alcohol.
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone who said trade-offs are key. I put on most of the weight I'm not trying to lose in college. :laugh: It's totally manageable, you just have to come up with a plan and not beat yourself up for the times you might slip up. College is responsible for some of my best memories--don't focus so much on getting down on yourself that you forget to enjoy it!!

Now, I'm not in college anymore, but I work full time and am doing a part-time master's degree while living in a city full of 20somethings, so there are still tons of excuses to go out and blow calories and money like none other. My plan on weekends is basically to wake up, work out, and then get on with my day. Even if (like this past Saturday...) I'm hungover, I can still drag myself out for a mediocre run. And then I feel better the entire day, because it's not hanging over my head and I know how many beers/cocktails I can have to stay within my calorie count.

Good luck!! :drinker: