Trouble Eating

Options
ive always had an appetite where i can eat once or twice a day and would be fine, i almost never feel hungry. I drink plenty of water, and about 3 weeks ago i stopped all fast food and soda. 2 weeks ago i signed up to a gym and i work out for an hour mon-fri and sometimes i go again at night for an hour, when i do eat its healthy food but i feel like im forcing myself to eat. Is there anything i can do to make myself more hungry? its frustrating that i actually keep gaining weight and i dont eat... i know you have to eat more to lose more so any advice would help, thanks.

Replies

• Mizz1993
    Mizz1993 Posts: 10
    Options
    Try eating more carbs, this could help. That's all i can think could be the problem.
  • Samst19429
    Samst19429 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thanks.. it just seems hard to me bcuz i feel like im forcing myself to eat when i do
  • Shmemily001
    Shmemily001 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I could be totally off, so take this with a grain of salt. My first thought is that your blood sugar levels could be really off and crazy if you are only eating once or twice a day. Your body may be in starvation mode, and storing all it can when you finally do eat. I've noticed that when I cut my calories way back, my appetite went away, but I had to force myself to eat something at least every 4 hours, and then a little protein right before bed, and a little protein right when I wake up in the morning.

If your metabolic process if wonky, you will not lose weight. You have to get your metabolism balanced and under control, and that includes blood sugar levels.
  • Samst19429
    Options
    i appreciate that i definately need to find out about my blood sugar, unfortunately my doctors appt isnt until next month but when i do go im going to have them check on that. im pretty sure my metabolism is all messed up also but hopefully there will be a way to figure it out, thanks a lot. i guess im just going to have to keep trying to eat even when i dont want to.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should look at it as filling up the tank to fuel your body. If you eat more often and just smaller meals maybe it would be easier? Snack every 3-4 hours instead of trying to eat an entire meal? I actually have to force myself to eat after my morning work-out. I'm not hungry, but after burning 350-650 calories, I need to fill the tank back up so I keep it running and burning. I dont eat that much, but I get a protein drink or a couple poached eggs down. I have a similar problem of usually struggling to get my calories in now. I'm just not that hungry, but need to fuel the machine, right?
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I could be totally off, so take this with a grain of salt. My first thought is that your blood sugar levels could be really off and crazy if you are only eating once or twice a day. Your body may be in starvation mode, and storing all it can when you finally do eat. I've noticed that when I cut my calories way back, my appetite went away, but I had to force myself to eat something at least every 4 hours, and then a little protein right before bed, and a little protein right when I wake up in the morning.

If your metabolic process if wonky, you will not lose weight. You have to get your metabolism balanced and under control, and that includes blood sugar levels.

Great advice. Your body chooses a "normal" weight so you have to reset it.

LEPTIN and GHRELIN

Are the names of two chemicals that tell you whether you are hungry or full. It's possible these could be slightly off or your basic chemicals that transfer signals in your brain (dopamine/seratonin) are off. Do you have any depression or fatigue through the day?

. There are hundreds of chemical processes in your body. Fix those and you will fix your issues.

The good news is, they are all fixable through natural means

For more info: http://wellfitlife.me
  • Samst19429
    Options

LEPTIN and GHRELIN

Are the names of two chemicals that tell you whether you are hungry or full. It's possible these could be slightly off or your basic chemicals that transfer signals in your brain (dopamine/seratonin) are off. Do you have any depression or fatigue through the day?

. There are hundreds of chemical processes in your body. Fix those and you will fix your issues.

ever since i started the gym ive been wanting to take naps throughout the day, but on a normal basis since highschool [ im 24 ] i actually have trouble sleeping, i can be on 2hrs of sleep and still wont be tired or be able to fall asleep until 2 or 3am the next night. the gym is starting to help i manage to fall asleep by 12 lately but i still wake up at 7am to go to the gym. i know a big issue is also that u need enough sleep because it effects the weight. thanks i will definately check out the site :smile:
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Eat higher calorie dense items (fiber one bar, whole grain bread, meat (not fish/chicken), etc. Then also graze through the day vs meals. Eat a small (volume size) bit here, small bit there, and soon the calories should add up. Maybe preplan in the morning on what all your "snacks" / meals and see what the calorie & nutrition is, that way if it's not nigh enough or quite right you can start looking into substitutions. Dairy, meat, grains are all nutritional and higher calorie too. (make a smoothie? ... probably not with the meat though!)
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options

LEPTIN and GHRELIN

ever since i started the gym ive been wanting to take naps throughout the day, but on a normal basis since highschool [ im 24 ] i actually have trouble sleeping, i can be on 2hrs of sleep and still wont be tired or be able to fall asleep until 2 or 3am the next night. the gym is starting to help i manage to fall asleep by 12 lately but i still wake up at 7am to go to the gym. i know a big issue is also that u need enough sleep because it effects the weight. thanks i will definately check out the site :smile:

I'm willing to bet there is a good deal of chemical stuff that's off. Between 11pm and 1, te body tends to start "detoxifying" the liver. Usually, if you wake up between 1 and 3, your body has run out of nutrients to continue the processes. I imagine you usually have to pee around that time, too? It wakes up because it's generally used up the nutrients it can and is now asking for your help to release some of the toxin via using the bathroom. The bad sleep and sleepiness is no doubt screwing with cortisol (stress hormone), which Should be high in the morning and low at night.

Melatonin should be kicking in at night to raise seratonin levels and help you sleep. Some people like to take supplemental melatonin (at night) to help reset this cycle. Find it at bett health stores.

Force yourself to get on a hi quality multivitamin (NOT ONE-a-day) and drink lots of water/eat.

LOTS of cruciferous vegetables (look it up).

This will take a good 2 to 6 months to reverse but you should begin feeling better in a couple weeks.

Wellfitlife.me
  • Samst19429
    Options
    Eat higher calorie dense items (fiber one bar, whole grain bread, meat (not fish/chicken), etc. Then also graze through the day vs meals. Eat a small (volume size) bit here, small bit there, and soon the calories should add up. Maybe preplan in the morning on what all your "snacks" / meals and see what the calorie & nutrition is, that way if it's not nigh enough or quite right you can start looking into substitutions. Dairy, meat, grains are all nutritional and higher calorie too. (make a smoothie? ... probably not with the meat though!)

sounds smart about the fiber bars! im somewat lactose so i cant have too much dairy and im not really a meat eater i mostly eat chicken, i guess i have a longs way to go to figuring out what i should and shouldnt be eating... as snacks i make a smoothie with frozen fruit, yogurt n juice but i definately need to find foods high in calories [ but not fast food or greasy ] thanks !
  • Hattieross
    Hattieross Posts: 17
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts here. I am a Registered Nurse. Instead of forcing yourself to eat full meals, just break them down into smaller ones; 4-6 times per day.

When I worked with a personal trainer some years back she recommended that and I lost 23 lbs.

If you don't feel hungry, make yourself a healthy smoothie and drink it.

I love banana/peanut butter smoothies made with silken tofu, apple juice, frozen banana and a couple of teaspoons of P.B.

Just toss in blender with ice and you've got yourself a satisfying "meal" in a glass.

Hope this helps.
  • Samst19429
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts here. I am a Registered Nurse. Instead of forcing yourself to eat full meals, just break them down into smaller ones; 4-6 times per day.

When I worked with a personal trainer some years back she recommended that and I lost 23 lbs.

If you don't feel hungry, make yourself a healthy smoothie and drink it.

I love banana/peanut butter smoothies made with silken tofu, apple juice, frozen banana and a couple of teaspoons of P.B.

Just toss in blender with ice and you've got yourself a satisfying "meal" in a glass.

Hope this helps.

i really dont eat big when i have full meals im trying the small meals a day its definately s struggle. that smoothie sounds delicious i have to try that :happy: :tongue:
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Getting more sleep or into more of a regular sleep pattern could definitely help as that's that peak time for your body to repair itself. The better repaired it is the better and more efficient it's going to run, sort of like a car.

You may also want to consider not so much how often you eat, but more when you are eating. you want to be sure to eat within an hour of waking up to get your metabolism running, an hour or little more before working out, and then within an hour after finishing working out. Not necessarily full meals (you dont want to be sluggish) but more so solid snacks containing a nice mix of simple/complex carbs and some protein/fat (for example wheat toast, peanut butter, and banana or if in the morning oatmeal/berries/cottage cheese or a glass of milk) You need to fuel your muscles so that they are working at their maximum capacity so that they can really crank up your fat burning ability during those times during and in between workouts. if not fueld properly they wont burn fat stores but instead will start feeding off of themselves.

to increas your appetite try getting yourself on some sort of schedule. for myself i eat breakfat/lunch/dinner at 7/1/6 every day with a snack at 10 and 3:30/4ish (at least during the week. weekends are harder). if you get on a schedule after a while it becomes habit and your body will tell you "hey it's 10 am time for that snack, or hey it's 1, stop what you're doing and feed me." Again, not every meal needs to be huge. it can be as simple as a banana or a granola bar for snacks and a salad or cereal for a meal. They key is you never want to get to the point where you're starving. keeping a happy balance will help keep blood sugar levels level and help you lose wait.
  • Samst19429
    Options
    Getting more sleep or into more of a regular sleep pattern could definitely help as that's that peak time for your body to repair itself. The better repaired it is the better and more efficient it's going to run, sort of like a car.

You may also want to consider not so much how often you eat, but more when you are eating. you want to be sure to eat within an hour of waking up to get your metabolism running, an hour or little more before working out, and then within an hour after finishing working out. Not necessarily full meals (you dont want to be sluggish) but more so solid snacks containing a nice mix of simple/complex carbs and some protein/fat (for example wheat toast, peanut butter, and banana or if in the morning oatmeal/berries/cottage cheese or a glass of milk) You need to fuel your muscles so that they are working at their maximum capacity so that they can really crank up your fat burning ability during those times during and in between workouts. if not fueld properly they wont burn fat stores but instead will start feeding off of themselves.

to increas your appetite try getting yourself on some sort of schedule. for myself i eat breakfat/lunch/dinner at 7/1/6 every day with a snack at 10 and 3:30/4ish (at least during the week. weekends are harder). if you get on a schedule after a while it becomes habit and your body will tell you "hey it's 10 am time for that snack, or hey it's 1, stop what you're doing and feed me." Again, not every meal needs to be huge. it can be as simple as a banana or a granola bar for snacks and a salad or cereal for a meal. They key is you never want to get to the point where you're starving. keeping a happy balance will help keep blood sugar levels level and help you lose wait.

im really happy that on this site there are people like u and the other people who posted who are so helpful. this is really helping me a lot :bigsmile: im going to try to set certain times of the day to eat and find better food to eat that would help with calories... thanks a lot for the advice its really a big help:smile: