RIP Junior Seau

Options

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    According to a North County Times report, Junior Seau is dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest.
    Didn't he have a lot of concussions? A lot of these NFL folks who have been killing themselves have been doing so in a way to preserve their brains.
    Ok...weird questions, but if I was getting ready to off myself, I think the last thing on my mind would be "oh...let me make sure to keep my brain intact for everyone!" I don't get that....
    At least one, Dave Duerson, shot himself in the chest. Before his death, he texted his family asking for his brain to be used for research (hence why he shot himself in the chest). Months later, researcher neurologists at Boston University confirmed Duerson had suffered from a neurodegenerative disease linked to concussions.
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    RIP Junior! A sad day! :'(
  • wolfehound22
    wolfehound22 Posts: 887
    Options
    A total surprise.
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    so sad.....
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    As a football fan in general, he was a class act and I loved watching him play. RIP Junior. I hope you find peace wherever you go.
  • hrtoftx
    hrtoftx Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm weeping from just seeing his mother on the news, sooooo sad...

Yes! That was just horrible to watch. My heart goes out to her and the whole family!
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    So sad!! Watching the reports on OTL on ESPN. I remember Junior from his years with the Patriots, such a great player and a great man. He will be missed.

RIP Junior.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I'm weeping from just seeing his mother on the news, sooooo sad...

Yes! That was just horrible to watch. My heart goes out to her and the whole family!

:sad:
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    Sad day for Patriot's fans too. He contributed a lot during the time he was with the team. :(

We Pats fans loved him--so shocking and tragic, he will be missed. What a loss, he will always be an amazing football legend.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    According to a North County Times report, Junior Seau is dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest.

Didn't he have a lot of concussions? A lot of these NFL folks who have been killing themselves have been doing so in a way to preserve their brains.

Ok...weird questions, but if I was getting ready to off myself, I think the last thing on my mind would be "oh...let me make sure to keep my brain intact for everyone!" I don't get that....

Second Impact Syndrome (if that is what Junior had, i do not know) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-impact_syndrome - is a very serious thing. and quite a few athletes who are suffering from it have been commiting suicide in a way to preserve their brains so that studies can be done to get us closer to being able to spot it earlier or to prevent it. (i doubt there could ever be a cure) the suicide preserves their dignity and the chest shot preserves the brain for study.

however, that said, i don't remember anyone starting to wonder if he had parkinsons or early-onset dimensia (often what SIS is first thought to be). and with the earlier attempt, it sounds to me like he was suffering from severe depression. and if that was it, i'm sorry that he didn't get the help he needed.

if it was SIS - then i'm sorry he didn't say good-bye to his family first.

either way, it's tragic.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    so sad....im sure its been mentioned but i bet he shot himself in the chest to preserve his brain for study. athletes are donating their brains now for concussion/brain injury research. he was probably dealing with a lot of stuff.

and then to see his mom ask to be taken instead? heartbreaking...
  • willforbes
    willforbes Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    CRAZY!!! The NFL is a cirus! There is always something shocking happening year round. I can't believe Junior was that bad off mentally.
  • boltsfan704
    boltsfan704 Posts: 30
    Options
    seau-1.jpg
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For those more in the know than me - is there a precedent for posthumous induction into the Hall?
    https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=pro+football+hall+of+fame+posthumous
    Thanks - many, it would seem.
    It would also seem appropriate to do exactly that for Junior.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    At least one, Dave Duerson, shot himself in the chest. Before his death, he texted his family asking for his brain to be used for research (hence why he shot himself in the chest). Months later, researcher neurologists at Boston University confirmed Duerson had suffered from a neurodegenerative disease linked to concussions.

Yeah, but the odds of someone else doing that for the exact same reasons just seems like a 1 in a million chance. Just...odd I guess. I find it intriguing, really. Still feel for his family and friends...RIP...
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

Yeah, but the odds of someone else doing that for the exact same reasons just seems like a 1 in a million chance. Just...odd I guess. I find it intriguing, really. Still feel for his family and friends...RIP...

Why 1 in a million chance?
  • Skeebee
    Options

Second Impact Syndrome (if that is what Junior had, i do not know) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-impact_syndrome - is a very serious thing. and quite a few athletes who are suffering from it have been commiting suicide in a way to preserve their brains so that studies can be done to get us closer to being able to spot it earlier or to prevent it. (i doubt there could ever be a cure) the suicide preserves their dignity and the chest shot preserves the brain for study.

however, that said, i don't remember anyone starting to wonder if he had parkinsons or early-onset dimensia (often what SIS is first thought to be). and with the earlier attempt, it sounds to me like he was suffering from severe depression. and if that was it, i'm sorry that he didn't get the help he needed.

if it was SIS - then i'm sorry he didn't say good-bye to his family first.

either way, it's tragic.

thanks for the info! Definitely tragic and sad. I wish he would have received help sooner.
  • Skeebee
    Options

Why 1 in a million chance?

Well, I just look at it where when someone wants to commit suicide, there is usually an underlying cause or issue; whether mental illness, stress...etc. The chances of someone wanting to kill themselves in the same way for the same reason, have the SAME profession, AND want to preserve their brain? Just seems like a lot of things to line up is what I mean.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    For those more in the know than me - is there a precedent for posthumous induction into the Hall?
    https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=pro+football+hall+of+fame+posthumous
    Thanks - many, it would seem.
    It would also seem appropriate to do exactly that for Junior.
    Oh, yeah. He's a shoe-in.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

my guess is people dont usually shoot themselves in the chest because you probably have a greater chance of feeling pain/lasting longer/missing vital area. so since Seau did its likely he was trying to preserve his brain for research even if we never find a text/note stating that.