Lost weight everywhere BUT my THIGHS!

Options

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    In the end of the day it is possible to lose weight if you are in the overweight category - but we can not actually change the shape of our bodies - just enhance it slightly through exercise ...... if you have bigger thighs embrace that - and learn how to best dress to make the best of your features, as unfortunately there is no miracles that will give you slim legs......

Some girls have very skinny legs - and some of us (yes I am one with "thunderthighs") will never be able to wear skinny jeans - that is why they make bootleg jeans ;-)

Love who you are!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Genetics has a lot to do with it. It'd be great if we could pick areas to reduce fat from. Well technically we can with surgery, but I'm talking the natural route.
    Just gotta keep banging away and hitting it hard. Little by little it will go.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am still on my way. I am almost done with 200 squats, and my thighs shrank 2.5 inches! (Body weight squats)

twohundredsquats.com

Now I am working on yoga, pilates, and walking fast to keep up the loss.
  • ChristinaWgettingfit
    Options
    I had the same problem as I don't drive and walk almost everywhere. They got bigger when I took up aerobics. My instructor told me to try Pilates and Yoga combined for 30 minutes 3 - 4 times a week. These workouts really made a difference and I lost two inches off each thigh after 6 weeks. I also stopped looking so crunched up as the pilates and yoga combined stretched and elongated my thigh muscles..along with the rest of me. I gained half an inch in height, my posture and walking gait is much better and I look leaner and more toned. Give them a try and see how you go. :happy:

are you taking yoga and pilates classes or doing a DVD at home?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem as I don't drive and walk almost everywhere. They got bigger when I took up aerobics. My instructor told me to try Pilates and Yoga combined for 30 minutes 3 - 4 times a week. These workouts really made a difference and I lost two inches off each thigh after 6 weeks. I also stopped looking so crunched up as the pilates and yoga combined stretched and elongated my thigh muscles..along with the rest of me. I gained half an inch in height, my posture and walking gait is much better and I look leaner and more toned. Give them a try and see how you go. :happy:

You can't elongate muscles without elongating your bones. Muscles are connected to bones.

Where we lost weight it genetic. Just keep reducing your overall body fat percentage until you hit the point where your thighs start losing.

I find this happens shortly after you learn to love your body for what it can DO rather than what it LOOKS like. :wink:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I just want all you pear shaped girls to know, and I mean this in the most respectful way, but I think pear shaped women are way hot!! It is a very feminine and sexy look. In some cultures, like the brazilian culture, this is the epitome of beauty. Don't let the media tell you you should look like they say. You are beautiful the way you are! :flowerforyou:
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I just want all you pear shaped girls to know, and I mean this in the most respectful way, but I think pear shaped women are way hot!! It is a very feminine and sexy look. In some cultures, like the brazilian culture, this is the epitome of beauty. Don't let the media tell you you should look like they say. You are beautiful the way you are! :flowerforyou:

love this!
  • lac5454
    lac5454 Posts: 5
    Options
    bump
  • kacbldmm07
    kacbldmm07 Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm with you. Mine are bad I have to buy shorts two sizes to big for them to fit my dang thighs. Grrr
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    "i like thighs tho" -Col. Sanders
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Always the last to go for me as well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You have to lower your overall body fat. And the best way to cut fat is .......... strength training! So drop the cardio, pick up some heavy weights and have a deficit around 20% less than your tdee.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I say love your thighs lol
    I have a friend who has had 2 children and is now in her prenatal pants, and is also a pear-shape. But I've always been a tad envious of her shape. She's beautiful.
  • DANCINGDEB2012
    Options
    That is incredible. I can only do about 25 squats. You go girl!!!
  • DANCINGDEB2012
    Options
    That's what I was saying before. I love my curvy hips.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm an hourglass but have the same trouble with my thighs. I'm technically at a maintenance weight (though I'm trying for a few more lbs) and my thighs are still not proportional. I lost it from my waist, bust, arms, everywhere else first. Yay genetics.

About 2 months ago I added weight lifting (like heavy weights) to start building up my overall muscle tone because that will increase my BMR. Eventually, your body will run out of other places to burn fat from and it will HAVE TO burn it from the thighs. Still a work in progress but it's getting better.

So my best advice, focus on increasing your overall lean muscle mass to bump up your metabolism.

Also, appreciate the fact that carrying your weight in your thighs as opposed to the belly puts you at much lower risk for conditions such as diabetes and heart disease.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped. My thighs have gotten smaller but yes, they are still where the majority of my fat is store. I lift weights. I like how my thighs look with muscle underneath the fat. Better than just fat.
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options

love this!
    That is good to know that someone thinks that! lol
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It might not seem so, but you gals are SO LUCKY. I have no hips. I have no rear-end. In fact, just today I was at the grocery store and I noticed that my jeans were ever-so-slightly too big at the waist. I am not kidding when I say that if I hadn't pulled up my pants at regular intervals, they would quite literally have fallen off my body. :sad:

If I had unlimited funds, I would take a photo of Christina Hendricks to my local plastic surgeon and beg them to at least TRY to replicate the curves. I'm jealous of y'all. :)
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar issue. I'm also pear-shaped. I'm thinking about going to "maintenance weight" even though I'm still a few pounds away from my original goal. I feel like I'm losing my curves with the weight loss, and I don't like it! I don't necessarily want my thighs to get smaller, just more toned. I want to lower my overall body fat and attempt to get rid of that lower belly that seems to never go away too.

I do cardio every day (usually running and/or walking, but also Zumba) and occasional yoga or pilates classes. I typically net about 1450 calories.

I'm assuming the advice here will be to lay off on the cardio and do more strength training, but I'm just not sure how to get started. Any advice on balancing it out to tone without losing inches?