Oatmeal the night before?

Options
Does anyone make their oatmeal a day or two before hand so they can easily just warm it up for breakfast the next day?

...tastes the same? do you just microwave it for a minute or so?

there are a lot of healthy oatmeal recipes i've found to get fruit servings in my oatmeal...
but they are too long to make in the morning..
some are "boatmeals" *baked oatmeal
some is just regular stove oatmeal
...how long do you think it'll stay "fresh" in the fridge?

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I've made steel-cut oats, eaten one serving, and put the rest in the fridge for additional meals. It works great either cold mixed with yogurt, nuts, and berries, or warmed in the microwave. Haven't tried it with quick cooking oats because well... they're quick cooking.
  • leelafit_mtl
    leelafit_mtl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hey I never thought of doing this, might be good who knows! I also like to bake my own granola, easy and very convenient.
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/11/11/check-out-my-oatmeal-cake/

think i could make these ahead of time?

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/09/21/five-minute-chocolate-oatmeal/

this is a recipe i can easily just make in the morning :)
  • jodismith23
    Options
    I have made steel oats the night before and they just don't taste the same to me. It wasn't bad just didn't taste fresh. With regular oatmeal it is even worse. It is thick and clumpy.....but I like mine a little more wet. Guess it depends on your likes. Good luck!
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    also does anyone have good oatmeal recipes?
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I mix 450ml of milk and 3 scoops of protein powder and then distribute it into 3 small bowls with lids, and just mix 25g of raw oats into each one. That's my next three mornings done, I just microweave it for 90 secs (stirring every 30). I do it every third night.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    this is the best way to make Steel cut oats as they take so long to cook 30 Min not your quick style EZ oats that your used to. It would make breakfast a bit difficult for a busy morning.

Steel cut oats put in the pan with water bring to boil shut off and leave covered all night. Next morning ...Heat & Eat
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've also made steel cut oats beforehand and had enough for 5 days, stored in the fridge. I just add some milk/water and microwave until its hot enough for me :smile: tastes the same, or even better because if you flavored it before it allows the flavor to soak in. If you add extra liquid when cooking, and then put in the fridge a little more watery, the oats soak the water as well giving it a bit more volume as well.

I haven't tried with old fashioned or quick oats though, because if I don't have time to make those in the morning, I usually just have something else...
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering, is there a difference between regular instant oatmeal and steel cut oats? Quality? Taste?
  • hapykhiken
    hapykhiken Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh I've totally done this.

On Sundays in the winter, I'll cook up a big(ish) pot of steel cut oats on the stove and dish it into those Glad/Ziploc bowls to cool and store.

I'll typically eat those oats for 3 mornings. I make a point of making the oatmeal with water, never with milk. I'll occasionally add some soy or regular milk when I reheat them to add back in some moisture. I reheat them in the microwave and eat them on the way to work.

And the awesome thing is? If you store the oatmeal before adding any dried fruits or spices, you can change it up from day to day so you never get sick of the same flavor!
  • fruitloops313
    fruitloops313 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love the steel cut oats. I make a pot in the oven on Sunday night, and it lasts me through the work week. In the mornings , I just dip some out, add some frozen fruit and nuke it for a minute.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I've actually been doing this for the past week. :) I found this on Katheats.com and I've found another link:

http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight,+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors!

Here's my personal recipe:

In 2cup capacity mason jars, I put 1/2c non-quick cooking oats, 1/2c fat free greek vanilla yogurt, 1/3-1/2 skim milk, and 1 tbsp of chia seeds for omega 3's. Then, I let my imagination go crazy. This week, I'm adding a handful of blueberries and 1/4c smuckers sugar free syrup. Put the lid on, and put in the fridge at bedtime. Last week, I put a handful of chopped strawberries and some honey in. SUCH a great, easy, and simple breakfast to go, and easily transportable for someone like me who like to wait til they get to the office and eat their breakfast :)
  • hapykhiken
    hapykhiken Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are less processed oats than your typical Quick Oats or instant oatmeal. It looks different, takes longer to cook, and tastes different. There's definitely got more of a texture to steel cut oats as they hold up better in cooking.

If you've never tried them before, try buying just a serving (or two)'s worth from a supermarket's bulk bins. One pre-packaged package makes quite a few breakfasts, so if you try them and find you don't like them, you won't be out much money or effort.

The great thing about steel cut oats becoming more popular lately is that they're more readily available in more brands and in your grocery's bulk bins!
  • vahine03
    vahine03 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i make my daughter oatmeal (i can't stand it) 1/3 cup quick oats (normal large bag cheap stuff!) 1/2 cup water, nuke for in in microwave, before stirring add one motts fruit cup puree of choice, little brown sugar/cinnamon, stir then add milk (or french vanilla creamer, 1 tbsp or less to taste!) serve. works great in fridge and i think she actually prefers it the next day reheated (18 sec, stir, 15 sec stir, serve)
  • alyciamarlene
    alyciamarlene Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So this is a completely different recipe that I stumbled across a few weeks ago, and I have to say I have been eating it almost daily every since! It's cold oatmeal - which turns some people off of it but just give it a shot, it's so quick and SO GOOD.

I make up a few containers the night before and then in the morning you just grab one and go! My favorite is the Apple/Cinnamon variation.

http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight,+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors!

*Edit! As I was posting this someone else beat me to it!*
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just microwave Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal mixed with cinnamon and about 8 blueberries. For me it is 1 min 45 secs and then add 1/2 cup of skim milk. It's fast, simple and I like the taste plus you get the added benefits of the cinnamon and blueberries in addition to the oatmeal.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    So this is a completely different recipe that I stumbled across a few weeks ago, and I have to say I have been eating it almost daily every since! It's cold oatmeal - which turns some people off of it but just give it a shot, it's so quick and SO GOOD.

I make up a few containers the night before and then in the morning you just grab one and go! My favorite is the Apple/Cinnamon variation.

*Edit! As I was posting this someone else beat me to it!*

That's because great minds think alike! : )
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I've actually been doing this for the past week. :) I found this on Katheats.com and I've found another link:

Here's my personal recipe:

In 2cup capacity mason jars, I put 1/2c non-quick cooking oats, 1/2c fat free greek vanilla yogurt, 1/3-1/2 skim milk, and 1 tbsp of chia seeds for omega 3's. Then, I let my imagination go crazy. This week, I'm adding a handful of blueberries and 1/4c smuckers sugar free syrup. Put the lid on, and put in the fridge at bedtime. Last week, I put a handful of chopped strawberries and some honey in. SUCH a great, easy, and simple breakfast to go, and easily transportable for someone like me who like to wait til they get to the office and eat their breakfast :)

those recipes look awesome...cant wait to try them!
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I cook my steel cut oats in my crockpot.

1 Cup steel cut oats

2 Cups Milk (I use skim but you can use whatever you like almond milk would be delicious.)

3 cups water

1/4 granulated Splenda (optional- if you don't do artificial sweeteners you can add what ever you like.)

1 tsp vanilla extract (Ok, I am heavy handed with the vanilla and it usually more like 2.)

That is my basic recipe. I add extras depending on what I am in the mood for, pumpkin, bananas, and blueberries are my favorites.

Here is the website I used to for cooking directions.
    http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2009/01/overnight-crock-pot-oatmeal.html