You're getting too skinny.

Options

Replies

• stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I hate it when that happens..my BF% is 20.3 and I wnat it to be under 15%....I'm always like "No, I am not too skinny, yet"
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My theory about this is that our country has gotten so used to seeing overweight/obese people that our peers have a hard time identifying what a healthy weight look like. I get the same kinds of responses. I'm just within the healthy range for my height and I even catch myself glancing in the mirror and thinking "dang, I'm getting too skinny". The reality is, I am not. I'm just used to looking at an overweight me.
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    According to my BMI I'm still considered "overweight" at 5'10" and 190 lbs. A couple people have told me that I've started to look "too skinny", while I thank them for their concern, I'll decide myself when I'm comfortable in my own skin.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I say do what feels right for you!! Maybe they are jealous or maybe they are not used to seeing you thinner!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Translation: "Stop losing weight because it makes me feel bad".
  • andrearaquel48
    andrearaquel48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just tell people, "Thanks for saying such a nice thing! I feel great, but I have a few more pounds to lose before I'll be at a healthy weight for my height."

Love this!! I think this is a terrific response.

Also, I haven't read all the responses so maybe someone mentioned this, but there is research out there showing that people who are overweight feel less overweight when those around them are also overweight. So as you alluded to in your post, some people may feel heavier as they see you getting skinnier. In a sense, some people may feel more comfortable with themselves if you are heavier. If you are still outside the healthy BMI range then you are doing great by trying to lose a few more pounds.
  • WarrantyVoider
    WarrantyVoider Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get that comment quite frequently. Curiously enough, it never comes from people who are in shape. It is almost exclusively from people who are happy to be overweight.

I think people just don't like being left behind.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    So how do you handle comments like this?

If it becomes a repeat issue and its officially getting on your nerves, I would remind them that until they have obtained their MD in Exercise Physiology, Endocrinology and Nutrition, you dont have to listen to them, and there will be no more comments from this moment forward.

My mother tried.......and failed miserably...
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options

This!

It's not their decision. It's yours!
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what to say to this, I think its a possibility ( i haven't looked at your pictures). There are some cases when someone does look better a couple of pounds heavier. My sister for example lost a lot a weight and got into her size 5 or 7 prom dress, when I look back on the photos I think she definitely was too skinny
  • amshumaker88
    amshumaker88 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Uggh, I hate when people do this. In my opinion, they do this because they are starting to feel insecure about themselves, and if they can make you stop than they won't feel as bad. I could be wrong, but that is what has happened to me before. The only way I know how to deal with it is by saying hey," it's my choice to keep going and if you don't like it too bad, I am doing this for me not you"
  • Wildheart_Baby
    Wildheart_Baby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had this from my mother in law recently, she thought that I'd lost enough weight and that I shouldn't lose much more, just thank them for noticing and that you'll keep going until you are happy and at a healthy weight for you.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    "Sorry you feel that way." and walk away.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    This happens to all of us I think. I am done and in a healthy weight range. I have muscle now, so admittedly I must look smaller than I weigh. But a co-worker of mine told me my neck was getting too thin. MY NECK! When she told me this, I had been maintaining my weight for about 4 months.

This really bothered me. I wish I had said something but all I could come up with after the fact was that I should have just said "Thank You" with a proud smile on my face.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Ignore, it's usually coming from people who are jealous or insecure. You look great!!
  • tiffanic83
    tiffanic83 Posts: 64
    Options
    I am going to comment on the other side of the spectrum. Your height and weight sounds fine for you, but if you want do more have at it :) I am over weight and I was very concerned years ago for mom when she lost 150 lbs. She had a lot of health issues and an eating disorder that went from overeating to the over extreme. Maybe your family truly is concerned and at least they care. My mom is 5'6 and got down to 150 lbs. She started to look sickly. But she was also overweight her whole life so a lot of that weight was excess skin so really she was more like 120. My mom thought we were all crazy for telling her we were concerned, but even her doc told her if she lost any more weight she was going to intervene. So no, it doesn't always come from jealousy or feeling insecure, sometimes it truly comes out of concern. That being said, its your body and if you're not underweight and you know it, I would just thank them for caring, but that you truly want to be the healthiest you can be! :)
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I had that same comment made this week at work! She's on this journey with me so I don't think it's ill intended and she is a nurse, but I am technically on the high end of my ideal and think I can lose five more pounds and still be at a healthy weight. I have had alot of comments lately about how much weight I'm losing and I haven't lost any weight! So I just say, "Actually haven't lost any weight in months, just slimming down I guess." Just smile! :happy:
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If these same "friends" did not express concern when you were overweight, their opinion should not hold value.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options

this, this, a thousand times, this!

the MOST crap i've gotten for my weightloss is from a good friend of mine who has always struggled with her weight. we were weightloss buddies a few years ago, but... she got frustrated and gave up, and i kept going.
    now, most of the time when i see her, i usually get to hear some heartfelt plea about how concerned she is for me, and how i'm taking it too far, and how she just worries that i'm taking it to an unhealthy place. one time this speech was sparked by the fact that i was weighing my dinner. i explained to her that the reason i WEIGH my dinner instead of using measuring cups is to make sure i'm not cheating myself out of any food! i want to make sure i'm eating all i'm entitled to, because dammit, i love to eat!
    one time she got cookies and i didn't, and she even spun that into me being too concerned about my weight. i didn't want a %*&%#* cookie.

how do i deal with it? i remind myself that it's the other person looking at me through the lens of their own experiences, and not anything i'm doing wrong. i'm nowhere near unhealthy. my habits seem strange only because i am disciplined, and most people aren't -- therefore, I'M the freak, somehow!

it's not you, it's THEM!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I take high blood pressure meds

My husban has high blood pressure 130/90 doc wanted him to go on meds. A week before his next doc. appointment he started "hawthorn 300 mgs twice a day" his blood pressure was 128/78 . He is also taking 1Tbs extra virgin coconut oil a day and his cholestrol and tryglicerides where down. All this being said he was up 5 pounds, so this wasn't due to weight loss.