HOW have you gotten successful?

Options
suzqmf
suzqmf Posts: 36 Member
Okay, so you're counting calories...is that it?
What are your secrets?
I see so many people losing weight so quickly - is calorie counting really all it is?
As this is day 5 I would love some tips and tricks to be one of these success stories!!

Replies

• LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    just part of it, I am not a big fan of exercise but i force myself to do some form of it a few times a week. also, don't let anyone fool you all calories are not created equal. I try to stay away from processed and sugary foods. I don't always succeed but I have cut way down. I try to eat lean proteins and fresh veggies as much as possible and lots of water.
  • suzqmf
    Options
    just part of it, I am not a big fan of exercise but i force myself to do some form of it a few times a week. also, don't let anyone fool you all calories are not created equal. I try to stay away from processed and sugary foods. I don't always succeed but I have cut way down. I try to eat lean proteins and fresh veggies as much as possible and lots of water.

Tim - you're down 39 pounds since February? See..that's AMAZING. Congrats!
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    Options
    not since Feb this year, but Feb 2011. I have lost close to 20 this year though. thank you though, you can do it weight training (building some muscle tone) will help burn fat faster. higher muscle tone = more calories burnt through out the day. just stick with it and you will see some results. also, make sure to check measurements sometimes you will see results there before you see them on the scale.
  • jaci34
    jaci34 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I for sure counted calories and also was mindful about what i was eating. I tried to cut a lot of the junk out. I also drank more water and I did for sure work out!!!
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Even just counting calories will make you at least pay attention to what and when you're eating. I exercise a lot during the week, as I do martial arts, but my main issue was just eating too much. Keeping an eye on it, even if I have some fast food here and there, has made a huge difference for me. Find what the cause of your weight gain was, and then move towards correcting that. Things like too much sugar or carbs can also cause it, and you can track those here too!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Mine was less about counting calories and more of just generally eating healthy. I kept track of it here since july I think just to keep an eye on trends. I also exercised (running and lifting) and cooked more meals.
  • suzqmf
    Options
    Thanks all...I would love some advice on my few days of diary.
    I think I'm doing good....I'm drinking 100 oz of water a day. Lots of veggies. Not sure what else I can/should do...
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    Options
    I think I'm doing good....I'm drinking 100 oz of water a day. Lots of veggies. Not sure what else I can/should do...

diary looked pretty good to me, but I am no nutritionist. I would say keep up the good work with that and add in some kind of weight training 2-3 days a week. doesn't have to be a lot of weight but anything to help build muscle will help you out. Insanity/P90x/30ds etc. are all good workouts you can do at home that will give you a good cardio burn as well as help tone up the muscles. or even just push-ups, pull-ups, situps, lunges. you don't need to get fancy just work the muscles some. :smile:
  • suzqmf
    Options

diary looked pretty good to me, but I am no nutritionist. I would say keep up the good work with that and add in some kind of weight training 2-3 days a week. doesn't have to be a lot of weight but anything to help build muscle will help you out. Insanity/P90x/30ds etc. are all good workouts you can do at home that will give you a good cardio burn as well as help tone up the muscles. or even just push-ups, pull-ups, situps, lunges. you don't need to get fancy just work the muscles some. :smile:

I am doing squats, sit ups, reverse crunches and some weight lifting - does that not show on diary? It's not counted as cardio...strength training - so It doesn't count towards my work outs?
  • ofthevalley
    ofthevalley Posts: 69
    Options
    I am down about 50 lbs since September.

I have been relatively successful because I can no longer afford not to be.

Once I started hitting the gym everyday, it became part of my life and now I ache for it when I can't go.

Food is my nemesis. I eat too much or not enough...I try not to count every calorie and just try to eat well. Small changes, smaller portions, less processed food, etc. Most of my success has been through blood, sweat, and tears...literally.
  • sarahdee2007
    sarahdee2007 Posts: 257
    Options
    I started my journey Jan 12 and the first twenty lbs, I didn't work out much. I just ate what I could to stay inside all of my daily goals. For the most part. I found that some days, you're just going to be over on some things in order to MEET your MINIMUM. I started jogging/walking at the 20lb mark, and the lbs are still coming off... A lot more slowly now.. But they are coming off. My diary is open to friends, so if you would like support, feel free to friend me!

I'm about to start weight training! I have heard the stronger muscles burn calories more efficiently. (Guess I'll find out!)
  • scarlet_goddess13
    Options
    I count the calories and do just normal everyday exercise. You would be surprised how quickly calories add up in food but how everyday activities burn alot more calories than they seem.

I drink alot of water and juices..try to stay clear of soda unless its diet. I slip up sometime but i think thats why ive had my success., i allow myself to splurge every once in a while.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Counting calories and exercising. I lost 20 lbs in about 3 months. I am now about 5-7 lbs from my original goal weight but that doesn't matter to me so much anymore. Now I'm just trying to work on how my body looks and further my running skills, or lack thereof. :)
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just count the calories, log every single thing I eat even if it makes me go over for the day, water until I can't drink anymore, NO FOOD WITH HFCS, and fresh fruit and vegetables as much as possible. Cardio, weight machines, and crunches at least 5 days a week.
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    I am getting much better results by eating my calories in a ratio of 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. It is making a big difference as I used to eat probably 70-80% just carbs. The protein keeps me fuller and this whole thing is really surpressing my appetite! I have also been doing elliptical 3 times a week, but I think the 40-30-30 is what's really working. Oh, but I also have cut out sweets and soda during the weekdays. Nothing with refined sugar OR artificial sweeteners (except maybe some from sauces inmy lunch and dinner meals).
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Ive actually found I tend to lose more weight with gentle exersize but obviously full-on exersize would tone better an change your shape more - if hats what your after.
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You have to want to change your lifestyle! I started my lifestyle change exactly a year ago, and haven't looked back since. I watch my sodium, exercise(I don't log it because I don't believe half the calories burned on the database are true), and I try to stay completely away from sugar and white flour. I also ditched the sodas and drink water and green tea(unsweetened and brewed myself) I take multivitamins just to make sure I get my daily allowance because sometimes I get too busy to eat all of the nutritious foods.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you're counting calories...is that it?

Yep, that's it. :bigsmile:

17245635.png
  • suzannnicole
    suzannnicole Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13 lbs over a couple of months with very little exercise. I eat only whole foods, nothing processed. It's far more fulfilling. Don't deprive yourself! if you want ice cream, have it, but only 1/4 cup. Eat it slowly and enjoy it. For me, that makes this less of a diet and more of a lifestyle, which will help keep the weight off over the longer term. I eat all the foods I enjoy in moderation including wine and chocolate.

One food that is really yummy, versatile, and satisfying for the calories is polenta. I even make quiche crust from it! It's great in place of rice or pasta, as the carb in a balanced meal. It's great with beans, meat, cheese topping, marinara, or whatever. It can be sweetened for breakfast too. I mix it with oat bran for my breakfast and add cocoa powder. A serving has only 130 calories, compare to pasta at 200! I have to credit a lot of my success with low cal meals to polenta.

Foods NOT worth the calories, imo: pasta, bread, breakfast box cereal, rice.
  • Dlopez678
    Dlopez678 Posts: 97
    Options

I am doing squats, sit ups, reverse crunches and some weight lifting - does that not show on diary? It's not counted as cardio...strength training - so It doesn't count towards my work outs?

You can enter strength training under cardio as well. That way it will show the calories burned.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!