HOW have you gotten successful?

Options

Replies

• JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A complete lifestyle change, I exercise daily, Every month is a new Fitness challenge, I track my calories faithfully....and most of all I am accountable to myself
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    No real secret.. Just counting cals, and exercising! Losing this weight is VERY important to me I take it very seriously and I give it my all :smile: I don't deprive myself of my favorites, I enjoy them in moderation.
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    just part of it, I am not a big fan of exercise but i force myself to do some form of it a few times a week. also, don't let anyone fool you all calories are not created equal. I try to stay away from processed and sugary foods. I don't always succeed but I have cut way down. I try to eat lean proteins and fresh veggies as much as possible and lots of water.

I totally agree with you about the processed sugary stuff........POISON in my world!:sad: But now that I am breaking away from it........I realize that feeling better is way better than eating that stuff!:bigsmile:
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You diary looks good. You are eating back exercise calories and getting good protein. Losing weight is essentially caloric deficit. Body recomposition is a bit more. Don't be afraid of heavy lifting (squats, bench press, overhead press, deadlifts, etc.) and get at least 1g protein per pound lean body mass.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Eat well and train like hell. That got me from fat to fit.

Then I started counting calories. All I will say about that is, eat at a calorie deficit, but a reasonable one (not too big). And continue to train like hell.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Patience. I didn't lose weight fast but I am healthier then I was last year
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I drink my water. Also, I've cut out alcohol (liquid fat), white bread, etc., sweet treats like cake, cookies, etc. I limit my carbs but don't cut them out completely. Also, I have not given up, just keep at it and don't give up!! I've been trying to lose 11.8 lbs since October and my weight goes up and down. The most I've lost is 10 lbs (and then this week it popped back up). I didn't let that stop me....don't give up, no matter what. If you mess up and go over your calories, don't let it get you down. Pick yourself up and keep going!!!!!
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 707
    Options
    Probably the biggest thing is to understand that it is impossible to fail if you don't stop trying. You fall, stand up and brush yourself off and get your mojo back. Workout, it will help your self esteem and make you feel great, this journey is not just about losing weight, it is how you feel both emotionally and physically. Measure and weigh food we habitually under estimate what we eat and how many calories are in things.
  • sarahdee2007
    sarahdee2007 Posts: 257
    Options
    Thanks all...I would love some advice on my few days of diary.
    I think I'm doing good....I'm drinking 100 oz of water a day. Lots of veggies. Not sure what else I can/should do...

diary looked pretty good to me, but I am no nutritionist. I would say keep up the good work with that and add in some kind of weight training 2-3 days a week. doesn't have to be a lot of weight but anything to help build muscle will help you out. Insanity/P90x/30ds etc. are all good workouts you can do at home that will give you a good cardio burn as well as help tone up the muscles. or even just push-ups, pull-ups, situps, lunges. you don't need to get fancy just work the muscles some. :smile:

I am doing squats, sit ups, reverse crunches and some weight lifting - does that not show on diary? It's not counted as cardio...strength training - so It doesn't count towards my work outs?

You can enter strength training under cardio as well. That way it will show the calories burned.

I had no IDEA! You just made my day!
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Believing in myself finally.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Patience. I didn't lose weight fast but I am healthier then I was last year
    What she said. Patience is not my strong suit, so I vent to friends when I need to. But I don't quit. I don't give up. I eat a lot. I lift a lot. And just hang in there...
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I only park in the parking spaces that are the furthest away from my destination.
  • worstmomof4
    worstmomof4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For me personally....
    I try my best to eat the most wholesome healthy foods possible. I used to eat out a lot. I have dropped almost 70 pounds(hoping to pass that this week) in 10 months. I started by walking and using MFP. After two months I started going to zumba. I also tried a weights/toning class and have stuck with those this whole time. In November I added running(ok, so a very very slow jog) and have run a few three 5k's, and a 15k and shooting for a half in a few weeks. I'm slow, very slow but I am accomplishing things I never imagined. Calorie counting has been the foundation to it all though. The times I have slacked I watched the scale go up a pound or two or stay the same.
    I also have trainers who help keep me accountable. There are cheaper ones out there that can do a great job. My suggestion is look for a small business fitness place.
    Best wishes in your journey.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I started out slowly. First I started making better food choices and exercising a few days a week. After 6 months the weight stopped falling off so I critiqued my diet some and that's when I found this site and started counting calories. I continually read the message boards and fitness sites/magazines on how to make my diet even better. People say I'm obsessed now but they really don't get it. This is something I have done over the course of 2 years so to me my diet is not strict. I love what I eat and don't miss all the crap I used to ingest. I found exercises I love (Zumba, Running, Insanity, and P90X) to do so I don't dred working out. Anyone can do this they just gotta believe in themselves. I will never go back to where I was. I feel AWESOME!!!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Patience, persistence, consistency, commitment.. I eat good 80/20. I really started to see the scale move when I started lifting and cut out processed food.
  • jodyl70
    jodyl70 Posts: 94
    Options
    Accountability was the biggest motivating factor for myself. Realing that whatever I put in my mouth or excuses for not exercising were all my own choices......... a huge wake up call!

Have kept 50 pounds off for several years and almost at an additional 15 pounds down since January 2012. :happy:

You can do it - this place is an AMAZING support system!
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    Keeping the diary opened my eyes to the number of calories I was taking in a day. (That Cinnabon has 870 calories? Really?!) So setting a daily goal and staying under or near that goal most days has helped.

Note that I said "most". If I go out with friends now and then and blow past my goals for a given day, it doesn't mean I've failed. In fact, I'm probably more successful overall because I allow myself to have beer and pizza from time to time. I don't want to feel like I'm living in a constant state of deprivation.

Also, it was important for me to get of the mindset that, in order to reach my goals, I needed to make a long-term commitment to this effort. I couldn't allow myself to obsess over day-to-day fluctuations or even week-to-week progress, and I couldn't let myself get frustrated if I didn't get the results fast enough.

I started with MFP in November and had initially set a goal to be at my ideal weight by my next birthday in September. As I got into this, I came to realize that this was too ambitious of a target date. Now, the idea of a specific target date is gone. I'm estimating that if I stay the course, I'll be two-thirds of the way to my goal by September, and at my target weight sometime in early 2013. At this point, I don't worry about how much longer it's going to take - I just know that I *WILL* eventually get there, and that motivates me.

The other thing was to obliterate from my mind the idea that I could take days off from exercising. I plateaued a couple months in, and when I looked at my diary and my pedometer logs I saw that there were times when I'd go three, four, five days in a row without hitting my exercise goal of 10K steps. Once I decided that blowing off exercise was no longer an option, I got back on track.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I finally got the scale moving in the right direction. I upped my calories and got honest with myself. I stopped freaking out and sticking to 1200 calories. I try to eat 1800 and I no longer worry about if I can eat something. I make good choices and stopped my snacking on foods I knew I shouldn't. I was also doing a lot of cardio. I'm adding in more weights and changed my focused off marathon training.
  • ff1diver
    ff1diver Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I cut out all processed and fast foods...In the beginning I did alot of reps with light weights which did nothing for me...then I started lifting heavy with with low reps and wow what a difference. I keep my body guessing and change up my exercise routine about every 4 weeks...good luck...and most importantly...BELIEVE in YOURSELF!!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I explained what I did in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/579575-today-i-hit-goal-doing-this-5-7-sedentary-female

The second comment explains what everything is. As you can see, it worked for me!

Some things I've read that will make you feel better along the way:

For your fats, eat mono and poly unsaturated fats (there's 2 words that are often used for this, I forget them, google knows I'm sure)
    make sure you're getting all the vitamins/minerals/macronutrients/micronutrtients you need.
    Don't overdose yourself on crap like salt, and other processed food that leads to water weight
    eat enough fiber (research the different kinds for dieting ie fermentable fiber etc)
    eat enough water. I use to love water and somewhere along the lines I stopped. I started drinking more again and felt so much better (no stomach problems etc)
    macronutrients, I have no idea what the right ratios are. Everyone has backed up proof for a million different ones. So my theory is to believe no-one. Make sure you get 'complete' proteins in your diet so your not deficient on any of your amino acids.
    resistance training. The more muscle you have, the more calories you'll burn in the run of a day (lots of links on this as well if you look them up).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!