Colonic hydrotherapy, anyone?

Options
I've been curious about this for a very long time, and I just got a notice about a Groupon that would let me have a session at a really good price. Thinking it might be a good cleansing, and possibly helpful with some mild bloating/digestion issues.

Anyone done this? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Amy

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Your colon cleanses itself. Drink plenty of water and eat enough fiber. Maybe have some yogurt or probiotic supplements if you feel you need to support the balance of 'good' bacteria in the area. Sorry but that area is 'exit only'. ;-). Also I'd be worried that messing with that area artificially could mess up the balance of natural bacteria that helps keep you regular... You can usually deal with bloating/digestion issues by adjusting your diet. Some people are more sensitive to certain foods.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I prefer taking a huge dump to clean my colon
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've done it...its a gimmick. didn't feel much different afterwards.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Those can be more dangerous than they lead you to believe. I wouldn't do it.
  • erikab2231
    erikab2231 Posts: 3
    Options
    I know someone who knows someone who dropped dead after doing this. (On Long Island, btw). A nurse, perfectly healthy person. Of course there could be more to this story but it freaked me the hell out.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    If they are using just water it's a waste of money. Essential oils like peppermint and lavender though can disinfect without harming the good bacteria.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    disagree with all of the posters - i regualry do this and feel the benefits phsycailly and mentally. I have had digestion issues for a long time but the very best 'secret' about this is really the benefit to your skin - cleaning your digestive system completely is the best beauty treatment you can get and I have got better results than any facial i've ever had.

It might not be for everyone, but i'd recommend trying it a few times and deciding for yourself. :)

PM me f you want answers to any questions.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Your colon cleanses itself. Drink plenty of water and eat enough fiber. Maybe have some yogurt or probiotic supplements if you feel you need to support the balance of 'good' bacteria in the area. Sorry but that area is 'exit only'. ;-). Also I'd be worried that messing with that area artificially could mess up the balance of natural bacteria that helps keep you regular... You can usually deal with bloating/digestion issues by adjusting your diet. Some people are more sensitive to certain foods.

This. I don't understand why people insist on thinking our bodies can't cleanse and detox themselves. How ever did we survive for thousands and thousands of years without all these things?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    All of this 'cleansing' stuff is a fad and crap, just crap. Go crap, you empty your colon that way and it's done naturally. The ONLY weight you lose while doing that crap, is crap! You're not cleansing your body of anything but CRAP. Your liver removes toxins and they go to your crap, you crap it out and it is, hopefully flushed. Don't waste your money, time or any other crap on it.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    It's poop.

According to Chau Che MD, with New York University:

"Despite evidence to the contrary, the idea that colon cleansing is therapeutic by removing impurities, lives on. However, these claims largely fail to consider normal physiology. The digestive tract has inherent properties that work to clean our colon. After food ingestion, the small intestine absorbs nutrients and contracts to move indigestible residue into the colon. The colon continues the digestive process by absorbing and secreting electrolytes and fluids while its resident bacteria ferments the undigested food products. These are just some of the many mechanisms in which the digestive tract works in order to ensure that the colon does not become encrusted with fecal matter as some products claim. The black, rubbery material passed on a colon cleanse is actually a byproduct from the supplements and fiber in the colon cleansing product as opposed to old fecal material, in which consumers are led to believe."

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1605
    Reviewed by Michael Poles MD and Fritz Francois MD, NYU Division of Gastroenterology
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    My aunt who is a cancer patient does it very regularly. She believe it has help her plenty. I have not ask to much or she will push me to do it. I think is a good tool to detox, but Iam young, I am regular, I eat yogurt blablablabla so Its not the time to do it for me.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    You can save money and use a garden hose up there.
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options

LOL. The thing that everyone wants to say but no one wants to say.
  • spaceys
    spaceys Posts: 58
    Options
    I tried it for the first time yesterday. Not too impressed. And not pleasant.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

LOL. The thing that everyone wants to say but no one wants to say.
    Nah, around here we just go ahead and say it.

OP, there's really nothing that needs to be cleansed. If you are having digestive issues there's no logical way this could help. And it might do you some harm. I'd stay away.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    This is something that can cause more harm than good. If you start "cleansing" something that is taken care of by balances in your own body, you can cause an unbalance of the natural good/bad bacteria and other flora/fauna in your intestines. Next thing you know you will have some weird infection that has no cure and ruin the internal plumbing of your body. This may sound extreme, but stuff like this DOES happen.

One example which is very common. (And this one is from taking something that is usually medically necessary.) Say a person gets pneumonia and takes antibiotics. Antibiotics kill ALL the bacteria in your body. There are good bacteria in everyone's bodies that keep yeast (candida) infections in check. If you take antibiotics for ten days to two weeks you can get yeast infections just about anywhere in your body. Esophagus, on your skin, vagina, mouth, rectum.. just about anywhere. I know this because I had ALL of those at one time from taking antibiotics for a stubborn case of pneumonia about 25 years ago. It took several months to get this stuff under control, but I still have many intestinal problems which I never had before that time. Why do something medically unnecessary and chance screwing up a balance that may not be able to be balanced again?? Take a shower, wipe your butt, brush your teeth and leave the rest up to the expert... your own body.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    And it might do you some harm.
    Yep. If you're interested in risking a perforated colon, this is your best best.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options

This. I don't understand why people insist on thinking our bodies can't cleanse and detox themselves. How ever did we survive for thousands and thousands of years without all these things?

People HAVE been doing enemas for thousands of years. Not to mention the typical modern Western diet has de-EVOLVED into complete toxic crap. Toxins absolutely are stored in your colon, liver, kidneys and fat cells. I have been getting colonics for 20 years, because they work, tons of benefits and never a single problem! What the earlier poster said about skin it absolutely true. I used to suffer from chronic eczema, and nothing has kept it under control better than colonics (and good diet, of course). Do your research. If done by an IACT certified (this is important!) practitioner it is quite safe. I realize they are not for everyone, but don't be afraid of something you know nothing about. Don't do it if YOU personally don't want to, but don't give bad advice to someone who might want to try it.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    And.. if a person feels their body is dirty and needs extra cleansing that normal personal hygiene doesn't take care of they may have a psychological disorder and should see a professional. Some people who this could include are: people with eating disorders, OC disorder, hypochondria, just to mention a few.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Again - not all therapies and treatments are for everyone. There eis no definite answer here. I truthly believe in this therapy as much as i believe in herbal medicine, chinese therapies like cupping and acupuncture and as much as i am against processed foods or artificial ingredients including protein shakes etc.

however some people think thees help them and work for them and all i have to say is to each their own - whatever works for you - only you know your body and the way it responds to things...

My point is that everyone should make their own choices. Try it, see if it works for you - all i can say is that it is one of the things that makes me feel the healthiest i have ever felt. Just my own experience.